shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped girdle

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So I have been looking at diamonds to upgrade my wife's diamond and setting for our 20th. Was looking at her current diamond under the loop and noticed a chip on the edge of the girdle from view the top of the stone, it gets worse I take a look at the side profile and it looks like a small chunk is missing on one of the pavilion facets below. From the top it looks minor, but it looks ugly from below with 10x. Can't see it without 10x but can catch a finger nail on the edge, the damage is much worse below. We have jeweler mutual insurance, how is a repair like this handled? I am not sure how a "polish" on the girdle is going to fix this, I am guessing it will need to be re cut?

The diamond is a 1.01 F VS1 AGS 1.

If it needs to be re cut I am guessing I am going to lose 10 points or so? So how does that get you back to whole if the diamond is now worth 2k less? If that's my only option I would suggest sending to BG for re cut and maybe end up with a super ideal .90?

So should my wife not wear this ring for now?

Thx

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Normally JM will just fund a replacement rather than engaging in a repair like that but, fundamentally, if the insurance company DOES repair, the procedure is to pay for the direct costs of repair as well as the loss in value of the piece. Talk to your appraiser about it. You almost certainly are going to want to file a claim here.

Estimating the weight loss is considerably more difficult than I think you're imagining and it makes a big difference in the math of what you're presenting.

Until you now a bit more about what is going on, no I would not recommend wearing the piece. In most cases it won't be a problem but there are a few where it's a risk and a real inspection by a pro is called for.

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I reported the claim, and dropped off the ring at our JM jeweler this morning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results