shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheapie McCheap ebay spinel

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Got this little purple spinel on ebay, I love the color and thought the cut was very interesting. I'm thinking about making some stacking rings with this stone and a couple of others. The first combo is the purple spinel, a blue montana sapphire, and a very pale green montana sapphire. The second combo is the purple spinel, blue montana sapphire, and a mint garnet. I haven't done a project like this, so I don't know if either of these combos work or not! Suggestions?

087.JPG

038_crop.jpg

045_crop.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Love the color of the Montana blue. One of my fave stones, still hoping to find an unheated big-enough one that fits my not-so-big budget! It looks great with the spinel, pretty combination. It's all personal taste, but I'd save the green ones for something else & just use the blue & purple. Somehow the greens seem a bit jarring to me w/the others. What about a 2nd piece using the green Montana & the mint garnet?

--- Laurei

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your input, Laurei! I love the color of the Montana blue, too, it really is very sparkly. I have to admit, I have a major thing for a green/purple combo, but perhaps this particular purple is too dark. Here's another picture of the two montana sapphires and the spinel that I took outside- the color representation is a little better. I don't know how you all take photos outside, I was a nervous wreck!

125_crop.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The yellow looks a little washed out to me compared to the other colors, and I think you need a yellow with more saturation. What about a chysoberyl (bright yellow with a hint of green)? Or a tsavorite (bright green)?

If you want to change out the purple, I would go for a purple with a brighter tone (less dark). The blue Montana sapphire looks very striking, and it would be really nice to match that tone.

Here's a good page about tone and saturation. The line of colors described as "Saturation Const. - same intensity, different hues" looks like something you might like: http://www.colorcube.com/articles/theory/glossary.htm

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here is a good example of stones of equal saturation, but good contrast, that look very harmonious together. It is a tourmaline suite from www.acstones.com that was recently sold, so I have pasted the picture below instead of a link because I think the image will disappear soon. I hope Barry, the owner of the site, does not mind:

tourmsuite_ACS_T-5676B.jpg

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Pregcurious, thanks for your input. I agree that the yellow/light green really doesn't look all that great with the purple and blue. I think a tsav would look really nice with that combo, maybe a trillion or pear, but that may be out of my budget. At least for now. Yes, I love the color combo on the web site you pointed me to, that's right up my alley!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
More affordable gemstones that can be an intense green are green tourmalines (without chrome), or chrome tourmalines. The latter is more expensive.

I don't know how large your stones are, but here is a nicely priced, precision cut chrome tourmaline. I know you're looking for a different shape than what you already have, but I think a stone of this color might work. If this stone is in between the sizes of the stones you already have, it might work because it still gives variety in size (in addition to color, but not shape):
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1910

greenT-5383B.jpg

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Yep, I like that color a lot, and I think it would look great with the blue and purple. The montana sapphire is a little guy, .47 ct and 4.8mm. The spinel is 1.35 ct and 6.58mm. I think my preference might be for a different shape and perhaps just a little smaller than the one you linked to (which is very nice!), but definitely in that color family. Thanks again for your suggestions, pregcurious!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results