shape
carat
color
clarity

Channel set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tlee

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash is going to make a custom channel set diamond wedding band for us. However, I''m having a hard time finding a good picture for them to work with. On most channel bands, there is a lot of empty space between the diamonds. That space appears dark and I would prefer it to be filled in with metal. Has anyone seen a setting that matches this description? The closest I could find was this pic. But it''s a poor resolution picture.

T

R042B!.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about the pics ate precissionset.com ?

tlee

Rough_Rock
Wow, they have a lot of great pics. But I didn't find what I was looking for. I'll have to bookmark this site anyways.

T

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered a channel set using princess cuts? I have a princess cut channel set eternity band and there is no space between the diamonds.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Something like this, Tlee?
0082492209083_215X215.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/13/2004 3:02:48 AM tlee wrote:

On most channel bands, there is a lot of empty space between the diamonds. That space appears dark and I would prefer it to be filled in with metal. Has anyone seen a setting that matches this description?
----------------

The picture is too fuzzy to show the space between diamonds, but I am afraid it is there... All channel settings with round stones will have it. If not - they are not channel settings. The effect you are looking for is, to my knowledge, achieved by different setting techniques, where the diamonds either get flush with the metal (gypsy setting) or there is metal added among the diamonds (bead setting or pave). Prong set bands may achieve the same look as bead set ones... Another option leaving no space between metal and stone would be a bezel setting (either with full bezels of half bezels) as Precissionset displays.

If channel is a must, than any square cut stones (princess, step cut squares) would eliminate any spaces. Otherwise, a gypsy set band with the diamonds set close together will probably do the trick as intended. Of course, getting a custom design made may unearth some setter's innovative technique aside the usual ones noted above, if you would consider that route.

tlee

Rough_Rock
Thanks Valerie. I'm going to have to spend some more time on the phone with the setter to figure this one out. We would go with princess diamonds but they look a bit stiff. However, I was just surfing the Tiffany's website and really liked the lucida wedding band. Maybe we'll try using radiant diamonds instead.

T

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
u purchased a regent right?
5.gif

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Found another but it's just like the one you posted Tlee.

32585251-resized200.jpg

tlee

Rough_Rock
Yeah, we have a regent e-ring. So, I don't know how it's going to look having princess/radiant diamonds on the wedding band. It's probably not going to match. I think we need to shop around some more to see what looks right on her fingers.

I just checked out the Tiffany's website the other day. They have a lucida wedding band. It's a channel band, set with small lucida diamonds. It would be nice to do that with small regents but I bet that'll blow the bank. She doesn't want to spend more than $2K on it.

T

tlee

Rough_Rock
Thanks tonysgeko. Yeah, it's hard trying to find a sharp picture.

T

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Small Radiants! Oh wow! you don't see them every day... I had no idea you were trying to fit a Regent into the picture, but this is some challenge. ;_

I would think that rounds are still the closest shape to a regent, and the setting could make them look close to the shape of the regent, I would think. In my view, small regents and rounds set in four-corner settings look very much alike. Maybe the setter could arrange some common-prong setting for the rounds on the band, so it looks like each stone is set between four corners?

Below is a quick pic of what I mean:
The larger picture is a Regent. The picture of the round is taken from Garry's site and the red contour is what the two prongs could look like one near the other... filling the gap between the rounds and making them look regent-ish, in my view.

Reset.JPG

tlee

Rough_Rock
Interesting. Would the prongs stick up or would it be flush like a channel set or a bezel set ring?

We went back to Robbins Bros today to look at the rings again. There wasn't much on stock post V-day. But that didn't stop the salesperson from trying to make a hard sell. Since they didn't have anything in stock I gave have them the specs for what we want and our budget. I'm curious to see what they are going to dig up for us.

T

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This type of settig is not my *fresh* invesntion - it used to be done: here's some example of it and a variation... This piece does show the type of prongs but it is not the best I could imagine, given the large space between the diamonds. Also, the edges of the setting look unusual. From my point of view, this could just be one design idea to work around... given that small Rgeents are not there yet, and the radiant cuts do not have the greatest reputation for consistent sparkle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results