carat
color
clarity

Changing your last name

slg47

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1316938737|3024906 said:
I just changed mine!

mayerling did you drop the middle or drop the maiden, or keep both?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1316970426|3025136 said:
mayerling|1316938737|3024906 said:
I just changed mine!

mayerling did you drop the middle or drop the maiden, or keep both?

Greeks don't have middle names so that wasn't an issue, and I also completely dropped my maiden name.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I kept my name. No angst, no drama. Not even a question from a single relative.

Husband doesn't mind one bit.

Kids will take his name and will be given a choice of which of our last names to take when they are old enough.

Husband and I both agree that having different last names doesn't make you any less of a family, so why make it such a big issue.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
So far, I've kept my name. I think everyone just assumed that I would change it, so we've gotten a lot of things addressed to Mr. & Mrs. His Name. I was really annoyed when MIL addressed something to us (example) Mr. & Mrs. John Doe. Umm, no. That's a pet peeve of mine. I even had the conversation with her before (and she's not a conservative person by any means) so I'm kind of sure that she did it to bug me.

DH originally wanted me to change it (as I think most guys probably do) but definitely never pushed the issue. And he's okay with me deciding if or when I want to change it, or not. I think he even had a little talk with MIL, because we got a package from her yesterday address to His name/ My name.

I just moved all of my stuff over to a new state, so I haven't wanted to deal with changing my name right now. I MIGHT do it soon-ish because I need to get a passport (can anyone verify that you have to pay money to have your name changed on your passport?) But we'll see. Once our friends and family were told that I wasn't immediately changing my name, no one thought anything more of it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1317152811|3027115 said:
So far, I've kept my name. I think everyone just assumed that I would change it, so we've gotten a lot of things addressed to Mr. & Mrs. His Name. I was really annoyed when MIL addressed something to us (example) Mr. & Mrs. John Doe. Umm, no. That's a pet peeve of mine. I even had the conversation with her before (and she's not a conservative person by any means) so I'm kind of sure that she did it to bug me.

DH originally wanted me to change it (as I think most guys probably do) but definitely never pushed the issue. And he's okay with me deciding if or when I want to change it, or not. I think he even had a little talk with MIL, because we got a package from her yesterday address to His name/ My name.

I just moved all of my stuff over to a new state, so I haven't wanted to deal with changing my name right now. I MIGHT do it soon-ish because I need to get a passport (can anyone verify that you have to pay money to have your name changed on your passport?) But we'll see. Once our friends and family were told that I wasn't immediately changing my name, no one thought anything more of it.

there is no fee if your passport was issued within the year and you can document your name change legally. otherwise renewal fees would apply
http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

amc80

Ideal_Rock
merilenda|1317152811|3027115 said:
I MIGHT do it soon-ish because I need to get a passport (can anyone verify that you have to pay money to have your name changed on your passport?) But we'll see. Once our friends and family were told that I wasn't immediately changing my name, no one thought anything more of it.

Yep, biggest scam ever. Like the pp said, if you get married within a year of getting a passport there's no charge. But if you get married one year and one day after you get a passport you have to pay for an entire new one. Dumb.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results