shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped my diamond !?!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somehow I chipped my diamond. It is not huge but I noticed my fingernail stuck in one spot on the girdle. With a 10x loupe I couldn't really see anything so I thought maybe it was gunk stuck in the side. I cleaned it really well, but it's still there. (ETA didn't clean before taking macrojumbo pics - d'oh!)

So I used this macro camera app through my loupe and after 15 grueling minutes of shaky photography acrobatics and holding my breath so I didn't move, was able to snap a shot of it. I read on here that James Schultz has successfully removed chips with little carat loss. That however was a thread from 5 years ago. As my stone is only .63, I certainly would appreciate less weight loss … (on the stone).
:rolleyes:

Anyone have any more recent experience with chip polishing/recutting? I realize most places are going to be swamped with Holiday orders, and this is by no means an emergency. Iit has probably been there for some time, just since I realized it was a chip, now it bugs me, but I'm okay waiting until after the holidays to get her fixed … if it's a realistic possibility.

_35442.jpg

_35443.jpg

_35444.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the ring insured?

How often do you wear your ring? Maybe consider resetting in a bezel so that the chip will be out of sight, out of mind?

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi - another cheaper/easier option may be to get your local jeweller to unset your diamond, rotate it slightly, then reset it with the chip hidden under a claw - out of site and protected from further damage with minimal fuss and cost. It's only a matter of heating the claws to bend out and unset & then bend back to reset.
Good luck with it.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
That's too bad you chipped it. You could deal with it one of two ways: rotate the chip under a prong or have it polished out. Lots of places can take it in and most likely send it away for a repolish. The chip is tiny and you probably won't lose more than 1 point in weight. This guy specializes in such repairs. I learned about him in a GIA class but haven't used him.

http://wecutdiamonds.com/services.html

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not insured, and because we used my mom's setting that my dad proposed to her with, for our engagement, I'm reluctant to make a new ring. Of course I have been eyeballing ags0 stones which I could put in the ring, and out this stone in an earring or pendant, but really i would like to keep it as is.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hadn't thought about rotating the stone to hide the chip under a prong. That is a possibility for sure. The jeweler would be able to tell whether there is any additional damage or durability issues, right? I worry there's a cleave or something.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
ringo865|1449061598|3956379 said:
I hadn't thought about rotating the stone to hide the chip under a prong. That is a possibility for sure. The jeweler would be able to tell whether there is any additional damage or durability issues, right? I worry there's a cleave or something.

A jeweler would need to unset the diamond in order to fully inspect it and make sure there isn't other damage. I would see if you can find a local jeweler (not a chain/mall store) who would inspect it for you, and possibly reset with the chip under a prong, if there aren't durability concerns. But it may be possible to polish out the chip!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ringo865|1449061598|3956379 said:

Read some reviews and find a local jeweler that is trustworthy to offer an opinion. Rotating is possibly a good option, polishing may also work. Once you are offered options, I would also encourage a 2nd opinion. Great job finding the chip yourself - that will be aid you when you discuss it with the jeweler and he proposes solution.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results