shape
carat
color
clarity

Chip on old cushion cut cut diamond??

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, I’m considering buying this little chunker. It’s my first foray into antique diamonds. Am I seeing chips on the girdle where I circled? Online seller (who has good ratings) claims this is a bit bigger than 1.5 ct per face up size mm only (>7mm) but no papers and no comment on the 5 Cs otherwise. No description re chips either. Only tested via presidium tester for what that’s worth (can’t distinguish between lab and non-lab diamond?)

What do the experts think of the quality on the photos (I think it’s a bit banged up with wear in facets) although I do love the large cutlet)? How much would YOU risk on the purchase? (No returns unless not as described).

@Bron357? @StephanieLynn? @PreRaphaelite @stracci2000?

667928C4-7DDF-4C5E-A765-E4EA631A3338.jpeg D73FBD6B-C4A6-450C-A9A3-5FABCD3F386B.jpeg 65CF30CD-E6C0-4CE3-8EE7-772DA4B8E6BA.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should be all about the price! Without certification and with many chips and lower clarity (or cracks ?) and a gouge chip on the table I’d be paying very little for the diamond.
I don’t think it’s a matter of lab created vs natural (extremely unlikely to be lab) it’s more about whether the price being asked is in line with quality and condition of the diamond.
what price is being asked?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
My response may seem bizarre but it’s exactly the kind of diamond I would normally consider rescuing. But $1500 is not what I would consider reasonable, even at that size.

The reason is that, for this stone, even after a possible repolish, you’ll be dealing with serious inclusions.... (and it might even be the kind of stone that cannot be repolished at all, and you’d have to be happy with that possibility.)

So for a stone with pictures this unclear, it wouldn’t be the girdle that concerns me but rather the inclusions which are very difficult to predict in fuzzy pics. (Areas of concern in blue.)
D7CD02C8-D032-4889-96A2-9C228A253152.jpeg
Can you get better pictures? Any seller who refuses to accept a return should offer a plethora of outstanding, super closeup pictures, and anyone who puts up bad pictures should expect that they may get returns. It’s only Fair.

Were you seeking a larger stone? Or just an old cut? Do you have a specific budget in mind or are you letting your heart take the lead?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@PreRaphaelite Thank you for your sound advice. I may give this a pass unless I can get less murky photos. Also, I don’t typically buy unless there’s a return policy and a good one at that since it’s hard to buy jewelry period without being able to see it in person.

Size isn’t absolute for me although I would like a stone large enough so I don’t have to squint to see the open cutlet lol. So I’m thinking like around 3/4-1ct maybe. Not sure what budget I would need to have for that. I was hoping to stay $2-3k and under although that may not be realistic?Although I wouldn’t mind a very low color (I love warm color diamonds actually) to compensate, and SI or lower. Some chips are acceptable, but they’ll need to be disclosed.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry late to the party here but you have gotten good advice from Bron and PreRaph.

I would pass on this one especially with the combo of not great pictures and not great return policy. I always feel if someone wants to sell diamonds they will aim to take really good pictures from all angles and give a very thorough description especially if they don't take returns.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@StephanieLynn Thank you for taking the time to weigh in, I appreciate it! I always enjoy reading about and seeing the beautiful goodies you and @stracci2000 manage to snag for amazing prices on the other thread—it’s especially nice to read and enjoy after a long day at work so thank you for letting me live vicariously through your adventures!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too much $$ in my opinion. It is a significantly “damaged” diamond, there’s numerous chips to the girdle and an obvious big chip out on the table, poor baby has had a hard life.
So I’d be paying $600 tops for it.
I think you can do better, keep looking. It’s one thing to buy a lower colour, modestly included OEC for $1,500 to buying an OEC that is mangled for $1,500.
If the seller doesn’t take returns, don’t buy.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to see better photos before spending 1500.00.
If the seller only shows pics, and doesn't mention inclusions and chips, which this diamond appears to have, then I would be wary.
I look at Ebay a lot. It seems like some sellers don't want to mention defects in a piece, but will simply say "the photos are the description" and let you take a gamble.
Also, I would want to see profile and underside photos. That's very important to me as well.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
It’s a hard no from me! Too much of a gamble for the price. If the faceting was drop dead gorgeous maybe...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results