shape
carat
color
clarity

Certified Mailing of High Value Jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know what the process is for sending high value items through Certified mail? What is the max coverage as well as do the items need to be insured? Has anyone ever done this or had to make a claim for a lost item? Thanks!

- NicRez

:)

Brilliant_Rock
max usps is 25K. if you are above that you will need to work with a vendor to get fed ex coverage as only businesses are able to have coverage for that (for example sending a stone to an appraiser you can send it fed ex and they can charge you for it as part of your bill). I think it was Widget who had to use Brinks once.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say Hi Nicrez, good to see you back here
35.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The service you want is USPS registered mail, not certified mail.
There's info about the various limits of declared value and postage rates at www.usps.gov
Go to the PO, fill out a form, pay a few bucks and it's on the way.
Yes, I have been involved with claims against the post office. It was a pain in the neck but eventually they paid in full.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
And if they lose it, you must be able to prove the value of it. Therefore, do not send all of your paperwork with the stone or ring, without keeping a backup copy in your possession.

shay

ceylonfan

Rough_Rock
I read an article not too long ago that impled that Blue Nile delivered some of their diamonds via armoured trucks. I wonder if this is true and what the threashold is for this delivery method.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil, why is it a hassle?

I just went to USPS.gov.

Sounds like if not received within 15 days, you just download USPS Form 1000.
Fiill it out and attach receipt proving evidence of Value.
Bring it to any post office with that little date stamped Receipt for Registered Mail that they gave you (PS form 3806).

They pay within 30 days.
Sounds simple.

Are you talking about people who have no receipt, and establishing value after the fact?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny,

Date: 2/9/2007 3:24:40 PM
Author: Shay37
And if they lose it, you must be able to prove the value of it. Therefore, do not send all of your paperwork with the stone or ring, without keeping a backup copy in your possession.

shay
You can declare any amount you want on the shipping form but the paperwork requirements to support a claim can be cumbersome.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA)ICGA(AGS) NAJA

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the invoice from GOG that shows the value, which is actually a little more than their 25K maximum I insured it for when I sent it registered mail.
It was mailed only a month after I purchased the loose stone, so it didn't change in value over time.

That won't be enough documentation in my case?

You must be refering to people who overstate the value, lost the receipt, or bought it years ago. Right?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2007 5:08:45 PM
Author: kenny
I have the invoice from GOG that shows the value, which is actually more than the 25K I insured it for when I sent is registered mail.
It was mailed only a month after I purchased the loose stone, so it didn't change in value over time.

That won't be enough documentation in my case?

You must be refering to people who overstate the value, lost the receipt, or bought it years ago. Right?
A recent invoice involving the same item where the declared value is identical to the transaction price is perfect. The problem I"ve seen comes with dealers, who ship this way a lot, who may have owned it for quite a while, who may not own it at all or who may not have an easy paper trail because it was purchased as a trade in or some similar non-cash transaction.

I would not expect any claims trouble in your situation.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Neil.
The asscher has not been received yet.
I'm getting nervous as there are just a few days left before I can file a claim.

Nice to hear I would have an easy claim, though I'd lose any value over $25K.
7.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The downside of registered mail service is that it tends to travel rather slowly. I''m not sure where you are but from Colorado to GIA in NYC can take weeks. To or from rural communities that are far apart is even worse.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Hi Lorelei! I didn''t think anyone remembered I even used to post here. It''s been quite some time....THanks again for the help guys! That''s what makes PS great!

Neil, you hit the topic on the head. It WAS registered I believe. Reason is it is a high value item that is already insured. the whole prospect of WEEKS is not so good. Shipping from NY to CO via armored would be next day, but you may be looking at $500, versus how much registered mail may be...and that''s with your OWN insurance I believe...

:), (I Love your screen name by the way!): Items that are over $25K usually are safer being shipped via Brinks, Malca-Amit, Ferrari and other various high value transport. Consider that the dealers and buyers on 47th will not ship ONE stoen at a time. They may ship MANY, so the values of the entire parcel will be in the hundred of thousands to millions... so a little stones here and there in the US Postal System is fine, but for more secure things, as the 16ct stones, or the Van Cleef 39Ct necklace, you will have to get an armored delivery. Also consider, these people would risk their lives on the streets of NY to walk over an item to CT, via train. Sure the common layman would do it, but after all these items might already be insured (and I hope at higher values they ARE), so being KNOWN in the business, and walking around with a tempting package is DANGEROUS.

And Blue Nile using armored cars services for deliveries is not at all uncommon, considering their items not per individual price, but in aggregate value.

My new business model would include homing pidgeons. Tie a little velvet sack to their leg and set them toward the destination with a little GPS locator (to track their progress for the technology dependant). Might work and it''s as cheap as feeding a pidgeon!
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 11:06:33 PM
Author: Nicrez
35.gif
Hi Lorelei! I didn''t think anyone remembered I even used to post here. It''s been quite some time....THanks again for the help guys! That''s what makes PS great!

Neil, you hit the topic on the head. It WAS registered I believe. Reason is it is a high value item that is already insured. the whole prospect of WEEKS is not so good. Shipping from NY to CO via armored would be next day, but you may be looking at $500, versus how much registered mail may be...and that''s with your OWN insurance I believe...

:), (I Love your screen name by the way!): Items that are over $25K usually are safer being shipped via Brinks, Malca-Amit, Ferrari and other various high value transport. Consider that the dealers and buyers on 47th will not ship ONE stoen at a time. They may ship MANY, so the values of the entire parcel will be in the hundred of thousands to millions... so a little stones here and there in the US Postal System is fine, but for more secure things, as the 16ct stones, or the Van Cleef 39Ct necklace, you will have to get an armored delivery. Also consider, these people would risk their lives on the streets of NY to walk over an item to CT, via train. Sure the common layman would do it, but after all these items might already be insured (and I hope at higher values they ARE), so being KNOWN in the business, and walking around with a tempting package is DANGEROUS.

And Blue Nile using armored cars services for deliveries is not at all uncommon, considering their items not per individual price, but in aggregate value.

My new business model would include homing pidgeons. Tie a little velvet sack to their leg and set them toward the destination with a little GPS locator (to track their progress for the technology dependant). Might work and it''s as cheap as feeding a pidgeon!
31.gif
Haha, nice to see you back here Nicrez!!!! Have missed your posts!!
35.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Hey Kaleigh! It''s been a while. Still a busy gal, but I have referred many a budgeting friend to this site for stones. It''s like I should have business cards with PS on them and just hand them out!

By the way, I have a friend who recently wanted a classic ring with round, but wanted something "less boring" than what she kept seeing out there. I suggested your ring set exactly and she is having them made this next month... Great taste!
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results