shape
carat
color
clarity

change setting questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ionfilms

Rough_Rock
Previously purchased a .8 carat diamond ring with a platinum setting and two .25 carat platinum earrings. I was wondering if I could have a custom platinum setting made with these three diamonds together.

What is a good price for a custom platinum setting?

Can the jeweler use the platinum from the ring and earrings instead of purchasing all new platinum?

How do I find a good trustworthy craftsman in New York City without going booth to booth on 47th St.?

I searched through this informative site but I am a novice buyer so any additional advice is gratefully welcomed.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
First of all, you should not need to have a custom setting made because there are plenty of settings that allow for the size of stones you have.
Second of all, make sure the diamonds look good together - in other words, are they the same quality and color?
Third - Do you have a jeweler in NYC? If so, you could get one much cheaper. I know a few places on 47th that sell settings rough (unpolished) but you have to "be in the business" to buy them. (but sell to some people anyway) You're just paying for the price of the gold, or platinum in this case. I've never bought platinum so I'm not sure if they stock them, but I'm sure some do. So, if you want to save yourself a lot of money, do the leg work and go to 47th st. (PM me if you want some places specifically to go to) and tell them you just want to SEE the ring and tell them what you're looking for. Then, when you find the one you like (and if they only have it in gold they can make it for you in platinum in a week or less) - go to your jeweler and tell him what you're looking for and where you found it.
Fourth - if you have tons of money, just forget all of that.
Fifth - if you do not have a jeweler in NYC whom you can count on for this than PM me and I'll recommend one that works there.
Whew - I'm exhausted!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results