shape
carat
color
clarity

Changing prongs

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
Last year I upgraded my oval diamond and brought my ring to Jared to have them replace the peg head. They had to fix the prongs a few times because they were crooked and had other issues. The prongs after were too thick so I took my ring to a local jeweler to have them fix it. They did a nice job on the prongs, but I still feel after that the diamond is not right in the prongs, like it's crooked still. I'm thinking of taking my ring back to the local jeweler and having them replace the peg head with tulip style prongs. I always thought those were pretty. Attached is my ring. Thoughts on switching to this style head? Screenshot_20240316-113917~2.png PXL_20240307_201725938.jpg

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'm wonky, and it looks like the prongs on the left are more angled. :confused: I do see what you mean though. I'm worried about tulip prongs with your current setting and the high curves of the mount not fitting the style. I love a tulip basket with claw prongs and it would be a nice, delicate accent to hold your stone straight.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the thought of a tulip head makes your heart sing - go for it.

Is the thinking there that with our local jeweler starting ‘fresh’ with a new peg head (instead of altering someone else’s work) will get you where you want to be with how you precisely envision your center stone being set?

My advice aside from going for what makes you happy-

Does your local jeweler ‘see’ the same things you do that the center stone is crooked?
If they don’t - I think that should give you caution and pause.

Will a prefabricated tulip head for your size oval fit in your setting? Will it need to be tweaked any and if so what’s the concessions?
Will it need to be custom fabricated?
Will your jeweler mock up a sketch or photoshop so you can see and approve of the all over look beforehand?

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@Rfisher yes I am thinking starting fresh with the local jeweler with a new head it would turn out much better.

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@PinkAndBlueBling and @Rfisher I have an update. I stopped at my local jeweler's yesterday and spoke with the jeweler and owner regarding replacing the peg head and my concerns with the current one. They both saw the issues and agreed replacing the head would solve the issues. We looked through a book that had different peg heads for ovals, they had tulip and basket and others as well. We decided that the tulip head would be too much for my setting that already has a lot going on and the basket head would sit my oval up a lot higher. We choose a 4 prong head that is a little different from my current, more curved and not so sharp angles. I'm happy that they took the time to talk with me about the issues and find a new head that would be right. Also, the cost is half of what I paid for the head I have which I was thrilled about! They ordered it and the head should be in next week and then it will be a 2 week turn around. I'm so excited to have it all fixed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results