shape
carat
color
clarity

changing setting of princess eternity ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone...well too much time on ur hand makes u come up with ideas and its time for another project (if my hubby lets me go thru with it!).. i decided that i would like to change the setting of my half-eternity princess ring...

as it is today, i feel that a lot of the ''sparkle'' is masked as it is in a channel setting and i would like to change that to a four prong setting....

i''ve looked thru the eternity ring thread (which has a lot of beautiful but round diamond rings) and thru the internet, but the only pictures i could find is of the ''shared'' prong setting....

the first picture i''m posting is how my current ring looks like (except mine is half an eternity and my diamonds fill it out more so that u dont see so much of the band (does that make sense?)

the second picture is of a ''shared'' prong setting...

does anyone have a picture of a four prong setting (like Mara''s rings) but for princess diamonds??

thanks a lot!

Princessrings.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi Msb,

Are you sure you want to take apart your channel set ring? It would seem like a shame if the cost of taking apart and resetting your old ring is MORE than just getting a new ring altogether.

If you are looking for maximum sparkle in a half eternity style ring, I would go with round melees. They tend to give off more sparkle than other cuts. A while back, my mom bought a ballerina style ring with lots of baguette diamonds around a beautiful indicolite stone. The diamonds just didn''t give off as much bling, which I assume was because of the baguette cut diamonds.

I''m no expert...just my two cents.

BTW I love your three stone ring! It''s a beauty
36.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
thanks jelly for the input..i realize that round diamonds would give u more sparkle, but the only thing is that i dont want to buy a brand new ring and diamonds (as i dont think i can afford a new ring just yet) and would like to reuse these diamonds again...

i dont wear my ring often (the half eternity) which is a shame and thought maybe with a different setting i would wear it more often??

i am going to my local jewler sometime within the next few days to explain to him wat id like to get done, it really shouldn''t cost me much (as hand made rings for some odd reason doesnt cost too much at all over here!) but id like to take a picture with me to better explain things...

(thanks about the ring
1.gif
im really happy with the way it finally turned out...)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, here's the same tired shot of my band, each stone is .35 ..Geez, I notice how sloppy my prongs are but whatever LOL

...is that what you mean? Although now I see you are saying "4 prong"...I'm not sure they can even do that for a princess...you can have the shared or four for the rounds, but b/c the princess stones sit flush next to eachother I don't think I've ever seen that...

Researcher has a great shot of her amazing band too...

Doesn't hurt for you to get some prices and see what your options are!

bandshot.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ha! I stand corrected! Is this what you mean?

I dunno if I''m a huge fan of the spaces bw the stones....but it sure is pretty!

four prong.jpg

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/8/2005 3:30:56 PM
Author: moremoremore
Ha! I stand corrected! Is this what you mean?

I dunno if I''m a huge fan of the spaces bw the stones....but it sure is pretty!
mmm: yeah that is exactly wat im talking about...but ur rite..not to sure about the spaces too..but then again, the finishing on this pic isn''t that great so that mite be a reason...i guess ill continue to look and will try to pass by and get a quick quote on how much this will cost...im sort of felling sad now coz this was my actualy ''engagement'' ring before i got my three stone (we just got a plain band that doubled as an ering and a wring at the same time)....

thanks a lot though!!!
9.gif

more pics are welcome of course =)))

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Then maybe just keep it and find a nice inexpensive new one?

As for the spaces, I think there have to be spaces with the four prong... the prongs must protect the corners of the princess...so if you don''t have spaces, the four prongs aren''t covering the corners...it becomes a shared prong...know what i mean?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My rings have spaces between each stone, they are VERY TINY but you can see them with the loupe. It''s alot of metal but it''s very safe. It''s a preference thing visually though I think. I would love to not have those spaces but I don''t think there''s a way to do 4 prong without it really, without some sort of tiny space. I like the safety aspect of it!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same here, I can see them without a loupe but not without staring at them. I prefer the space though.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
What I'm trying to say is that with rounds, if you have the stones right next to eachother or even with a little space, there is a little room for the four prongs ... with the princess, the entire side of the stone is flush with another...so the only way to do the four prong is to move the stones over...if this is coming out the right way! LOL.... So the space is much more pronounced...or maybe it's the opposite. What the hell do I know

Post pix when you're done with the project please!!!
36.gif

On a side note, anyone here on the east coast? This weather sux. And my husband dissed me for a hockey game!
41.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im a hockey widow too.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...I''ve never really been a saturday night widow...but tomorrow he is a woodbury commons gucci outlet man servant LOL!!! unless it is still raining.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dammit! How come we can''t have good outlets here!?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Woodbury Commons!!
30.gif
30.gif
I need to go there again soon hehe.

Have fun MMM!!

And yes, the weather stinks here in CT, it''s been pouring all day long
39.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
well! just got back from my jewler and he said he can make my new setting (18k white gold) and cast my old stones in it for approx 160 dollars...i think thats a pretty good deal don''t u think??

he said he would like to see more pics, so i will use the pics u sent MMM but will continue to look for more ''side shots'' so that he can get a clear idea of wat im looking for!

will keep u posted on the progress..thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results