shape
carat
color
clarity

Changing center stone from precious to semi precious?????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

b2b.amy

Rough_Rock

I'm looking to change my e-ring center stone.

African Ruby
2.99cts
7.6mmx7.6mm
SI
Good Luster

to:

Pink Zircon
3.68cts
7.57mmx7.47mm
VVS1
Excellent Luster

Opinions?

ETA: I'm having trouble figuring out how to attach photos. Any help with that would be great!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since zircon only has a hardness of 7.5, I wouldn''t put one in a ring I planned to wear daily. A ruby is far harder. I would change to a pink sapphire if you want a pink stone since it has a hardness of 9, the same as the ruby. I might consider spinel (8), but I think sapphire is best.

b2b.amy

Rough_Rock
the ruby

ruby879654.jpg

b2b.amy

Rough_Rock
the zircon

zircon6548.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be totaly honest, that zircon has a LOT of brown in it. Spinels are harder and come in such pretty colors. I''d consider a spinel, but you might have to buy a larger one and have it recut to fit your setting.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree on getting a sapphire or spinel - you can find them in many lovely shades of pink and they will hold up a lot better for daily wear. Zircon''s are gorgeous but they are soft and their facets wear down with time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
why?

movie zombie

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think everyone is probably right about the wear and tear, but brown-ish or not, I L
30.gif
VE the color of that stone in the pic you posted! I can see why you are drawn to it - very unique! would you be comfortable having to replace it in some time?

tightropewalker

Rough_Rock
The pink stone delima. Boy I''m there with ya. I just ordered 2 pink zircons and a pink tourmaline. I love zircons, but will do pendants or earings with them, or just add them to my unmounted gem collection. I''m hunting for the perfect shade of pink sapphire for a ring myself.

By the way I love the color of the one in the photo. It is gorgous.

b2b.amy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your replies!

Diamondseeker2006 - thank you for your advice! I working at a desk at day and take my rings off at all other times (washing hands, moving things, making dinner etc) so hopefully this will be okay for a stone of with 7.5 mohs. And it actually the brown/pink, "rose pink" colour of the stone that drew me to it!

MaryC - As I mentioned above, I''m very cautious with my ring as it is so hopefully I won''t hurt anything
1.gif

Movie Zombie - I am considering doing this as when we originally picked the stone for what we could afford, the Ruby was my favourite of my options. When I came across the current stone, although it is a "downgrade" in terms of the precious to semi precious stone ladder, I love colour and that the clarity means that I can see the asscher cut so beautifully
30.gif

Violet3 - I agree, the colour DREW me into it! As I said above, I''m very careful with my rings, but if it came to replacing it later on, that would be something I''d do if it meant I could enjoy the stone everyday.

Tightropewalker - I hope you find your perfect pink! I''ve found mine!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i vote for a new setting for the 2nd stone then! if its simply set as a solitare you could alternate wearing them. or wear the 2nd one as a right hand ring.

movie zombie

ps i can see why you like the 2nd stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2008 10:45:54 AM
Author: movie zombie
i vote for a new setting for the 2nd stone then! if its simply set as a solitare you could alternate wearing them. or wear the 2nd one as a right hand ring.

movie zombie

ps i can see why you like the 2nd stone.
Ditto! I agree that it is really pretty! I''d just probably have it as a RHR, too.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2008 3:41:56 AM
Author: b2b.amy
Thank you all for your replies!

Diamondseeker2006 - thank you for your advice! I working at a desk at day and take my rings off at all other times (washing hands, moving things, making dinner etc) so hopefully this will be okay for a stone of with 7.5 mohs. And it actually the brown/pink, ''rose pink'' colour of the stone that drew me to it!

MaryC - As I mentioned above, I''m very cautious with my ring as it is so hopefully I won''t hurt anything
1.gif

Movie Zombie - I am considering doing this as when we originally picked the stone for what we could afford, the Ruby was my favourite of my options. When I came across the current stone, although it is a ''downgrade'' in terms of the precious to semi precious stone ladder, I love colour and that the clarity means that I can see the asscher cut so beautifully
30.gif

Violet3 - I agree, the colour DREW me into it! As I said above, I''m very careful with my rings, but if it came to replacing it later on, that would be something I''d do if it meant I could enjoy the stone everyday.

Tightropewalker - I hope you find your perfect pink! I''ve found mine!

The term semi-precious is now obsolete and the "Code of Ethics and Principles of Fair Business Practices" of the American Gem Trade Association (a colored stone trade organization) instructs members to "avoid the use of the term "semiprecious" in describing gemstones", and they have purged that term from all their publications.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Might as well. Semi-precious stones are very expensive these days.

BTW, I like the ruby. It''s my second favorite stone after diamond.
30.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, since Pandora brought it up, i''m going to push it a bit: imo, all stones are . the attempt by marketing types to devalue stones, especially, color stones, has always irritated me.

movie zombie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I like them called semi-precious so that the prices stay low enough for me to buy them.
11.gif
Although the prices of these semi-precious gemstones have been going up the past few years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results