shape
carat
color
clarity

Chip in diamond sidestone, need ideas for a new setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueberrygirl

Rough_Rock
This was originally posted in Rocky Talky:

Hello everyone! I am sad to say that after wearing my e-ring for barely five months, one of the side diamonds is chipped, right under the girdle. I think this may be due to fact that all three stones in the ring are set with half bezels, leaving the girdles out in the open. (pics below, not of the best quality, as my digital camera is kinda crap...) The ring was cusom designed by my fiance and a jeweler (family freind). Anyway, I am seeking advice as to what I should do: get a new stone from the jeweler, or get all stones re-set into a more secure setting? Perhaps I could make the half-bezels full? The chip is quite small, but it is there, and I don't to just leave it. Thanks everyone for your help!

8.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi blueberry,

If you like your setting as is, I''d probably just keep it about the same, replace the chipped stone and put the stones in full bezels so they are more protected.

Shawna13

Rough_Rock
Hey girl!
Your setting should be fine. It''s a most beautiful setting and I am totally in love with it.
For one of the side stones to chip I would think it would have had to be whacked pretty hard, or wasn''t structurally sound to begin with.
You could have the jeweller show you a pic of what a full bezel setting would look like and see which you like better.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oh your setting is so pretty I would just replace the stone. It was probably just a fluke that it got chipped. I too have a three stone ring with half bezels. I have had it for a year now with no problems. Even with prongs there is some exposure to the girdle. Just protect yourself by insuring the ring.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I like your idea about getting a more secure setting, with full bezels. Would you necessarily have to replace the stone if you do this? I know it might bother you that it''s chipped, but in a full bezel, you wouldn''t see the chip if it''s under the girdle. Just my thoughts.

blueberrygirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! Fiance and I have decided to ship the ring back to the jeweler and go from there. I am interested in replacing the stone, however, if she (jeweler) suggests otherwise, I''ll go ahead and get a new setting. We''ll just have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results