shape
carat
color
clarity

cheap-o e-ring... maybe search almost over?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
If someone can find me a nice 7.75mm sapphire or spinel in just about any color, I think we're done. This is now her favorite setting. Set with cz melee, it costs about $480... I convinced her to let me got up to around $200 or a bit more for the stone...
6446.jpg

ERghh... makes me wish I had bought this http://www.chicjewelry.com/Images/3up/6446.jpg one
http://www.gemsthailand.com/ebay/list/SB140159-B.jpg

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah..
we''d also me interested in a color-change anything (garnet, sapphire, whatever...) or this size.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooooo....Alexandrite Unfortunately...not cheap. Hmm.....

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Round Blue Spinel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=282&item=4952140108&rd=1

Round Purple Spinel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=282&item=4951566310&rd=1

Round Red Spinel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=282&item=4951658666&rd=1

Round Champagne Pinkish Spinel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=282&item=4951659078&rd=1

Ever consider round cut golden yellow sapphire? Should be within your budget if you get heated stones :)

If you want a 7.75mm, Its a bit diffult though.. you are looking at stone of 2 ct+

Mayacamas

Rough_Rock
I absolutely love the pink spinel!

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thanks!

Yeah, alexandrite IS really expensive... but, to my eyes, color-change garnet looks a bit better, and is cheaper...

I''m still looking around... there''s also some stuff at cresla.com that looks nice.

pescador

Rough_Rock
I''ve dealt with Simon at ImperialGems four times and everything has worked out in each instance. In fact I received a nice tourmaline and a very beautiful amethyst just yesterday. Hope this helps.

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
Thank you! That''s a great setting... too bad I didn''t check it in time... :(

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I believe that another PS member -- Laurenthepartier--is currently making a RHR with that EXACT setting!

What''s the progress on the ring? I have been following your quest with interest
1.gif

spinel

Shiny_Rock
beginwithT, I wrote you a pm.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there silk or some disolved inclusions in deep colored Australian blues ? I am not that familiar with particular sources, but the few nicer stones I ever handled seemed to have some texture making them hazy, aside from what one would expect from really dark tone.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Gday

No - excessive silk or inclusions are not generally a problem in Reddestone sapphire (although of course it can occur). The Queensland or even Kings Plain stone does suffer from some problems as you describe. Reddestone sapphire has for a long time been rebranded by the Thais sometimes as Ceylon sapphire hence losing its Aussie identity. The photo I supplied has been taken by us - we are only amateur photographers but I think it gives some idea of the kind of colour and style of our sapphire.

thanks for your interest,

Andrew Lane

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your interest and suggestions. Right now I am following a pretty strong lead with gem-cutter/jewelry some of you might now...

Anyway, he suggested adwarcasting.com and there are a few settings that I''m interested in. He thinks we can work something out for round $600.

Their site is kinda'' hard to navigate, but right now I am most interested in the pear side-stone setting in the third row here. I think I want to go with white sapphires for the sides and then a well-cut darker blue pear for the middle. The pear won''t be as large as the rounds I liked before, but I think that the side stones will help. I''m abandoning pave in favorite of a more durable ring. I know that pave can be durable... but not cheap pave.

What do you guys think?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
beginswithT - good luck in your search, but have you thought about going to a local jeweler that you trust to see what they might have on hand. I too was looking for something fairly cheap as a RHR, and I''ve spent all of $390 on this ring. I love your setting! Good luck with your current lead, though!

antiquejewels - thank you so much for posting that ebay auction. My b/f ended up winning it and I ended up with a fabulous ring at the end of the day. I appreciate you posting that setting here. This is the end result. The sapphire is only a .78, which is all that fit in that mounting.

DSCN2139.jpg

beginswithT - I admire your search efforts, and just wanted to prove that with the help of PS, you can come up with something fabulous for not a lot of $. Best wishes!

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
Your ring is very beautiful. We don''t really have a local jeweler, and a lot of leads that we''ve been given haven''t turned up a whole lot. part of the problem, also, is that my girlfriend wants something that''s at least the equivalent to a 6.5mm round because of her larger fingers size.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
beginwithT, I sent you a pm.

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Spinel.

When my girlfriend told me that I should under no circumstances spend more than $500, I though she was insane, and I was pretty irritated. Now, even though I''ve gotten her to go up to $600 (and maybe even $750, if I can show her that that lighter blue is
nicer), I realize that I''ve had a lot of fun and learned way more about all of this than I ever would have if I went to Bailey Banks and Biddle and plunkedown too much money for a dinky diamond without consulting her first. I want to thank everyone-- particularly valeria and Michael E., who have helped me. I feel like we''re getting very, very close and I can''t wait to show all of you the final result and tell the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results