shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped Princess what to do???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
Well I sent in my princess to WF because the prong was busted and they came back telling me, yes it is, and the corner is chipped as well. Anyway.. they told me to get in touch with my insurance and see how they want to handle it. Whether they want to replace the stone or repair the stone. Is it possible to repair these? I love this darn diamond so much and would hate to have to swap it but I don''t want to have a bad rock now. Also don''t know what to expect when I call the insurance but if they say they want to repair, should I be saying no I want a swap?

Also... how would it work if the stone is replaced. Is the insurance company out the whole amount or can that stone be made into a slightly smaller stone so much of it is recoverable?

Thank you,

Jared

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They'd have to recut the stone to remove the chip (unless it is so tiny that it can be smoothed out). I'd certainly want a replacement unless it is some kind of family heirloom, and I assume it's probably not since it is a relatively new cut. The insurance company will resell the old stone. Hopefully your insurance will be cooperative and let WF replace the stone.

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
Well Vera at WF said it was a very small chip and could possibly just be polished out. I really would like to go this route. I was thinking though... should I get some money back from insurance if I did go that way? The value of the rock would drop so you would think I would get the difference. I''m thinking.. if I don''t get any money, why wouldn''t I swap it for a brand new diamond with no flaws? Here''s a pic of the chip.

pqowt1325411.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is insurance companies let you claim once, then cancel. When I asked my insurance company about potential claims that's what they eluded to. So I would only make an insurance claim for something major like a complete loss or chip that can't be easily polished out.

Others might have experiences with making multiple claims and hopefully they'll chime in. If it were me I'd let WF polish it.

Are you the one whose DF lost the ring in a bar one night? Do you think this is when the damage happened?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm gonna go a little against the grain here. From the pictures it doesn't look like a very big chip. SO, I probably wouldn't have it polished out (because of the mindclean issue-- you said 'bad' rock) or replaced (because you love THAT stone). I'd hold off on either option now (not like you can't excercise either in a couple of weeks) and send it over to a cutter (Paul at Infinity, Brian Gavin at Brian Gavin Diamonds, or Bill Bray are the 'usual' PS cutters) for an evaluation-- it looks like it's just the crown and the girdle so they might be able to do something very minimal to 'fix' it again. Or if WF is still offering recuts ask them if they can do something to make it 'good' again. I'm am sorry this happened. I don't know what I'd do if mine were chipped.

Swing-- yup this is the couple that lost the ring in the bar. Um, can I suggest maybe a bezel setting? Maybe lo-jack too?
10.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear - did the prong get caught on something?
7.gif
Sorry about all this Jared, I know how much you love this diamond!

wacamaster

Rough_Rock
We''re not sure what happened but WF is sending it to a cutter to have it evaluated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results