shape
carat
color
clarity

chamelon tanzanite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever heard of this???? I just started hearing about this stone today...I''m sorry but I don''t have any other details except that the stone displays varying colors of purples and blues....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never heard of it, but tanzanite is a trichroic gem that has blue, purple and pink in it. I can see people thinking it has chameleon like qualities based on the trichroic properties.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 10:06:24 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Never heard of it, but tanzanite is a trichroic gem that has blue, purple and pink in it. I can see people thinking it has chameleon like qualities based on the trichroic properties.
TL your knowledge just astounds me....

Well it''s something new that my "tv show" has started promoting since the 1st of the year...and I was wondering if it was hubbub....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 10:17:21 PM
Author: rparker1998

Date: 1/9/2009 10:06:24 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
TL your knowledge just astounds me....

Well it''s something new that my ''tv show'' has started promoting since the 1st of the year...and I was wondering if it was hubbub....
It''s total rubbish rparker and just a marketing ploy! As TL has said, Tanzanite is trichroic and therefore in different lights can look more purple or more blue (with pink and red flashes). I''ve seen Tanzanite marketed as "colour change Tanzanite" which is nonsense! All that happens is the Tanzanite is very strongly trichroic (more so than other pieces). Don''t be duped into buying one unless what you actually want is a piece of Tanzanite.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with the rest; I''ve never heard of a colour change tanzanite but am aware that if tilted or viewed in a different angle, the colour can vary from blue to purple to pink.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, sounds interesting. I haven''t seen it before either though.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''m afraid I agree with the others - sounds a bit like a marketing ploy to me. Does it change color based on the viewing angle or based on the lighting?

Swala Gem Traders

Rough_Rock
It''s just marketing non-sense. Tanzanite is a commercial name for a blue zoisite. Any other colored zoisite should be called either "fancy zoisite", "pink zoisite", etc rather than "fancy tanzanite" or "pink tanzanite".
The "rainbow" of colors (poetically described as "chameleon") has to due with trichroism, as described above. Non heated fancy colored zoisites can display quite a few colors and can indeed be beautiful (I''ll try to upload a few pictures later on).

Regards,

Swala Gem Traders

Rough_Rock
This picture has not been modified.
You can see that there are quite a few colors. Note that because of its trichroism, if the zoisite had been cut on a different axis, the colors would have been different.

ref6727swalagemtraders.jpg

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
be aware of color change or color shift-almost all stones have this quality to some digree-some people try to make something out of shifting light sources to make their point-another problem i see a lot is labeling color-change demantoid garnet-the stuff is out there so to speak but only under certain conditions & not always repeatable...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results