shape
carat
color
clarity

Channel or pave eternity band as spacer ring???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
I''m leaning towards getting an e-ring and wedding band set that have shared prong settings but I''m concerned about what I''ve read here on PS about possible damage when the diamonds rub against one another or the diamonds on the w-band rub against the prongs of the center stone on the e-ring.

A lot of you have mentioned spacer bands. Do these always have to be plain or could one use a channel set or pave set eternity band as a spacer?

Would that look funny?

Has anyone done this and if so can you post pics of your set w/ the channel or pave eternity band spacer? Thanks.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Hi, and welcome to PS!
I would say get your ering and wedding ring together, as a matched set, since they would likely be designed with all the concerns you have in mind. I would ask your vendor/sales people/custom ring maker point blank if it will be a problem, before I purchased.
1.gif
Hopefully, you won''t have a problem.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 5:59:46 PM
Author: justjulia
Hi, and welcome to PS!

I would say get your ering and wedding ring together, as a matched set, since they would likely be designed with all the concerns you have in mind. I would ask your vendor/sales people/custom ring maker point blank if it will be a problem, before I purchased.
1.gif

i agree. I honestly don''t think i''d pair a pave spacer with a shared prong wedding set but you could always go and try some on to see how they look. keep in mind, if the shared prong setting your getting has diamond overhang, the diamonds will scratch the metal on the pave spacer, or whatever spacer you choose.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 4:18:47 PM
Author:allaboutcushions
I''m leaning towards getting an e-ring and wedding band set that have shared prong settings but I''m concerned about what I''ve read here on PS about possible damage when the diamonds rub against one another or the diamonds on the w-band rub against the prongs of the center stone on the e-ring.

A lot of you have mentioned spacer bands. Do these always have to be plain or could one use a channel set or pave set eternity band as a spacer?

Would that look funny?

Has anyone done this and if so can you post pics of your set w/ the channel or pave eternity band spacer? Thanks.
I wouldn''t do pave - period. That''s my thought on that....
... and as for channel set my question is why? Its a spacer? It should be pretty thin and unobtrusive, channel set bands are wider than other methods of mounting stones and it almost becomes a redundancy unless you want a stacked ring look.

you can have "safe" shared prong bands, you just need to have the metal seat exceed the diamter of the diamond itself and if the ring is done like that you won''t even need a spacer. But if you get a spacer, a spacer is just a very thin piece of metal - otherwise you have stacked bands and if that''s the look you want, sobeit!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 6:09:12 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 4/10/2007 5:59:46 PM
Author: justjulia
Hi, and welcome to PS!

1.gif

i agree. I honestly don''t think i''d pair a pave spacer with a shared prong wedding set but you could always go and try some on to see how they look. keep in mind, if the shared prong setting your getting has diamond overhang, the diamonds will scratch the metal on the pave spacer, or whatever spacer you choose.
exactly - and the reason I said no to pave is exactly this reason... you''ve eliminated the rubbing between e-ring and band, but now you''ve just introduced a whole new set of diamonds to interact with your band.

allaboutcushions

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your responses/suggestions.

Though we do plan on getting the ering & wband made by the same vendor and they''ve assured us there shouldn''t be problems -- I know there are others that have posted having the same promise made and still experienced this problem. I''m assuming this is just an unavoidable possibility.

I have my heart set on the shared prong style because I luv--luv--luv the look but I don''t want to "risk" the chipped diamonds and I actually do like the "stacked look" that some of you suggested. But I like the stacked look with diamonds -- not plain metal. I just didn''t know if anyone else had tried using the channel or pave style eternity bands as spacers, and if they had--could be so kind as to post pics.

As for the thickness of the eternity bands, I''ve found an online vendor that sells "micro" thin eternity bands with channel set diamonds that are only 1.2 mm wide http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=274&cat_id=11 (or 1.8 mm). Considering the shared prong setting for both the ering & wband will be about 2.5mm wide, I think the 1.2 or 1.8 might just be unobtrusive enough to sit between but still have a little sparkle and not as much metal as a plain band.

From what you''ve all said though it sounds like the pave band will still lead to problems with rubbing. I thought perhaps if the diamonds sat low enough in the setting that it wouldn''t be an issue.

I guess can try the look on at a B&M once I have the set. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results