shape
carat
color
clarity

ceylon sapphire from Brilliant Earth... opinions please?

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I posted this picture at the end of my original thread, looking for a great sapphire..but I don't think anybody saw it! Can you tell me what you think? It is 9.00mm x 6.55 x 4.65. Please let me know what you think....this is coming from Brilliant Earth, and I know they have received less than stellar commentary on this forum. Thanks so much for all your input and help. I am becoming addicted to all colored stones... well, more addicted! :) They are asking $3500 for this, not including any mounting.....THANKS!

https://www.pricescope.com/files/images/9x6.jpg

Bex

Shiny_Rock
I think it's very pretty (I'm partial to lighter stones) but the price seems a little steep. Is it certified unheated? I do really like Brilliant Earth's ethical/conflict free policies, and I have friends who are thrilled with their BE rings, but to me they've always seemed a bit expensive for what you get.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Bex|1390612818|3600719 said:
I think it's very pretty (I'm partial to lighter stones) but the price seems a little steep. Is it certified unheated? I do really like Brilliant Earth's ethical/conflict free policies, and I have friends who are thrilled with their BE rings, but to me they've always seemed a bit expensive for what you get.

Bex, Brilliant Earth sells BE rings? Isn't that kind of against the concept "Brilliant Earth"? It's not "Brilliant Earth Put in a Crucible to be Nuked and Diffused."

Wolfpackgirl, could you give us a straight down shot of the stone? I can't see the cutting very well.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I could be wrong, but I thought the "BE" in "BE ring" stood for brilliant earth, not beryllium diffusion. still I would like more info on the stone, stats, lab reports and all. the color looks quite gray and weak, the cutting not so brilliant.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
VL, that makes more sense.

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Hey guys...I asked for a certificate and they said no. Just the measurements and the fact that everyone in the office was oohing and ahhing about how beautiful it was....they will only say that there is gentle heating, no beryllium treatment or anything except heating. They have a fair return policy...so I could always check it out. They use 1 point diamonds around their halo rings...doesn't that seem smallish? On the upside they use F-G vvs side stones.for these...the completed ring would cost $3350. Thoughts? More thoughts? Thanks sooo much

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Oops,! I meant to $5350!!!! Thanks

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
So it is five thousand three hundred and fifty dollars and they said NO to a lab report but did say that everyone in the office was ooohing and aaahhing? That is the best they can do? I think you should walk and don't look back.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant Earth doesn't provide independent lab reports for any of their sapphires, even their most expensive ones. They simply say, for each and every stone, that it "has been hand selected by our GIA-certified gemologists for its exceptional characteristics and rarity."

I wouldn't send them $5350 without (a) seeing the stone for myself (based on that lone picture, neither the cut nor the color make my heart sing), and (b) obtaining an independent lab report -- before it is set. Have they quoted you a price for the stone alone? Here's AGL's descriptions & price list for their 2 most popular lab reports:
http://aglgemlab.com/gembrief/
http://aglgemlab.com/the-prestige-report/
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/

Would you consider going down in size; how important to you is having a completed ring sooner rather than later?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If you are up for buying your own sapphire, and having a setting made for it, you can find some nice sapphires here:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html#thumb

You can contact vendors for estimates on a halo. Chrono listed some good vendors here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-ideas-for-a-mahenge.195210/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-ideas-for-a-mahenge.195210/[/URL]

Chrono|1384452290|3556454 said:
DBL - it seems to be hit and miss. Sometimes the workmanship is WOW and sometimes it leaves me shaking my head in a bad way.
BGD - has always been the most expensive vendor when I am getting quotes, hence I've never done any projects with them.
ERD - good cast setting but phone calls seem to be their preferred communication method. Can be hit or miss too since they use different benches. Some are GOOD and some aren't so.
IDJ - great for those on a budget. I cannot vouch for the quality since I have not worked with them.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
i would not buy a gem of that value without a certificate. and despite the return policy, it will be a hassle/potentially expensive for you to receive the stone from BE, get it insured, send it to a lab (preferably AGL for a gem brief), get it back then maybe return it to BE if not as advertised.

why go through all the work when there are so many vendors who will provide paperwork? also, does anyone know about the quality of BE's halo's? it is NOT an easy task ...

also (and please, take this with a huge grain of salt bc i am NOT great at evaluating stones based on photos) -- to me, the top and bottom halves of the stone look like they have different colors / transparency.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$5k is a lot of money to accept the seller's word that it is heat only. I would want an independent lab report from a big lab, no ifs and buts, when buying an expensive sapphire. On top of that, pricing seems on the high side for the carat weight, colour and treatment.

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Just to clarify, I did mean Brilliant Earth by BE! And I agree with everyone who is against buying and setting sight unseen. There are too many places that are more consumer friendly and are happy to provide reports.

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!!!! This is the kind of information I really need...I guess I am easily intimidated by their "sales tactics" and if I am truly thinking...I would know to demand certification. I will ask for it, and if they refuse. I will DEFINITELY walk away and not look back! :) Too many other "sapphires in the sea" so to speak... and $5K is LOTS of money to not know what I am actually getting. THANKS AGAIN! - Judi

Bex

Shiny_Rock
What about this one?

jeff_davies_sapphire.jpg

2.46ct electric blue Sapphire - Ceylon
9.10 x 7.35 x 4.79 mm
Heat Only, AIGS CERTIFIED
$2950 shipped

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How can they prove it's a more ethically sourced sapphire than others from the same area? I'm just curious.

wolfpackgirl

Rough_Rock
That is pretty Bex! Where did you find it and cost? Am I seeing flashes of green in there? Very beautiful stone to my woefully untrained eye! Thank you! :wavey:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
carmen1|1390658022|3600946 said:
I prefer the Africa Gems sapphire you asked about in your previous thread to the one from Brilliant Earth, and with the higher price tag and their refusal to provide a lab report I'd pass on that stone.

I know you were looking for an oval or cushion, but the color of this round made me think of your search:

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loos...ot-59-ct-round-ceylon-sapphire-from-sri-lanka
Nice stone. That would not need a halo because it is so big. I'd stick that in a solitaire, or a classic 3 stone with 2 small diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results