shape
carat
color
clarity

Certificate of authenticity for mahenge spinel

omc111

Rough_Rock
Hi eveybody--

I'm new to colored stones. I recently bought a mahenge spinel from Swala Gem Traders. It arrived without a certificate of authenticity and when I emailed Eric at Swala Gem Traders asking for one, I got no response. Should I be concerned? I feel like I'm buying blind here...

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Has he not responded to you since you received it? Hopefully he's just away or something. Fingers crossed my friend.

ETA
I just looked on their website and it says: We are the Ambassador to Tanzania for the International Colored gemstone Association (ICA) and will issue certificates of authenticity. Maybe they just forgot to include it in the packaging? Maybe you should amend your post to include their names. I've seen them respond often on this site, and then you'll get answer. *fingers crossed*

omc111

Rough_Rock
Haven't heard from him since he emailed me that the stone had shipped. That's why I'm wondering if what I'm asking for is unusual.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sometimes takes him a while to respond to emails. As to the certificate, since it is hard to mail the stones out of Tanzania, I do not think he ever supplied the certificate, at least not in the same package. Keep on trying, he'll probably respond.

omc111

Rough_Rock
Is that why the stone came packaged in such an odd way?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
What do you mean by odd? I have recieved lots of gemstones heavily packaged and wrapped to make sure they are not damaged. Is this what you mean?

I'm sure he just forgot. While I have no personal experience with that company I havent' read any negative reviews on them. Most people are very happy with their purchases from there and if not they do quick returns etc.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
omc111|1314249390|2998985 said:
Is that why the stone came packaged in such an odd way?

Yes. Personally, I'm very fond of the packaging!

Eric does a fair amount of traveling. He always responds to his email, but it may take a while if he is on the road.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I never got a certificate of authenticity when I got my Mahenge from Swala. :confused:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a rather expensive Mahenge Spinel from Swala and did not get a certificate.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is this "certificate of authenticity?" If the gem doesn't have a reputable lab report (which you can obtain yourself), then a COA is meaningless. Anyone can write a COA. What you need is a reputable third party neutral lab that proves a memo or report that verifies the stone is natural and free of treatment or invasive treatment.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
No certificate for me, either, but I honestly never thought about it. With the secretive way of shipping, likely he doesn't include it with the stone for the sake of safety. And, like TL says . . . if you're nervous about it not being real, a "hey, this is a Mahenge spinel" note taped to the stone doesn't really do anything about the true authenticity. :)

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think what TL said has more bearing on the authenticity of the stone. I have never heArd of such a thing for stones. It should be on your receipt.
Annette
PS Someone thought they wouldn't have to pay for a lab report and thought this would do. Maybe?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only reports that I would trust is AGL or maybe GIA.

omc111

Rough_Rock
Please don't misunderstand. I love the stone--it's absolutely beautiful and I certainly meant no disrespect to Swala Gem Traders. Since I'm new, I was just trying to be careful...back to lurking I think. :oops:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
omc111|1314311789|2999645 said:
Please don't misunderstand. I love the stone--it's absolutely beautiful and I certainly meant no disrespect to Swala Gem Traders. Since I'm new, I was just trying to be careful...back to lurking I think. :oops:
You're completely free to ask this question, OMC. Please don't let the abrasiveness of some scare you back into lurkdom.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

You asked a perfectly reasonable question, no need to apologize.

Many people on the CS forum send gemstones to someplace like AGL for an independent report. It's not always worth doing if the gemstone was very inexpensive. A local graduate gemologist can tell you if something is synthetic, but only a few places can do some more sophisticated tests. Don't ever be embarrassed to ask questions!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Your question was perfectly good omc11. No worries. Post on. :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point about the CoA as I've never heard of one. That said, it is just a piece of paper that does not have much value in itself. If you are concerned about whether the stone is authentic, you are better off getting a fast track brief from AGL which is a reputable lab that is well recognized in the coloured gemstone world/market.

I rather like the unusual packaging from Swala which I think is to deter theft and general mailing curiousity. Most of the time, the brothers are on the road so email responses can be spotty but when they are in town, the response is very quick.

omc111

Rough_Rock
The method of packaging makes sense now that I think about it. I just couldn't find the stone for awhile and panicked a little! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1314315187|2999712 said:
You're completely free to ask this question, OMC. Please don't let the abrasiveness of some scare you back into lurkdom.

?????

If you have a problem with people on this board Athena, then take it up with the moderators. There's no need to be insulting to others trying to help the OP.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I think you may be over-reacting, TL. It is a common perception that CS is somewhat the Wild West of PS. It can be a scary place for newbies.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1314467330|3001707 said:
I think you may be over-reacting, TL. It is a common perception that CS is somewhat the Wild West of PS. It can be a scary place for newbies.

Upgradable, no offense, but I think Athena can explain her comment. I took offense to it, as people like you, me and others do try to help others on this forum, and to insinuate that some of them are abrasive, is rude. Many of us, who are very long time posters, get absolutely nothing for helping others in this forum, and I swear, I don't know why I even bother sometimes.

If she wanted to make her point, she didn't have to call people abrasive. Again, I think Athena should explain her comment, or if she has problems with people on this board, instead of openly insulting them, take it up with the moderators. They can best alleviate the situation.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually attribute it to the sterile, expressionless nature of written communication - no emotion other than emoticons. The words, if delivered face to face, would most likely be softened by the tone of voice or a sympathetic facial expression but are not at all. I always try and keep this in mind when reading someone's emails; sometimes I think people read posts as critical or condescending but I think about the writer and know that's not at all how they meant it...the whole message is not coming through, only the words without the modifying gentleness bestowed by the nonverbal stuff...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1314468050|3001732 said:
I actually attribute it to the sterile, expressionless nature of written communication - no emotion other than emoticons. The words, if delivered face to face, would most likely be softened by the tone of voice or a sympathetic facial expression but are not at all. I always try and keep this in mind when reading someone's emails; sometimes I think people read posts as critical or condescending but I think about the writer and know that's not at all how they meant it...the whole message is not coming through, only the words without the modifying gentleness bestowed by the nonverbal stuff...

I agree.

TL, I'm not defending or speaking for Athena. It's just that I didn't read the statement as an intentional insult.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1314468417|3001739 said:
I didn't read the statement as an intentional insult.

I did, and in the past, if I had insulted some people, I had the consideration to explain myself, and/or apologize. You were also not part of the grouping of people in this post that I believe she insulted. Again, if people have problems with other people on this board, and it is really upsetting them, they should tell the moderators. Heaven knows, I have been offended and insulted numerous times on this board, and let it go, and I know others have been offended by me as they told me so. I will say that I never intentionally tried to offend anyone, but I can only use so many emoticons. . . :roll:

Just not a happy, feely, touchy, lovey, emotional person, sorry. I tell it like it is, and that's my writing style. I apologize if this comes off as "abrasive."

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1314469689|3001781 said:

I did, and in the past, if I had insulted some people, I had the consideration to explain myself, and/or apologize. You were also not part of the grouping of people in this post that I believe she insulted. Again, if people have problems with other people on this board, and it is really upsetting them, they should tell the moderators. Heaven knows, I have been offended and insulted numerous times on this board, and let it go, and I know others have been offended by me as they told me so. I will say that I never intentionally tried to offend anyone, but I can only use so many emoticons. . . :roll:

Just not a happy, feely, touchy, lovey, emotional person, sorry. I tell it like it is, and that's my writing style. I apologize if this comes off as "abrasive."

Sorry if I wasn't clear TL. I was saying that I didn't read anything into your comments - didn't get intentional insult or abrasiveness - I was not referring to AW.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The CS board can be intimidating. Pure and simple. My comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Sorry if you decided to take it personally TL.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that we may be intense and very diverse in opinions, but it is related to a striking subjectivity of "beauty" when it comes to color.

If one reads threads about someone losing a stone, or having problems with a vendor, or requesting to source out a stone, or help with a design, it becomes obvious that sometimes we are also a very supportive bunch.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1314485830|3002168 said:

The CS board can be intimidating. Pure and simple. My comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Sorry if you decided to take it personally TL.

I think that would have been a better way of putting it instead of calling people "abrasive." Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results