shape
carat
color
clarity

Chinese Archaistic Jade

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any of you knows about antique Chinse jade? I got very excited recently after finding a jade pendant representing a Chinese dragon. It looked like the white jade pieces from 11th Century BC and was incredibly beautiful. A very good auction house called me as soon as I sent them pictures and asked me to bring it in. I had a few nail-biting days, when I thought the jade would be worth at least £40K and feeling sad that I wouldn't be able to keep it.

But they phoned back to say it was made at the beginning of the 20th Century so they won't be able to sell it. So disappointing! I had been sure it was ancient after they phoned me so quickly...:(sad

I'm wondering if this could be archaistic jade, when they copied archaic styles as a homage rather than to trick buyers, and if if it is at least worth a few hundred pounds. I want to keep it & wear it as a pendant for the time being but like knowing the value of my jewellery!

Thanks for any advice/knowledge,

All the best

L

Archaistic Jade.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am far from expert on the subject, but I am fascinated by jade and have read a good deal on it (still light-years from understanding it well). It is my understanding that a great deal of "artifacts" were manufactured over time. Unfortunately, only an expert of jade can tell many of the real artifacts from copies.

For some fun reading on the subject of jade, I can heartily endorse

https://www.amazon.com/Jade-Life-En...ndrew+shaw+jade&qid=1615655655&s=books&sr=1-1

Also, this book:

The former is a wonderful journey into jade culture through western eyes. The latter is an amazing journal of endless information and artifacts. It is also HUGE AND HEAVY.

I am sorry your piece did not end up being authentic. That is definitely disappointing news.

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
Thanks, MMtwo! I will have a look at these books.

Mine could still be 'authentic', in the same way as Egyptian revival jewellery was a style in itself. From my understanding, there was a fashion in China to pay respects to the older artisans by copying their designs, but not in a dishonest way - it was just a trend and these archaic-inspired pieces are called 'archaistic' and collectable in their own right... But I don't know if that extended to the early 20th Century.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, MMtwo! I will have a look at these books.

Mine could still be 'authentic', in the same way as Egyptian revival jewellery was a style in itself. From my understanding, there was a fashion in China to pay respects to the older artisans by copying their designs, but not in a dishonest way - it was just a trend and these archaic-inspired pieces are called 'archaistic' and collectable in their own right... But I don't know if that extended to the early 20th Century.

You are correct, so sorry, I misspoke and should have used the word "ancient". The tributes are touched on in these books, I believe and they do have historical merit.

The mysteries of jade :)

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s really lovely. You could cross post in Colored Stones. They have jade experts there as well, some might know about historical pieces. It would be really interesting to find out more about your piece!

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
You are correct, so sorry, I misspoke and should have used the word "ancient". The tributes are touched on in these books, I believe and they do have historical merit.

The mysteries of jade :)

Oh great, I look forward to reading about the tributes! It was so fascinating when I thought the piece was ancient and that I was holding a 3000 + year-old object. The cursory research I did and the look & feel of the jade made want to know more about it.

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
It’s really lovely. You could cross post in Colored Stones. They have jade experts there as well, some might know about historical pieces. It would be really interesting to find out more about your piece!

Oh thanks, I'll do that!

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
I am far from expert on the subject, but I am fascinated by jade and have read a good deal on it (still light-years from understanding it well). It is my understanding that a great deal of "artifacts" were manufactured over time. Unfortunately, only an expert of jade can tell many of the real artifacts from copies.

For some fun reading on the subject of jade, I can heartily endorse

https://www.amazon.com/Jade-Life-En...ndrew+shaw+jade&qid=1615655655&s=books&sr=1-1

Also, this book:

The former is a wonderful journey into jade culture through western eyes. The latter is an amazing journal of endless information and artifacts. It is also HUGE AND HEAVY.

I am sorry your piece did not end up being authentic. That is definitely disappointing news.

I've ordered the Roger Keverne book! Much cheaper on Abebooks and Ebay. Very much looking forward to reading it, thanks again for the recommendation. The other one looks fascinating too and will buy it if I am not jaded out by the Keverne one...

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I've ordered the Roger Keverne book! Much cheaper on Abebooks and Ebay. Very much looking forward to reading it, thanks again for the recommendation. The other one looks fascinating too and will buy it if I am not jaded out by the Keverne one...

The book was recommended to me by jade carvers on a listserve. They said it was the best book out there with a full history of jade. Hope you enjoy it!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The book was recommended to me by jade carvers on a listserve. They said it was the best book out there with a full history of jade. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for this book recommendation. It looks really interesting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results