shape
carat
color
clarity

chipped engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kish

Rough_Rock
First time on this site, hoping to get some good advice? I have a small chip (my fault) on one side of my engagement ring - will this compromise the integrity of the stone and cause it to break? Also, is this repairable, and how difficult/expensive would a repair be?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 5/6/2003 12:53:17 AM Kish wrote:
First time on this site, hoping to get some good advice? I have a small chip (my fault) on one side of my engagement ring - will this compromise the integrity of the stone and cause it to break? Also, is this repairable, and how difficult/expensive would a repair be?
----------------
Hi Kish: Sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances. I can answer one part of your question for you. Where is the chip located. Depending on how deep the chip is and how dangerous it is for further cracking the diamond, a re-cut can be done. There are reputable diamond cutters who will recut your stone for you for a fee. It will however reduce the stones size (Carat Weight) depending on the severity anywhere from 5%-20% of the stones original weight. I would have the stone looked at by a professional and recut if it is an option, by not doing so It could lead to the diamond being damaged even further. Do you have the stone insured?? You might have other avenues to take if it is insured based on your policy???

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear about your diamond. Due to an indented natural, we needed to have our diamond polished. It was expensive, for ours to be done which polished off 3 hundreths of a carat (.03) it was about $350.00, not too cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does make the diamond smaller due to weight loss depending on how much is necessary to polish. We had to sign a waiver for our jeweler and for the professionals who polished it that it they take no responsibility for damaging the diamond in this process. I guess there is a great percentage depending on your stone that it may crack. That is a huge risk. Our diamond, thankfully was fine!!!!! Just be aware. Good luck with what you decide, does your insurance cover it????? I would check out replacing rather than polishing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results