shape
carat
color
clarity

Certified Natural Sapphires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

johnray

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for an unheated natural sapphire for an engagment ring. I have had several local dealers and jewelers bring in stones. I have also had stones sent to me by the Natural Sapphire Company out of NYC. I like one of their stones the best. It is "certified" by NSC but not GIA or another lab. Should I spend the couple hundred bucks to get an outside lab to cert it or not. Basically what is everyone''s experience with NSC and can I rely on their cert alone? The stone is around the $5-6K range so not the really high end stuff that they have already certified by outside firms.

Thanks for any help.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never purchased anything from NSC, but PS''ers consider them a more reliable sapphire company (someone correct me if not). However you do raise a very good point, I never thoght to ask how they know that a sapphire is unheated. I''m assuming they have an in house gemologist with a full lab that checks their stones out. In any case, I would ask them that question, unless someone already knows. It never hurts to have a lab cert from a prestigious lab like the GIA, AGL, or AGTA though. This would only help maintain the stone''s value.

johnray

Rough_Rock
Great thanks. I was planning on having an outside lab do it. Which do you suggest.

Thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The premier labs for colored gems are AGTA or AGL. If you're in Europe, GRS. GIA is also good, but they don't do origin reports if you want one, at least not while I checked last. They're used primarily for white diamonds and colored diamonds. Would NSC sentdthe stone for you to one of those labs, that way you do not incur the repsonsibility for the stone if it gets damaged, lost in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results