shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped my current diamond and need help finding a new one

PuppyLove

Rough_Rock
Hi! I chipped my current diamond. No idea how but it is a shallow cut stone with a thin girdle so while upsetting, not totally out of line. It is 1.1ct, E in color and VS2 in clarity round diamond with a good cut on the shallow side. However, inspite of it's cut, it is a gorgeous diamon! My insurance will replace it and we've agreed on an amount. They will send me a check once they have my current stone in hand. I am having a really hard time finding a replacement stone. These boards have been a huge help!

I've decided that I'd like a bigger stone this time but with a lower color grade and a lower clarity but still naked eye clean. I've gone to a few B&M stores but they don't have much to look at between 1.2 - 1.5 ct. I've seen some pretty stones but none seem to have the fire that mine does. In addition, few have GIA certified stones (almost all EGL) or ideal cuts (ony 1). I do not like stones in the G/H color in less than ideal cuts. I can see the difference vs. my E colored stone. I did see an H color ideal cut stone and I could not see any color difference so I think I am willing to go that low if the cut is ideal. This stone was 1.50 ct, H, SI1, and AGS certificed. It was pretty. It had an HCA of 4.3 and an AGA of 2A. Does the lower HCA score make that much of a difference? They wanted $19,000 for it which is way beyond my $15,000 budget. But then I think how my stone is a good cut and it so sprakly? Am I making a mistake ruling out less than ideal cut stones?

I've noticed that JA and BN have a huge selection of stones and MUCH cheaper prices than B&M stores. Is it a safe bet to pick an ideal cut stone and order on-line sight un-seen?

I want a stone that is gorgeous. :)
I'd like to stay under $15,000.
Round
1.5+ ct
No less than H in color
Naked eye clean.

I would like the best bang for the buck.

The stone will be set in platinum

Thanks!

Here are a few I've found:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-f-color-si1-clarity_LD01967876
HCA - 1.2
AGA - 1B
I've email BN to find out of this stone is naked eye clean and haven't heard back.

James Allen will allow you to come to the NY office and look at up to 3 stones but I'd need to narrow it down to 3.
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1380868.asp
HCA - 1.8
AGA - 2B

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1380491.asp
HCA - 1.0
AGA - 1A
This one is a bit over my budget. But worth it?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1385220.asp
HCA - 1.8
AGA - 1B

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1377264.asp
HCA - 1.7
AGA - 1B
Is a little bigger worth the drop in color from G to H?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1354047.asp
HCA - 1.1
AGA - 1A
Another one above my budget but great specs if truly naked eye clean, larger than 1.5 ct but H color.

Sorry for the LONG post but I'm overwhelmed. Thanks!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Re: Chipped my current diamond and need help finding a new o

As far as the JA stones I'd want them to check on #2 and the last one that you posted, since they seem to be the better performers based on the information that you have on them.

PuppyLove

Rough_Rock

Holy rambling post I left. Sorry!

Thanks for the suggestion. Are SI2 stones naked eye clean? Also, the HCA on that stone is 2.2. Is that OK? And I have to admit, I don't totally understand the ASET pic. I'm assuming red and blue colors are good. What about the white spaces and the green? Thanks so much for your help!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

PuppyLove|1310413197|2966650 said:
Holy rambling post I left. Sorry!

Thanks for the suggestion. Are SI2 stones naked eye clean? Also, the HCA on that stone is 2.2. Is that OK? And I have to admit, I don't totally understand the ASET pic. I'm assuming red and blue colors are good. What about the white spaces and the green? Thanks so much for your help!

Which stone are you referring to?

All SI1/SI2 stones need to be assessed on a case by case basis to determine whether they are eye clean. IMO the HCA/AGA is pointless once you have IS/ASET images. The HCA/AGA should only be used to identify potential stones when you don't have access to images.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart.asp
http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

PuppyLove

Rough_Rock

thbmok -
Thanks for the links to the images. So... sites like BlueNile who won't send images, I should rule out?
What limit should I put on HCA scores to weed out stones? Under 2? Under 3?
I take it some SI2 stones can be eye clean, but just less likely than SI1?

Christina -
Thanks for the links. I'll check those stones out.

Is there a way to look at the images and have a good idea if a stone will be naked eye-clean? It's so hard to narrow the list down without actually SEEING the stones.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

PuppyLove|1310416195|2966697 said:
thbmok -
Thanks for the links to the images. So... sites like BlueNile who won't send images, I should rule out?

Christina -

Is there a way to look at the images and have a good idea if a stone will be naked eye-clean? It's so hard to narrow the list down without actually SEEING the stones.

I think as long as you have IdealScope and ASET images, any GIA XXX or AGS000 can be evaluated based on those more so than the HCA scores.
It is possible for SI2 stones to be eye clean. It is very hard to look at images and tell whether if a stone is eye clean because they are blown up many many times. A few things I look at are:
1) Types of inclusions: Twinning wisps or clear crystals are sometimes hard to spot. Black carbon dots are easy to spot. You can see the types of inclusions listed on the report.
2) Location of the inclusions: Inclusions located on the side can sometimes be pronged. Inclusions in the dead center or near the surface are easier to be spotted.
3) Define your definition of eye clean and have someone look at it for you: Some ppl are okay as long as they don't see the inclusion 6 - 8 inches away. Some ppl want their stones eye clean even when examined 1 - 2 inches away. You need to have it clearly defined and have someone look at the stone for you. I know JA, GOG, WF and BGD all do eye clean examinations for you.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

PuppyLove|1310416195|2966697 said:
thbmok -

Christina -

For sites that don't offer images, I would only consider AGS0 stones that come with the computer generated light performance map on the report.

For AGS0 stones, I don't think the HCA is necessary. For GIA Excellent / Very Good, a HCA score under 2 would be safer but some good ones may be left out. Again, IMO once you have IS/ASET images the HCA can be ignored.

It's definitely less likely to find eye clean SI2 vs SI1 stones. In my experience, if the stone does not have clouds/graining/wisps and looks clean in the images, it is most likely eye clean. A stone with clouds/graining/wisps can be eye clean as well, but in some cases the inclusions may show up under certain lighting conditions. In any case, always double check with the vendor with your definition of eye clean.

PuppyLove

Rough_Rock

I just found the same stone on Jamesallen.com and whiteflash.com. It is almost $800 cheaper on JA!! I have selected several diamonds on each site and am requesting more info - eye clean, idealscope image, etc. Just shocked at the price difference between the 2 sites for the same stone. Still shopping. BrianGavin offers a PS discount of 5%, yes? They are my next target to narrow down some options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results