shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped diamond, no insurance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goodstuffmaynard

Rough_Rock
My wife has had her diamond ring since April of last year and just recently found a pretty large chip in it near one of the 4 prongs (it''s a round brilliant .52 ct btw). She doesn''t have all that active of a lifestyle and hasn''t been that rough on it so it doesn''t make sense to me that it would so easily. Unfortunately we don''t have any insurance on it.
7.gif

Is there anything we can do? Do you think she is safe still wearing it or is there a danger of the stone falling out due to the chip being under a prong?

Pics:
chipped_1.jpg

chipped_2.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh no. I am so sorry. Where did you buy it? Maybe they will have suggestions. I feel bad for you.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, do you have homeowners insurance? They may cover it.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Eep!
23.gif
I wouldn''t let her wear it until you get it checked by a jeweler. That chip looks fairly substantial. I am so sorry this happened! Just so you know for the future, if you have any type of homeowner''s insurance you can put the ring on that. My ring is covered under the renter''s insurance for theft or damage. Best of luck!

*M*

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If you have home owners insurance you should be covered up to $1000 for something like this.

In the meantime I would have a setter turn the stone so that the prong rests on diamond instead of airspace, or see if he feels the prong can be tightened and cover some of the chip.

Recutting and associated costs (shipping, etc) should run you $200-$250. You might not want to even bother if it''s not too objectionable to the naked eye.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
From the looks it - it is entirely possible for that stone to become loose in the mounting, as it looks like only three prongs are holding it in.

In that it weighs 0.52 carats now, it is probably going to loose about 30-35% of its weight, as the girdle has to be made lower - which in turn decreases the diameter, and hopefully there is enough pavilion depth to do that. It''s a little hard to see from the photo if there would be enough material to polish a new crown without losing too much weight.

As Richard noted, check to see if you have coverage for this in your homeowner''s or apartment renter insurance, and whether they will cover the cost of the repair for you. That is certainly a good suggestion.

Sorry to hear that your pet rock has a chip in it.
7.gif

Rockdoc

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 11:40:22 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
If you have home owners insurance you should be covered up to $1000 for something like this.

In the meantime I would have a setter turn the stone so that the prong rests on diamond instead of airspace, or see if he feels the prong can be tightened and cover some of the chip.

Recutting and associated costs (shipping, etc) should run you $200-$250. You might not want to even bother if it's not too objectionable to the naked eye.
Yeah, but unfortunately if it's not scheduled on their homeowners there will be a deductible (a lot of people have a $1000 deductible) and you'll lose any claim free discount on your insuurance you may have.
7.gif

goodstuffmaynard

Rough_Rock
No homeowners or renters insurance either--we''re just starting out so we don''t think of silly things like that! :razz: The diamond is actually from Whiteflash... I already contacted them but they can''t do much about it since I didn''t have insurance. Think I might try taking it in to a jewelers to either reset it or tighten the prongs like Richard suggested.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 10:35:01 PM
Author: goodstuffmaynard
No homeowners or renters insurance either--we''re just starting out so we don''t think of silly things like that! :razz: The diamond is actually from Whiteflash... I already contacted them but they can''t do much about it since I didn''t have insurance. Think I might try taking it in to a jewelers to either reset it or tighten the prongs like Richard suggested.
Maybe you can reset it in a bezel setting, allowing most if not all the chipped area to be covered. Just a thought.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
You could totally look into a bezel setting or a 1/2 bezel setting- or one of those antique style settings w/ the very wide prongs...

avlis

Shiny_Rock
sorry to hear about your chip.. on a side note.. a clean diamond is a happy diamond. also, i used to think i could not afford to have things like renters insurrance.. you cant afford NOT to have it.. think if your stupid party-a-holic neighbor burns the building down.. you have nothing. NOTHING. at least get some renters insurance.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Unless a chip is easily noticeable to the naked eye, and objectional in appearance, I usually advise my clients not to bother having it recut, unless they're planning on selling the diamond.

The naked eye beauty and presentation of the diamond is usually not diminished much (sometimes not at all), and the chip can be likened to the many bumps and bruises in life which make us grow and give us character.

If you should decide at some point in the future to sell the diamond, then recutting might be a good option. It eliminates the objection of the chip, making the diamond easier to sell.

Otherwise, why bother? Strategic prong placement, or a bezel setting can make the diamond look as good as the day it was purchased, and the chip is always a good identifying characteristic.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so sorry.

If you have it recut you''ll probably not get as nice of a cut without loosing a lot of weight.

If you just have it reset and position it so the prongs are over solid stone, you''ll have a rough edge left that will snag things and be sharp.

I would suggest looking at some bezel settings. WF has a nice one but it''s got a thick band. Also there are those settings with 8 prongs and you might be able to cover the chip but still have enough support to hold the stone securely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results