shape
carat
color
clarity

Channel Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

desunny

Rough_Rock
I am having a man's channel set ring made and have a question about the jeweler's advice. The ring will be 18K gold and I wanted to have a platinum inlay put into the channel. My reasons for this were to have the white metal next to the diamonds and I also thought that the platinum would strengthen the channel.

The jeweler adviced against this. He suggested rhodium plating. His reasons are the added cost of an inlay would double the price of the setting AND he said that platinum isn't really stronger. He said that the platinum would scratch easily because even though it is a heavier metal, it is soft. He said that because the inlay would be thin, there would be no advantage obtained from the higher tensile strength of the platinum.

Should I go with the rhodium plating? If so, what is the minimum thickness in microns that I should be willing to accept? I don't want the plating to wear off in 6 months. I want it to last for years if not the life of the ring.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results