shape
carat
color
clarity

Certs from EGL, GIA, AGS, AIGS.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adept

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am trying to find out how i can actually order a GEM Cert.
It seems that all the websites just list information about the certs and or company but does not give you information on how to order one or what the price might be. Does anybody know how to actually order a cert say from EGL? What is the typical price for a colored stone report.

thanks.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I'd probably stick to AGL or AGTA for colored gems.

AGTA has their pricelist up on their website. For AGL I think you still have to just call them up, although a web site is supposedly in the works.

Like with diamonds, cost depends on size. Some gems may run a little more than others. Identification (type of gem and whether natural) is one cost; origin determination and additional tests like Raman or IR spectroscopy may run more.

adept

Rough_Rock
Thanks, i checked out AGTA and they are asking $95 for a cert. Do you know what EGL charges? they do not list any prices on their website. When i purchased a stone from Multicolour.Com i got one from AIGS fro $30.00

thanks

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
Well gemstones reports prices depends of course of the company you are giving your stones and the type of reports you are asking.
Diamond grading reports are usualy quite expensive, more than gemstone identification.
Now some labs have full reports and mini reports, the latest ones with less information: For example just identification of the stone, no information about possible treatments.
Some laboratories have a worlwide reputation as Gubelin, SSEF (both in switzerland)and GIA (in USA). Then there are other laboratories as AGTA, EGL, IGI,...
AIGS is the oldest gemological laboratory in Asia. It is not as wellknown as the previous ones but its a good laboratory with experienced gemologists. Situated in the heart of Bangkok they can see tens of rubies and sapphires every day! Richard Hugues and Ken Scarrat (now in AGTA) were its former boss. But the Asian crisis striking in Thailand has seriously damaged its growing. That's the reason it is cheaper. Multicolor has an office in Bangkok using regularly their services for many borderline stones they get especially alexandrites and rubies.
Now the lab prices depends on their costs and commercial policy. Usualy labs deeply involve in research projects are more expensive as they have a lot of advanced instruments, research staff to pay... Commercial labs are usualy cheaper: They have less costs but also usually are not so well known so their reports are less easily accepted... So their are cheaper!
It does not mean that they are bad. for 95% of the stones all the labs will be fine, now in the case of a stone with a recent treatment some labs dont have the datas or the equipment or just they have never seen yet such stone...So they dont ask the same price.
You can find good laboratories near mining areas that issue cheap report for dealers. I know some labs in Burma issuing reports for around 1$. They are good labs as they have seen so many stone from their area. But they are less good with a fancy stone coming from outside their place with a fancy new treatment for exemple.
Anyway all the labs even the one with the best reputation and equipment do mistakes from time to time. Thats why they issue "reports" and not "certificates".

Anyway, the best is to ask them their price list by email for example.

Now if you want to order a gem cert, the problem is that you will have to send the stone to the lab or to ask the company you will buy the stone from to provide you this report. Sending stones is expensive and this thing can even be more expensive than the report itself.

If you are lucky to live near a gemological laboratory, just go to see them with your stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results