shape
carat
color
clarity

Cert vs. Non-Cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
(I am trying a different topic title to hopefully be more clear)

I just purchased an engagement ring from a local jeweler who is a member of AGS, and boasts having an "accredited AGS lab on premesis". (Which I saw in the corner of the store, consisting of what looked like a microscope, and other equipment) It is a local jeweler with 80 years in the business and a good reputation in town.

Although the diamond comes with no GIA or EGL cert, it does come with a detailed grading report and appraisal done by their AGS certified appraiser/jeweler. Is this unusual, normal, a rip-off, and/or is it worth the money to get it certified by EGL. It is a 1 carat round stone, with H color and SI2 clarity. My purchase price was $4000 for the stone.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks all

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Hi Sean: I don't know personally if it's unusual, normal, or a rip-off; my instinct would be to say "no". Not every stones comes with a cert.

As to whether or not it's worth it to get a cert: I don't think the cost of getting a cert would be "worth it" unless you plan to sell/trade the stone in the future. Even then, you'd need to consider if cert would command enough of a price difference to make up the cost of getting it. Also, what is the price difference between getting a cert from EGL or one from GIA/AGS?

Personally, I'd choose to forgo the cert and instead get a detailed independent appraisal if I were in your position. Not only will you get an unbiased opinion on your stone, but you'll also have something with which to secure insurance.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what Aljdewey said. Unless you are planning on selling the stone, the "brand name" of a lab is not worth all that much. The purpose of a cert is to give you peace of mind and info about your stone. In your case, an independent appraiser (NOT the in-store appraiser) would do that just as well or even better.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Again, Ditto here.

But, I would have a quick independent appraisal done to verify some of the specs. It's just a bit of a conflict of interest (naturally/nothing sinister) to have the firm that sells the stone also appraise/evalutate the stone.

Good luck1

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
THanks for your opinions. What can I expect to pay for a detailed independent appraisal? Just so I know.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
A normal, detailed one is about $100, give or take.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
The jewlery store owner took my call today very professionally and told me that she doesn't certify every diamond in her store, because many of her customers are on a price budget and she can offer stones at a better price that are still of good quality, but uncertified. She said she generally does not certify stones like mine (1 carat, H, SI2) because it would put a lot of people up over their budget due to the higher demand for certified stones. I dunno..I guess that makes sense.

I have little doubt that the stone is of the specs she said it was based on the store's reputation and the way it looked under the loop. I just want to make sure the thing isnt fake. Though I don't think the store would have stayed in business over 70 years if they were selling fake stones, but weirder things have happened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/11/2003 10:30:24 PM seanmusik wrote:
The jewlery store owner took my call today very professionally and told me that she doesn't certify every diamond in her store, because many of her customers are on a price budget and she can offer stones at a better price that are still of good quality, but uncertified. She said she generally does not certify stones like mine (1 carat, H, SI2) because it would put a lot of people up over their budget due to the higher demand for certified stones. I dunno..I guess that makes sense.

I have little doubt that the stone is of the specs she said it was based on the store's reputation and the way it looked under the loop. I just want to make sure the thing isnt fake. Though I don't think the store would have stayed in business over 70 years if they were selling fake stones, but weirder things have happened.

----------------
Sounds like a reasonable reply.

Again, do yourself a favor. Invest the $100-$150 into a solid independent appraisal.....it's worth it many times over for the peace of mind it will provide you.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
I will certainly spend that money for the independent appraisal. I am proposing this weekend though, so unless someone can get it done in a flash, I will have to wait until after the deed is done.
1.gif

I hope it all works out. I'm sure it will. Thanks for all of your advice.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/12/2003 8
6.gif
7:57 AM seanmusik wrote:
I will certainly spend that money for the independent appraisal. I am proposing this weekend though, so unless someone can get it done in a flash, I will have to wait until after the deed is done.
1.gif

I hope it all works out. I'm sure it will. Thanks for all of your advice.----------------
I know time is tight for you, but I'd strongly recommend that you go to any lengths possible to get the appraisal prior to the proposal. Call the appraiser and explain your predicament in needing the appraisal before your proposal. I'd even offer to pay the appraiser a bit more for the premium of immediate service.

If you wait until after the proposal, what happens if the stone is graded lower than your expectations? You're stuck, unless you want to ask your girl to give up the ring you proposed with, and if she's sentimental, that may not fly. Then you'll have to live with it, and if you're like me, it would drive you crazy every time you look at it.

If you and she are less sentimental about it, then no worries about waiting on the appraisal.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
She and I are quite sentimental. I just don't know what I will do if the other appraiser comes back with an I-1 rating. I guess I will just return the ring. The jewelery store's defense has been that "keep in mind that the rating is just one person's opinion, and our people are AGS accredited..blah blah blah...

I am probably overreacting and it will come back fine. If I take it to the store today, I am sure they can have it for me by the end of the week if they are any good.

Thanks again all.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
Ok Update...

I went back to the store and upgraded my stone. I just needed that certification for my own peace of mind that I got her the best I could get and have the GIA laser inscription to back it up. I upgraded from an H-SI2 to a G-VS1, which is a major upgrade in clarity especially. The cut on the new diamond is better with the table being especially better. It cost me another $1700 beans, but after looking at the big picture last night when I couldn't sleep, I think I made the right choice.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/12/2003 3:23:38 PM seanmusik wrote:

I went back to the store and upgraded my stone. .......

It cost me another $1700 beans, but after looking at the big picture last night when I couldn't sleep, I think I made the right choice.

----------------

Sean, KUDOS! That is one of the most rational posts I've read on this board in quite some time. I'd say you made POSITIVELY the right choice for you.

Purchasing a diamond is a very individual experience. Everyone can help you learn about the various elements of a diamond, but only YOU can determine how much importance you place on each of those things in finally making a selection, and there are as many viewpoints as there are opinions. At the end of the day, YOU need to determine what you can live with. People overlook that, and it's the most important thing in getting a diamond (or anything else, for that matter).

I'm sure you'll both be delighted. Congrats, and please don't forget to posts pics when you can!

PS: I'd still strongly recommend an independent appraisal.....not at the store where you purchased it, but someplace else. It'll come in handy to obtain insurance and give you peace of mind.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that vote of confidence. I agree with you. I feel so much more relaxed about it today than I did yesterday. I am so thrilled about the stone, and the certification.

I will also take your advice about the appraisal. I feel less pressured now that it is GIA certified, but I will still have it done with the peace of mind of knowing that the GIA laser inscription follows it everywhere it goes.

I am getting a digital cam tomorrow, so I will be sure and share the pics when the deed is done.
1.gif
I am sure we will have some killer pictures from the beach in Cancun.

I must also say that the people on this board have helped me SOOOO much with this. Without all of the opinions and viewpoints here, I would have had a much tougher time making this decision.

seanmusik

Rough_Rock
Thanks rich...now all I need to do is "pop" the old question.

Sleep has been tough to come by. This whole thing has consumed me. I guess thats why they call it LOVE..
1.gif
Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results