shape
carat
color
clarity

chipped baguette - will insurance cover?

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a tapered baguette setting and I noticed today that one of the baguettes is chipped. The ring is insured, but I am not sure that insurance covers repairs? We have USAA. Any insight is appreciated!

Your insurance may cover it, but it might not be worth making a claim. I would check with the jeweler who made your ring or whomever you are using for maintenance of your ring to see what the out of pocket cost would be to repair the ring. A claim on what may be a minor repair may jack up your premium unnecessarily.

I had a baguette broken in two when my hand was shut in a door. The cost of the baguette was $20 plus the labor to replace it and reshape the ring.

ponder|1451774172|3969777 said:
Your insurance may cover it, but it might not be worth making a claim. I would check with the jeweler who made your ring or whomever you are using for maintenance of your ring to see what the out of pocket cost would be to repair the ring. A claim on what may be a minor repair may jack up your premium unnecessarily.

I had a baguette broken in two when my hand was shut in a door. The cost of the baguette was $20 plus the labor to replace it and reshape the ring.
Yup, agree with ponder!

Oh if it's that inexpensive I would for sure pay out of pocket. I just browsed tapered baguettes in the size I needed online, and it seemed like they were in the $400 range. Iwill check on Monday with the local jeweler. Thanks!

I'd only use insurance for a major loss (like center stone lost or damaged). Someone here not too long ago was having trouble getting insurance because they had made 3 jewelry claims over many years. Definitely not worth claiming a few hundred dollars due to increased premiums and possible problems keeping the insurance if you have to make another claim later.

I went to a local jeweler to have a 2 point diamond replaced and have the bead settings checked on the other 6 melee. He wanted to
charge me $50. The shop wasnt that nice or anything. I said "No thanks". Took it to another jeweler and he charged me $25.

I have noticed that it seems like rings with baguettes in them are more costly then I would have expected. I agree with other's that
if you can get it done for a fairly low amount then it's not worth possible affecting your insurance coverage.

It's probably covered, but you may not want to file a claim anyway because of the reasons above. There's another nasty side effect of claims, even if they don't jack the rates. Homeowners companies like USAA participate in a system called CLUE that keeps track of claims activity. Too much activity results in cancellation of your homeowners policy. That's a violation of your mortgage contract and it sets off a whole chain of troubles. How much is too much? They don't say but anecdotal evidence suggests that 3 within a 10 year period is entering the danger zone. Do you really want your first to be a $100 jewelry claim?

Be attentive to deductible's on your policy. If you don't know how much your deductible is, ask your agent. Sometimes they're quite a bit, sometimes they're zero. Consulting with them on this issue is not the same as reporting a claim. Helping you to understand this sort of thing is part of what the agent is for so don't feel shy to contact them.

This is a common sort of repair. Talk to your favorite jeweler about getting it repaired and let them inspect it in person. Estimates are usually free and you'll then have a real number to work with in the above decision.

Thank you all for the feedback and advice! Our homeowners insurance isn't with usaa but our auto and valuable personal property insurance are. I am going in Tuesday to have the jeweler look at it and give an estimate. Our policy doesn't have a deductible, but no. I am not even interested in using the policy if the repair is that inexpensive.

Edit: we know all about having insurance drop or not cover you. We had a claim for a water damage in 2004 and when we tried to get coverage in 2007, almost no one would insure us because of that 10,000 claim!

Honestly, I don't love the setting anyway. If the repair is going to be $300+ I may just move on to a different setting.

unsettled|1451831434|3969980 said:
Thank you all for the feedback and advice! Our homeowners insurance isn't with usaa but our auto and valuable personal property insurance is. I am going in Tuesday to have the jeweler look at it and give an estimate. Our policy doesn't have a deductible, but no. I am not even interested in using the policy if the repair is that inexpensive.

Edit: we know all about having insurance drop or not cover you. We had a claim for a water damage in 2004 and when we tried to get coverage in 2007, almost no one would insure us because of that 10,000 claim!

Honestly, I don't love the setting anyway. If the repair is going to be $300+ I may just move on to a different setting.
Sorry for the brief distraction as I dive down a rabbit hole. I wasn't aware that USAA offered standalone personal property insurance. May I ask what state you're in? How long have you had this policy?

We live in Alabama. When we lived in Virginia our homeowners policy was with them. We've had the personal property policy since we got married in 2003. I don't know if they let us keep it because we had our homeowners with them at some point and we've always kept our auto policy with them. We live in the coast in Alabama and insurance premiums are expensive and we have to shop around almost every year!

Thank you all for the feedback and advice! Our homeowners insurance isn't with usaa but our auto and valuable personal property insurance are. I am going in Tuesday to have the jeweler look at it and give an estimate. Our policy doesn't have a deductible, but no. I am not even interested in using the policy if the repair is that inexpensive.

I have that setting with a pear. Honestly, it is the most difficult ring to find a non-matchy wedding band to go with, and in my
opinion baguettes are not very blingy. My SIL thought my baguettes were just part of the band (metal). Mine also sets very high.
I'my finally getting around to resetting my pear.

Hopefully, you can get it replaced inexpensively or...find a new setting that you like!

tyty333|1451832882|3969989 said:

I have that setting with a pear. Honestly, it is the most difficult ring to find a non-matchy wedding band to go with, and in my
opinion baguettes are not very blingy. My SIL thought my baguettes were just part of the band (metal). Mine also sets very high.
I'my finally getting around to resetting my pear.

Hopefully, you can get it replaced inexpensively or...find a new setting that you like!

I think as a standalone idea, the baguettes are amazing. And I love a baguette band, but I think it may be time for me to move on from the setting itself. I have had a version of it for 13 years and I am just sort of over it. This may be what pushes me over the edge. Mine is also set very high and not very comfortable. I find myself not wearing it all that much anymore for that reason. I saw that you are resetting with DK. It looks like it is going to be gorgeous!!! I had enough money saved up for a RHR project with a small pendant that I have, but it looks like I may be putting that money toward a new setting. Anyway......first world problems!

Ditto here on the not wearing it very often. There are two possible reasons why I wasnt wearing it and I'm not sure which one it
is, or if it's some of both. It set ups very high and even though it's only a 1.08 pear it is somewhat large for my neck of the woods.
I would say 90% of the time I was wearing my 5 stone ring only on my left hand ring finger...well, that was until I threw it out back
in Nov. ;( I had no intentions of resetting my pear until that happened. Might as well mix things up some and go for something new.
I'm planning on having the stone set a lot lower in the new setting which will probably also make it look smaller. Hopefully it will
solve both problems.

Well, good luck. These decisions are not easy...well at least not for me!

When you say threw it out, do you literally mean you threw it away?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP