shape
carat
color
clarity

chipped princess cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
guess who''s back? Yep, its divergrrl. I was cleaning my diamond and it has a huge chip/crack in the crown I think. (where the top of the stone becomes the side, its the edge, so to speak.

What now? Do I get it fixed? Is it even fixable? How could this happen? Is it from an inclusion that weakened the stone. Criminy. This has been the ring from hell. I am afraid to tell my hubby and break his heart, he was so proud of this stone, and it already chipped during setting the first time & had to be repolished. (it graded out better cuz it lost an inclusion in the corner--poor guy, this is gonna be tough on him.) I want to cry, because this is so frustrating. I am terrified its gonna break right in my setting or something~

help!

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
I am sooooo sorry to hear that!!!!!! My hubby and I have had problems with our princess cut too so I can relate. We had to have our repolished due to an indented natural. Do you have an extremely thin girdle? Telling him right away is the best bet. Do you have insurance on your diamond? If you do, you could replace it. How long have you had it, it doesn't sound too long.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Divergirl,

I'm so very sorry this happened to you
I wish I could tell you just what you should do.

I don't know for sure but I've heard people say
An extremely thin girdle can chip a princess away.

A difficult lesson to learn...best of luck.
8.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it's insured, replace it straightaway. If not, this is a great reason to have insurance!!

Don't know what else to tell you. If it's not noticeable or a big deal, keep wearing it. Over time diamonds will have very tiny chips out of their girdles anyway for the most part..but its the big ones that may bother you.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Mara,

I do have insurance, thank God, my stone is 1.13 carats, and the chip is slightly noticeable, but you can feel it. and when I pulled out my loupe to examine it, its got some traveling cracks, much like a windshield that used to have a chip that ran.

I am concerned about the structural integrity now. I will call my insurance company, but I am so sad inside. :( I went through a lot with this ring, having it set in the wrong setting for so long, now that its in its new setting (which I re-insured, and had re-appraised, so it wasn't chipped during resetting, that's for sure) and I LOVE the new setting, and it is everything I want. This is my engagement diamond, it went down the aisle with me.

Like I said, this is gonna kill my husband. He was so proud of it, and this is the SECOND chip. I am beginning to think that there are more reasons that just eye clean quality to choose a low inclusion stone.

I've heard, and maybe one of you can clarify, that inclusions are the main cause of cracks and stuff in the girdle, pavillion, crown area. I need to look at a diagram of a stone to tell you where the chip is, I don't have the name memorized.

My insurance replacement value on the ring is 10k, but I have 2 trillions in this ring (.44ctw, G, VS2) and a white gold setting, the trillions I think were about 800 of that and the setting was only 300.

I want to cry. I don't even want to think about a new stone, but I don't want to repolish it and lose MORE carat weight. I already lost .14 when it was polished when hubby first bought it and the setter chipped a corner putting it into the setting.

Help Mara!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm sooooo sorry to hear all of this
sad.gif

I hate to say it but maybe this stone just isn't the one for you! You could always think of it that way!
1.gif
Maybe have it set into a pendant and get a new stone if you can afford to? Or you may just have to trade it in and then get a new stone with a better setup for non-chipping.

It's very depressing to know that you have gone through all of this but maybe it's for the best? Things happen for very odd reasons and all of this trauma with this stone creates negative energy around you.

You mentioned in the past maybe going for a Round Brilliant. Maybe it's time to think about something different! A different shape, something you can really research and get behind.

Yes the hubby will be sad--esp if he feels like the stone he bought for you was flawed to begin with. My guy is very sensitive about stuff like this, I have to be careful to be sure how I *say* things so that he doesn't read more into it. It may take some finessing, but you will get the telling done. Then at least the WORST is over with. Then take him out to dinner.

You've been gone for a while and we have missed you, sad that your return is prefaced with a horrible chip story
sad.gif
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results