shape
carat
color
clarity

Chicago Appraisers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone recommend one? Did a search on PS and came up with nada.

Is there a resource to search that may list some in the area.

I have my moms engagement ring that she doesnt want anymore and she has no documents for it she has no clue what size is it, all she thinks she may remember is how much it cost mid-70s hehe which isnt much help! So I''d like to know more about it before I had it created into a pendant. I''ve had this sitting around for about a year and I''m I need to get a move on it
3.gif

And am I right to think it should cost around $125 for the appraisal?

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
My jeweler just sent my stone off to Chicago Gem lab, which I really know nothing about. However, I have heard that PGS which is also at 5 S Wacker is probably the best and most authoratative in the city. This is all from the inquirys I made AFTER my jeweler sent the stone out.

Hope it helps.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
That is helpful - thanks! I''ll give them a call in the morning.
I got bored, this is the ring, so hopefully it''ll look pretty with what i have planned. Its on the smaller side, but it always looked nice on my moms hands. Its so dirty - probably hanst been cleaned in like 10 years! well, more, maybe even 15.

ec28.jpg

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Neil, thanks for that name! He''s in Northbrook which will actually be more convenient for me!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - Drucker

NO - PGS.

Just my own personal recomendation.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
But you don''t say why, no. I''ve asked you before. Not fair.

Regards,

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Okay - I will try to be fair -as I have experiences with both places.

I have spent time considering what makes and appraiser and what makes a lab. Sometimes you see places say they are an "Independent Appraiser" some just "Independent Lab", and some "Independent lab/Appraiser".

On the appraiser side - you have individuals with good people skills, accurate estimates of replacement costs, nicely written reports which contain "plain English" descriptions of your stuff, help you understand the grades, etc...In short, mostly the human side of things.

On the Lab side you have individuals with deep technical knowledge which produce highly accurate raw data.

I think the best places combine a balance of both worlds, human and technical. Drucker and his outfit does this - as does Rich Sherwood.

PGS and Tom Tashley are 99.99% lab – in my opinion.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bertrand,

Isn't Rich Sherwood was still in Florida?

I agree that PGS is primarily a lab, not an appraiser. I've never heard of Chicago Gem Lab but this is not the same company as PGS.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 4:42:14 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Bertrand,

Isn't Rich Sherwood still in Florida?

Wild horses couldn't drag me out of Florida. The margauritas just don't taste as good anywhere else.

Bertrand's just a fan of my appraisals and tries to divert as much business my way as possible.

Bert, I forget what I'm paying you, but whatever it is, double it.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a nice looking diamond. What kind of pendant do you plan to put it in?

When you do get an appraisal, let us all know how it turns out. I''m not far from Chicago, and I wouldn''t mind having info on a good appraiser. I have several older pieces that have no paperwork that I''d love to have more info.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks SJZ, Because it is the most convenient for me, I plan on taking the stone to Richard Drucker, I''ll let you know how that goes! I''ll have to try and make an appointment around my work schedule so it might take me a little while to get in, but I"m excited to get a move on it. Its been sitting around for a year since my mom told me I could have it. All I know is that it was about $2000 when my dad bought it, late 70s. I dont know anything else...so I am actually really excited to learn about it. Before I found PS I probably wouldnt have given it a second thought or even thought of an appraisal. I''d like to set it in a halo and have it sit E/W. Hopefully it''ll all work out.

Thank you, everyone, for the help on finding an appraiser and the comments. They were very helpful to me!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results