shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipotle Mexican grill ¿Si o No

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 7:57:20 PM
Author: Mara
Chipotle is fast food Mexican...like a notch above TB.

and oooh NO on Don Pablos. I ate at one once in MN, and it was not good.

But I think it depends on where you live and what you consider Mexican food. I live in CA so we have Mexican by actual Mexicans, including my grandma! Mmm carne asada taco with onions and cilantro...the ultimate in simplicity!

But for most states I think someplace like Chipotle is what they got. It''s why I always cry when I think about moving away. To go where there''s no REAL Mexican? I think I''d die. Or at least take Grandma''s recipes with me. But in a lot of places I think you can find a more auth place if you look.
I agree. My friend who lives in Virginia loves Chipotle. I ate it there with him once, and it''s okay. It''s certainly better than Taco Bell if those are your only options.

Here in So Cal, I''d much rather go to my favorite drive-thru taco shop, run by Mexicans, for a $3.40 carnitas, carne asada or machaca burrito that is big enough for 3 meals. (I love tasty leftovers!) Now I''m craving carnitas with chopped cilantro and onions and a squeeze of lime in a fresh, hot tortilla.
18.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like Chipotle, and I''m not a big fan of Mexican food in general (authentic or fast). I particularly love the soft steak tacos with chili corn salsa!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like many here who live in places with a history of real Mexican food, I don''t consider ANY chain to be gen-u-wine, even if it is good food. (I was put off by the sterile atmosphere and the ghastly music the one time I walked in. I quickly walked back out.) There are great Mexican places all over my town, run by real Mexicans. AND, the gal who works for the janitorial service in my building - sweet gal by the name of Angelika - takes orders for homemade tamales every so often. Yum!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 11:02:42 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Not my thing. I''m not a fan of cilantro and they load their rice with it.
I''m with you on that; not a fan of cilantro either.

However, they will use plain rice on request!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Oh ladies im laughing my ___ off over here
9.gif
who watches south park?? admit it people - you''ve seen the chipotl-away episode havent you?!!

If not please you tube so others can laugh with me
36.gif

I have never been to, or even seen, a chipotle...so i cant comment on the food. But could i go in there having seen this episode?! maybe...maybe not
31.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
If you are on a diet.. I wouldn''t go there... most of their burritos average over 1200 calores.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 12:59:42 PM
Author: Allison D.

Date: 1/27/2010 11:02:42 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Not my thing. I''m not a fan of cilantro and they load their rice with it.
I''m with you on that; not a fan of cilantro either.

However, they will use plain rice on request!
Oh my gosh, I love their cilantro rice! Chipotle is good fast food, but it''s a totally different taste compared to good Mexican restaurants. Mmmm...now I want a taco.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Because of this thread I''m stopping in for a chicken burrito bol tonight.

So that''s an endorsement, I guess!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hate hate hate hate hate.

It''s on the same level as McDonalds to me - I''ll eat it if I''m starving and nothing else is around, or if BF is having a craving and I let him choose where we eat (for whatever reason). I''ll generally only eat half (at most) of their burritos.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Never eaten there before..and I don''t think there''s one anywhere near. In town we have Taco Johns and Monterrey. A few towns over they have a place I don''t know what it''s called but a Mexican woman JD works with goes there once a month and then we have burrito day-she said it''s more authentic there. (Ohh how I love burrito day..I have to pick out the cilantro but I let the kids eat whatever they want so they''ll leave me in peace to watch Sell This House Saturday morning and eat my burrito.) There''s also a Plaza Mexico, which is similar to Monterrey but better. There''s a few places in the big city, but we''ve not tried them yet. Carlos O''Kelleys is in the city and we''ve eaten there. I prefer Burrito Day and Plaza Mexico. I think I ate at a Casa Del Rey many moons ago. We''re so lacking in Mexican places here.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 8:53:32 PM
Author: ksinger
Like many here who live in places with a history of real Mexican food, I don''t consider ANY chain to be gen-u-wine, even if it is good food. (I was put off by the sterile atmosphere and the ghastly music the one time I walked in. I quickly walked back out.) There are great Mexican places all over my town, run by real Mexicans. AND, the gal who works for the janitorial service in my building - sweet gal by the name of Angelika - takes orders for homemade tamales every so often. Yum!
Oh my gosh, homemade tamales are my favorite food in the world! I''m very jealous, ksinger.
One of my closest friends is Mexican, and she has tried and tried to teach me how to make a good homemade tamale, but I just can''t do it right. She always makes me a big batch when she makes them for her own family, and I just eat them for days straight. Mmmmmm.

One of my students last semester was Honduran, and he made Honduran tamales for me upon learning that Mexican tamales are my favorite food. They were also delicious. Very different from the Mexican tamales that I''m used to eating, but delicious all the same. Oh gosh, now I''m really craving some tamales.

Anyway, I love authentic Mexican food, and I''m lucky to have a few good friends from Mexico who spoil me with their delicious food quite often.

I love Chipotle, too, though I don''t even think of it as Mexican food because it doesn''t even come close.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
not really, it''s kind of bland, under salted, under lubricated.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Haven''t read all the responses yet, but LOVE Chipotle. Delicious!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 4:03:48 PM
Author: tlh
If you are on a diet.. I wouldn''t go there... most of their burritos average over 1200 calores.
I didn''t want to mention this but I totally agree...

...if I do go, it is one of my monthly splurges. Even skipping the cheese, sour cream, guacomole, meats, and totilla... their "vegetarian bowl" can easily run over 1000 calories. Granted the ingrediants are generally fresh and wholesome... they just give you TONS of everything! And it''s sooo yummy IMO. You really just to have to watch portion size with Chipotle. It''s cheap and people think, "oh, fresh! oh, simple! oh, lean!" but it''s just soooo much food.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to let everybody know that we finally did go to Chipotle.
We ate there. It''s in a high end strip mall (if that makes any sense)
No lines but a steady stream of take out customers. Interesting
people watching.
The decor was "minimalist industrial" to say the least.
I had barbacoa bowl and DS had a steak burrito.
The burrito was huge and he rated it "A cut above Moe''s".
I tend to freeze when given too many choices
so not wanting to hold up the line I got the shredded beef
(like ropa viejo)a little rice, some black beans,sour cream,
pico de gallo cheese and guacamole.

The pros:
Everything looked nice and fresh
The rice wasn''t too full of cilentro
The black beans were tender and delicious
The salsa was home made and not hot
The cheese and sour cream were fresh tasting
The guacamole (my favorite Mexican food)
was superb and a large portion
The tortilla stayed hot in it''s foil

The Cons:
I know it''s called Chipotle. But the meat and beans
were too highly seasoned for me.
The shredded meat was very fatty
Only about half was edible
The steak was somewhat tough (DS didn''t complain though)
The guacamole was $1.75 extra

All in all we give it a B
And yes we will return and try something different
Thank you everyone for your input

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i''d been wondering if you had tried it, glad it passed!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I know they have a lot of options for those who are gluten intolerant.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I know they have a lot of options for those who are gluten intolerant.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results