shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

susanb

Rough_Rock
We bought a diamond engagement ring 2 days ago and today I noticed it has been chipped - it was not when we bought it. As I have hardly worn it and not done anything that I can think of that could have chipped it, what can I do now? Can I get the jeweller to exchange it or return our money? Is it possible that there was an inherent weakness that should have been told to us. I am so upset, can you please advise?

justme

Shiny_Rock
susanb - Very upsetting!

Are you sure it's chipped? How are you detecting the chip? Did you have the diamond insured? How do you know it wasn't chipped 2 days ago?

Is the stone certed - can you tell us what the cert says about the stone?

Sorry for the 20 questions - but they will help us help you.

Justme

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
There is also a type of exterior "inclusion" called a natural.

This is actually a piece of the diamond's rough skin commonly left on the girdle to retain more weight from the rough stone.

Another question is : Did you buy a used (estate) item?

As far as getting a refund, that of course depends on the jeweler's policies. I know that most jewelry store have signs stating "no refunds" or refunds only within xx days.

Obviously its good customer relations to please any customer with a reasonable and just request.

Perhaps it would be easier to negotiate a replacement diamond.

Just for consumer information... IF you bought a stone on the internet,and it was chipped, how would you prove it? Would the seller give you a refund or exchange?

It is advisable to have a diamond purchased on the internet sent to an appraiser first, as if there is damage on it, you won't get accused of damaging it. I'm not sure consumers understand this risk.

Rockdoc

susanb

Rough_Rock
The chip is on the east side of the oval solitaire between the 2 claws. I can put my nail slighlty into the chip and there is a hairline crack which goes further into the stone. It definitely was not there on Monday as even the light reflection is now slighltly different.

I don't understand how this could happen within 2 days of having it.

susanb

Rough_Rock
I'm pretty sure it's chipped, as I can feel a slighltly jagged surface on the side it's chipped and there is a slight hairline crack going into the stone. Even the light reflection has changed.

I am sure it was not there on Monday as I spent a lot of time looking at the stone. It is not yet insured. I got a certificate from the jeweller, but is should I also have a certificate for the stone.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

justme

Shiny_Rock
Did you buy the stone already set or loose?

On the cert what does it say about the girdle?

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
I know this is terrible news.

Was there anything in the inclusion plot
concerning that area?

I sincerely hope your jeweller will help
you with this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results