shape
carat
color
clarity

Certificate questions/HCA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curiousone

Rough_Rock
Hello once again to all you diamond gurus out there. Just two questions for you guys this time.

1. I could be reading this wrong but can someone explain to me why the diameter report from the GIA is different from the Sarin report? The GIA certificate says it is 7.14 - 7.18 x 4.37 mm. The Sarin report says 7.22 (7.20 - 7.23).

2. When using the HCA, I get better results using the crown/pavilion % then when using the angle. Shouldn''t it be the same? If not, which is more reliable?

Thank you in advance for your help
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not too sure about the GIA vs Sarin though I do know that sometimes they do not match.

On the % vs angles, the angles are more *accurate* but the % will give you a better score because they use an RANGE of numbers as opposed to the actual angle. Use the angles..the % will not give you an accurate idea of how the stone will perform.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi curiousone,

You should expect a small difference between the GIA report and the sarin analysis in many cases.

GIA uses a hand held guage to measure the diameter
of a diamond, while the sarin is a computerized devise
which takes measurements.

As for the HCA, I believe it is mentioned that the angles
are more accurate than the percentages.

kirk

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Correct Kirk - sarin is not designed to measure dimensions - it measures angles.

Do a search here or read the click through stuff at the page to find out why angles are safer and stricter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results