shape
carat
color
clarity

Check THIS out

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andrea

Shiny_Rock
For those of you who like "different" settings, I found a really neat piece on ebay. item # 2612777482.
Let me know what you think.
Mara, this is something similar to what you were looking for during your "witch" hunt.
naughty.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That setting looks slightly familiar!
2.gif
It is a similar to mine, though mine does not have the cathedral shoulders leading up to the head (I love the shoulders though, considered them for my ring)....my head is a 4 prong, my diamonds are prong-set vs pave, and mine does not have the filigree on the edges, but other than that...verrrry similar. The bottom of my ring has the holes for the diamonds to get light as well.

It looks very beautiful, old fashioned. I'd love to see it with a center stone! I marked the auction, figure if it goes for some ridiculously low amount I maybe intrigued. The auction doesn't say how many carats are in the band does it? Maybe I zoned out while drooling.
2.gif

Nice find Andrea! I can never seem to find those things on eBay..guess my searches are too broad!

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mara,
I'm not a white gold person, but I too think it's a nice looking ring. Now if it were in gold, it would be serious.
Anyhow, it says that there are 28 brilliant cut diamonds with a total weight of 1.00 CTTW, and it's 5.40grams of 14kt white gold.
appl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Very nice, even if I'm not too fond of filigree!

Giangi

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Neat, I've never seen a "tiffany" like setting with diamonds all around the shank. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing!

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Out of curiosity, I went onto Ebay to look at the ring. WOW WOW WOW!!!!
It is just a fantastic ring.....classic looking.

Originally I planned on the plain Tiffany style 6-prong. Now this has set me thinking.....hmmmm....

One other question: I am not familiar with Ebay at all. Take this ring for example, how can we certify the authenticity of the diamonds on the ring? Will there be a cert? The price is ridiculously low!!!! Who would sell it at a reserve price of $1?!?!

wink2.gif
wink2.gif
wink2.gif

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Good question. I didn't go back to the item, but I assume that if they have any certs on it, it would be implied. If not, check to see if they have a 1 800 # to call. I believe they are a co. of some sort, not a personal seller (I don't know this though).
They also have some diffrent semi mount rings. Click on the "view sellers other items". Also a nice selection. But this one is very unique. I have never seen anything like it before.
If I check it out again, I'll see what I can come up with, and post again.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meow--alot of items on ebay go for ridicuously low pricing because sometimes the seller does not realize what they have, or the buyers will not pay over a certain amount. eBay implies a 'great discount', so this seller may just want to sell the piece, or sometimes when things start at $1, they are bid up to amazing amounts. The seller is taking a chance on something like that happening. Also if the seller has other multiple auctions on eBay, they may list one at a very low price to draw attention to their other items for sale, and the chance of them selling another item at an inflated price outweighs the loss they may take on the $1 piece. etc. There's many reasons!

From what I can tell, the only way to know if you are getting a great deal is to win the item, be sure that the seller has an open return policy (e.g. 15 day return no questions asked), check their feedback, then take the ring/semi-mount to be appraised to confirm what the auction said. Pay via escrow if possible or credit card to cover yourself in case of auction fraud or a hassle on returns.

This piece looks REALLY GOOD, esp because of the closeups of the ring, no blurry faraway pix here. This seller has taken pains to be sure that this setting is displayed correctly for the bidders to see. That always impresses me.

Anyway good luck!
2.gif
The setting is very cool!!

M

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Thanks Andrea! If you do find it out, let me know. I am very interested to know how those auctioneers prove the authenticity of their product. (noting that they offer a very short refund period, which will leave very little time to bring the diamonds to an appraiser!!)

I was just wondering if it could be zirconia. But again, zirconia will not have a colour and clarity grading....dont mind me....I probably dont make sense at all!!

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara,

Remember the stone I viewed in Antwerp and it has a wide table and blah blah and I was not satisifed....Gary introduced a guy from Antwerp to me and he recommended a stone.

Would like to have the honour of you providing your opinions.....it is on another post called 'Your opinions on this diamond' by Meow

Thanks!

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Like Mara stated, if the price goes well below your max bid that your willing to pay, go for it, and have it appraised. Some places will only take an hour or so to do, but shop around in the next day or so to see how busy the appraisers are. You have 10 days, which you're right, isn't much time considering the time it takes for the mail to get around. Who knows, you may live relatively close, eliminating some of the travel time.
As far as the authenticity of the stones, one can only assume.
Go back to that ebay item, and run your questions, and concerns by them. (Click on the "ask seller a question") Hope I'm not insulting your intelligence by telling you what to "click" on. Most sellers are quick to get back with you, hoping for an increase in the bid.
Keep us posted
appl.gif

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Thanks Andrea.

I have already sent them a few questions. Not at all. You are not insulting my intelligence.
1.gif

I say that this ring will go more way more than it is bidded for currently. Says on the site that it is $1999 retail. It is a lovely ring.
1.gif
Will try my best.

If I dont win it, I might get a jeweller to make me an exact one.

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Made a big boo-boo
sad.gif

Ring is a size 7. I am only a 5.5
Says that it cannot be resized. Guess it will be a case of going to my jewellers....

andrea

Shiny_Rock
The price is still relatively low, and really not much time left. I'd be willing to bet that it goes for less than $300.00. I'm not a gambler though. If you're bidding on it, I hope you win.
Fortunately you don't have to go up in size. That's usually where you run into problems. But lets just hope that it doesn't do anything to the looks of the ring having it sized.
Good luck, and keep me posted.
2.gif

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Sure will let you know.... I hope I will the bid too!

Am having second thoughts though. I am not a big ring fan and therefore do not know much about ring designs. I have only started looking at rings in the past 2 months. This design is beautiful (and oldish-fashioned). Just wondering if it will go out of date.....

The rational side of me kept telling me to go for the Tiffany classic 6-prong.
It seem to be the safest bet.

Also what do you think of the material of the ring - white gold? Everyone kept saying platinum is the best.

What do you reckon?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the auction goes for $300, that is a steal and low enough for you to get bored with the ring in a few years and have it replaced. Not to sound flippant, but at that pricing, you would pay the same for a platinum solitaire Tiffany style ring, so why not go a little more elaborate for a few years? I like the idea of switching out settings every once in a while to change the look of the ring, the stone is the heart of the ring anyway.

White gold vs plat is a hot topic. Depends on the metal you like...the look you like, how hard you are on your hands etc. Plat is a softer metal than you might think, and it takes scratches and blows pretty heavily, leaving nicks and marks...its common for people to complain about this with their plat rings. My coworker has a tiffany style and she showed me her ring yesterday and I didnt realize its all scratched and nicked, she has to get it buffed every few months or else it looks trashed. My ring is plat but it has hardly any metal showing (somewhat similar to this setting you are considering) so there is less to look scratched. Most of the metal is on the bottom against my hand anyway.

When you mention 'old fashioned' and 'out of style'..keep in mind that the ring style in that auction is old school, maybe from around the 1920s or 1930s. If it's a legit antique setting, it's got alot of character and has been around for a darn long time. Also, the styles back then are totally 'in' now. Many of the stars and celebrities have old filigree fashioned rings and yes it will go out of style again, but never forever. It was popular back then, its enjoying its time again, and will at some point down the line once more. But I personally LOVE the old look, regardless of the fact that its popular again. I liked it before it became cool to do so. If you love the setting now, you will always, regardless of how 'in-style' it is.

If you like the setting, I'd keep watch on it, check the refund policy and bid. If you get it for a few hundred it will be a STEAL. You can even set another stone in there such as a sapphire! You may have to bid against me!
1.gif
We'll see!!

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Now now, girls.
I personally like Wht. gold, and I think alot of people put the hype in plat. Everybody has their own preferences, but it's up to you to make that decision.
For that price, which I'm assuming thats you with the sunglasses, your getting a good looking piece. Even if someone does run it up on you a little. Keep on top of it down to the final minutes. Some people come in at the last second (literally), and outbid you. When it's down towards the end, I check the "bid history" for a more accurate look to see who's high bidder.
I'm not a collector of "old fashioned" things, but if this was in gold, you'd have some competition.
Gor for it.
wavey.gif

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I will be busy tonight (the close of the auction). Might not be able to follow it through. Maybe will get my siste to keep an eye. Otherwise will try to get my local jeweller to see if he can make one almost the same for me....

Mara, your ring is very similar to that one on auction. For a ring of that make, how much are we looking to pay on the market? (assuming the little diamonds are in fact the quality as claimed - G/H, SI1-SI2).

I am acutally not particular about whether it is platinum or white gold. Just that I have heard people talking about white gold not being lasting etc etc.....But as Mara said, I could always change the ring in a few years time!!!

Anyway, good luck Mara if you are bidding and let us all know if you win it!

Cheerios!
appl.gif

andrea

Shiny_Rock
set you max bid at what your really willing to pay. If it goes beyond your price, it wasn't meant to be.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lets see---My ring has .75twc on it in .03 rounds. My stones are G/H VS/SI1. If this ring indeed has 1.0ctw in 28 rounds, then each stone is .035c on an average. The retail price that they have listed is close to what we paid for our setting for .25c less in diamonds but ours is very heavy platinum and was custom made. So our pricing can't really be compared apples to apples with this setting, but that gives you some idea. A few more stones than mine, in white gold, sounds like the retail price could be somewhat accurate. Even if you discounted the setting or talked a retail jeweler down to say $1500...if you win this auction at $500 or similar that'd be a GREAT deal!
1.gif

I probably won't bid..its a nice thought but I don't need another setting that is that similar to mine though its very pretty.

I'm a late auction bidder, I don't believe in driving up the price until before the last minutes of the auction. I have won some items at pretty low prices before, doing that. However if you won't be around at the time of the end of the auction, or don't have that last minute bidding service..I forget the name..eSnipe?..then it's hard. Also you have to have a fast modem (DSL or Broadband or better yet..a T1 or T3) in order to really make it work. It's hard on a modem because the pages take so long to load that bidding in the last 30 seconds may take too long and you may miss it. etc. If you haven't already bid and your sister agrees to watch it, I would wait....if you have a fast connection, wait til the last 30 seconds of the auction are there, then have her bid your MAX bid (e.g. the most you'd feel comfortable paying to feel you got a great deal) and hope for the best. Putting your max bid out there now lets other people realize it's worth or decide they want to 'try' to bid and others will incrementally drive your bid up and half the time they aren't even serious bidders. Then if you pop in at the last minute, and the price is $350...put in your bid of $550 or whatever, and then chances are others who are doing the same thing you are will come in lower because alot of people don't put in their max bid, hoping to be able to bid AGAIN before the auction ends. Anyway that's how I do it. I've lost a few..but 90% of what I do that with that I *really* want and am willing to pay a little more for I get. Some people don't like last minute bidders (snipers) but I don't really care! I am out to win that auction if I bid on it, and win it for the least amount of money possible!
1.gif

Good luck!!!
1.gif
Let us know what happens.

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Mara, or Meow4444-
Did either one of you win this ring?
Andrea
confused.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wasn't me, Andrea! Hopefully Meow will let us know if it was her.

andrea

Shiny_Rock
If her log in name is similar to the one she uses here with the 4444, it wasn't her.
It would be very ironic though, if someone else uses the 4444 after there login name.
Let us know, Meow4444
sick.gif

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Hi girls,

Did not get it. Was out that night but my sister logged in on my behalf....yes. I am both Meow and Twinkle!! Ha!

A moment of hesitation on her part saw the ring gone. I gave her a max of $450 but when I was outbidded at $400, she hesitated and the auction closed!

When she called and told me how sorry she was, I could not stop laughing! She sounded like the sky was going to fall!!

It is a beautiful ring though. Disappointing.
Hopefully the seller will list another one soon.

Let me know if you girls see anything like that anywhere!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a perfect example of where using your Max bid up front would have gotten you the ring! The winner put their max bid in 3 days before auction end!
14.gif
Bah..oh well! eBay can be tricky.

I would email the seller and tell them that you are the next highest bidder and that if their transaction falls through with the original winner, you would be interested in purchasing. The reason I say this is because the person who won looks as though they are also a new eBayer (didn't view their history of ID's though, they may have just changed ID's not be completetly new), and their feedback is private. Between the sunglasses and the private feedback, it just strikes me a little odd. So anyway you never know...if the transaction does fall through, you're next in line if you let them know you want it. If not, then at least he knows you liked the setting and maybe it opens up the lines of communication if he has another one he would sell to you for $400 or similar.

1.gif

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Hi girls!!!

Surprise! Guess what?!? I got in touch with the seller. Think he must have taken pity on me....(I 'sounded' upset in my email.) He is willing to sell me one!!!!

I am ironing out the details with him. He said he will send an appraisal from UGL with the ring. Does anyone of you know what UGL is? (he mentioned some connection to GIA)...

I will keep you posted!

Mara, I saw your ring. Congrats and it is GORGEOUS!!!
appl.gif

gg

Rough_Rock
Jumping in here, meow4444 - congratulations, that is one beautiful mounting.
appl.gif
Do be careful though and don't go off-ebay or you won't have any recourse if something goes wrong. The seller's feeback is very good but you never know.

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Thanks GG. The seller is honest and straightforward. He suggested doing it through ebay and I am in full agreement of that.

Will let you know when I get the ring!

So anyone knows what UGL is? Seller mentioned the appraisal is by UGL.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Meow! We love happy endings.

Here is the link to UGL's website:

http://members.aol.com/uglinc/u.g.l.html

Sounds like they are an independent appraisal lab? Not related to GIA. I would get the setting checked out when you get it anyway...might as well be doubly safe, though for the price you are probably getting this for...it should be a great deal regardless (unless the stones are I3 which is doubtful since the seller has good feedback and sounds above board).

Enjoy your new setting and thanks for the compliment on mine. Post some pix of your ring when it's completed!

meow4444

Rough_Rock
Mara, will sure post a picture of the ring when it is mounted.
1.gif

The ring is white gold (and so are the 6 prongs).
I am just wondering if white gold prongs are reliable for holding the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results