shape
carat
color
clarity

Changed Mind

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

timbo

Rough_Rock
Sorry guys but I had posted this stone before BUT I am changing my mind!! I am going with the smaller one. The cost is 6500 for 1.3 vs 7500 for 1.55. I am giving up size for Quality. Please let me know your thoughts? Appreciate it!

EMERALD
Carat weight: 1.55/1.30
Cut: Good/Very Good
Color: H/D
Clarity: VS1/VS2
Depth %: 61.4%/65%
Table %: 73%/67%
Symmetry: Good/Very Good
Polish: Good/Very Good
Girdle: Medium/Thin
Culet: None/None
Fluorescence: None/Faint
Length/width ratio: 1.52/1.33

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
quality always > size. Good for you. Since you were looking at an H colored stone before, why don't you try a F or G color VS2 and try to get that size back up? Just a thought.

timbo

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lugus -
Was thinking same thing..but I really liked this stone and thought the price was very good also and I liked the table/depth %. This can drive you crazy trying to decide!!!

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
hehe, went crazy 178 posts ago
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/12/2003 12:27:42 PM timbo wrote:

Sorry guys but I had posted this stone before BUT I am changing my mind!! I am going with the smaller one. The cost is 6500 for 1.3 vs 7500 for 1.55. I am giving up size for Quality. Please let me know your thoughts? Appreciate it!

----------------

Generally emerald cuts look smaller than RB's. Also, w/ EC's the color & clarity need to be better.

Regarding quality, what does *she* want? Many women just want a nice sizable stone & care little about the specs. One does not wear the specs; one wears the diamond.

Good Luck.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second what fire&ice says. I originally purchased a 1.51 carat F VVS2 branded H&A's diamond and realized when I got it, that I would prefer a larger size. Now I am in the process of finding a 2 carat H&A and have found a 2.08 HVS2 that I may purchase.
I am trading size for color and clarity, but not cut(or quality), and the H will show up white, especially a H&A. So unless I walk around telling people I own an H colored stone, no one else will know.
I say this because, unless your girlfriend has done a lot of research about diamonds, all she will see is that you bought her the smaller stone.
Shrinkage happens really fast and EC usually look smaller, in my opinion. If you can afford to purchase a larger diamond, go for it. Otherwise you may be trading up this diamond in a few years or even sooner than you imagined.
Just my two cents!!! Take it anyway you like.
9.gif

timbo

Rough_Rock
thanks for your comments/suggestions....I really went crazy and had the "bigger" one...This guy who is a friend of a friend showed me both stones (and even more)..I picked these 2 out cause of the size for the bigger one and the color on the smaller one. The smaller one (1.3) is a D color versus a H for the 1.55. I could EASILY tell the difference when looking at them side by side that the smaller one was totally whiter looking....you really could see it. But, also, the VERY good Polish and Sym is a factor according to my guy. The smaller one also was a better cut as its table and depth were good. I could have afforded the bigger one!! Hope I amde the right call as my fiance to be wants me to make the decision. Does anyone like my chiose of giving up .25 for a nicer looking stone?

thanks!! Help someone please like my chioce!!!!
1.gif

hope

Rough_Rock
I think you made a very good decision. You saw both stones, side by side, and made your choice based on the characteristics you preferred. 1.3 carats is a nice size stone, and I'd think that with a 65 depth, you're likely to have a stone with perimeter measurements that reflect its weight. With a 1.3 l/w, you're into the matchbox look, which also gives a different feeling about comparable size.

My own emerald cut, which I picked for myself after a lengthy search, is a D VS2 with very similar proportions -- 64 depth, 67 table, 1.35 l/w. I love the look of the smaller table (it's hard to find smaller tables, I would have preferred that), and the D color is extraordinarily beautiful. Personally,I would never never trade mine up in size for a different color or larger table, but those are my choices.

I am thinking of having mine reset with trapezoid side stones. If you're considering side stones, you might want to give this combination a look/see.

Lots of luck to you. I'm sure your fiancee will adore it!

Hope

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good move Timbo,

You did a very important thing. You used your eyes also.
If a diamond "talks to you" you need to stop looking and
make friends with that diamond. It looks like you have done that.
The important thing to remember is: There will always be a "better" diamond out there, you just have to learn when to stop and make up your mind.
It is sort of like dating and looking for a wife/husband. There will always be someone better looking or kinder or a better cook or make more money or that you might love more or they love you more. Sooner or later you need to stop looking and be happy.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/13/2003 7:35:28 AM dimonbob wrote:

Good move Timbo,

There will always be a "better" diamond out there, you just have to learn when to stop and make up your mind.
It is sort of like dating and looking for a wife/husband. There will always be someone better looking or kinder or a better cook or make more money or that you might love more or they love you more. Sooner or later you need to stop looking and be happy.

----------------

You are kidding with that last comment? One does not "shop" for a wife. Equating diamonds to finding a soulmate is ridiculous.

That said, if T is set on an emerald cut then the better color makes sense. Also, if the cut is better than go for it.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Sorry,I would go with the bigger stone, for 3 simple reasons
1) Shrinkage effect
2) It is only 1000.00 more and you are getting a bigger stone
3) Ec look smaller than rbc.(therefore go to # 1 )
9.gif

good luck

timbo

Rough_Rock
thanks all...good comments....My mind is set on the smaller one. I am going crazy with this and did lots and lots of research!!! I am farrrrr from an expert....but I will be honest with everyone out there and I hope some of the experts can confirm this.

When these 2 stones were next to each other you could clearly tell -

1 - the 1.55 H was BIGGER (obvious)
2 - the 1.29 D was MUCH Cleaner looking

I realized also the ratio of 1.32 versus 1.55 was much nicer to the eye

My original goal was to get a quality cut/stone.

I hear so much on this board about how important a GOOD cut is and the smaller one has a much better table/depth...now it seems some people are saying go for size????

The $$$ was NOT a factor in my decision....

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/13/2003 8:20:18 AM timbo wrote:

My original goal was to get a quality cut/stone.

I hear so much on this board about how important a GOOD cut is and the smaller one has a much better table/depth...now it seems some people are saying go for size????

The $$$ was NOT a factor in my decision....
----------------

I don't know anything about emerald cut stones. I can not comment on the cut. But, if the D stone speaks to you than go for it.

I always like to throw out the size over quality for two reasons. One, men seem to get carried away with the specs. Most women just want a pretty sizable stone. A "G" SI w/ good cut is a very good stone - in a round brilliant.

In an emerald, it is easier to see color & clarity. Go with your gut. No one can tell you what is right for you. What do you think your finacee would like better?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If the smaller one was much cleaner-looking to the naked eye, then it's hard for me to imagine that the larger one would be more attractive no matter what. If you'd said that the larger one was a bit warmer in color or wasn't quite as lively I might have said go for the larger. With an EC, though, a great part of the appeal is in those mirror-effect of the facets, and if it looks like it hasn't been Windexed in 10 years then it's going to look yucky no matter how impressive the size is.

timbo

Rough_Rock
thanks again for replies/comments.....I think fiance will like either
1.gif
I dont know if all woamn do really prefer size over a really nice stone?? well....1.55 vs 1.3 isnt like 1.6 vs .9 or something like that!! Gotta go for it!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/13/2003 2:42:31 PM timbo wrote:

I dont know if all woamn do really prefer size over a really nice stone?? well....1.55 vs 1.3 isnt like 1.6 vs .9 or something like that!! Gotta go for it!!!
----------------

No, not all women - but a majority. I'm not saying these women want an L/I2. ..just given the choice (cut being equal) between a D/IF 1/2c & a .9 G/SI (still a very nice stone) Many, not all, would prefer the larger stone. Perhaps not on paper - but in real life. I'd take that bet all day long.

If the stone speaks to you go for it. If not, try again. Diamonds are coming on the market constantly. And if you choose to wait, as Lugus said, maybe find something in the middle like an F.

Yes, at the end of the day, we all must choose. Both times diamond shopping, I looked & looked. The two stones I have now hit me immediately..."That's the one" I thought at the time. Everyone is different. My decision was easy. My search difficult.

Good luck. Only *you* know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results