shape
carat
color
clarity

Center stone from James Allen + ring setting from Fiorese Gems, is it a bad idea?

Seeworld

Rough_Rock
We decide to upgrade my ring on our 10 year anniversary. I want at least 1.6ct and prefer 2ct center stone with True H&A, G color, VS2 or better. Because of our budget, we decided to get lab diamonds.

I found a couple good reviewed vendors from China and India through this forum and I have been communicating with them. Because of my high requirements on cutting, each vendor only shows me 2-3 options and none of them really True H&A or pass the HCA test. The vendors told me they will send me more options but I have not yet received anything.

Then I found James Allen, even their price is a little bit higher than the overseas vendors but the selection is huge and I rather pay a little more for a good center stone.

Here comes the "problem". I want a custom made setting, Fiorese Gems' quote is 50%-60% cheaper than any US jewelers. The difference is about $1000. With additional $1000, I can get a stone closer to 2 ct instead of 1.6ct. My husband suggested order the setting from Fiorese Gems and buy the stone from JA.

Do you think it's a bad idea? I heard a lot of jewelry stores refused to work with lab diamonds. Will I be able to find someone to set the center stone in the setting? Also, is there a chance that the stone doesn't fit in the setting? It's going to be a 3 stones ring with 4mm side lab diamonds.

Thank you!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
As long as your setting takes a 2ct stone, give or take .1mm, there should be no issue. I would first find a jeweller that is willing to take on the job, get a quote and see if the numbers work for you.

aisa901

Rough_Rock
I bought my centre stone from JA and had a local jeweller set it, no issues whatsoever with this process, except if I had to do it all again I would have gotten them to source lab melee as well, but that's more of a personal problem.

Screenshot some pictures of the setting you are hoping to have made, take the pictures around to a couple different jewellers to get quotes, they likely won't know it's a lab grown diamond until they secure the work and need to see the cert so they can I.D. the stone through the process.

If it's a custom ring, the centre stone should fit perfectly and every little detail should be crafted just as you like it. If the setting you've chosen isn't appropriate for the size of stone, they should be informing you of that and provide some options for reinforcing it to ensure the diamond is secure. My entire setting was remade once, and new pear melee side stones were switched out three times until I was happy with them, all for the original price I was quoted.

Seeworld

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for sharing your experience. It really helps :)

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
Are you based in the US? If so, are you thinking you’d ship the JA stone to Fiorese in China? Or would you give Fiorese the specs, have them create a setting without the stone, and then have a local jeweler mount it?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
My hesitation would be that the setting wouldn’t fit the stone if the vendor making the setting doesn’t have the stone. That being said a good vendor should be able to work off of stone dimensions. Just make sure you have some kind of return policy in writing should the setting not fit the stone when received.
As for stores not wanting to set lab diamonds I don’t see why that would be the case. It’s certainly not been my experience. I’ve had my local store unset and reset several lab diamonds. Certed and uncertified stones with no problems.

Seeworld

Rough_Rock
My hesitation would be that the setting wouldn’t fit the stone if the vendor making the setting doesn’t have the stone. That being said a good vendor should be able to work off of stone dimensions. Just make sure you have some kind of return policy in writing should the setting not fit the stone when received.
As for stores not wanting to set lab diamonds I don’t see why that would be the case. It’s certainly not been my experience. I’ve had my local store unset and reset several lab diamonds. Certed and uncertified stones with no problems.

I have similar concerned too about setting and the stone not fit well together, I think it is very difficult to return the setting as it's an oversea vendor. Also thanks for sharing your experience with the local store. Good to know they normally aren't picky about what stone it's.

Seeworld

Rough_Rock
Are you based in the US? If so, are you thinking you’d ship the JA stone to Fiorese in China? Or would you give Fiorese the specs, have them create a setting without the stone, and then have a local jeweler mount it?

Yes, I am in the US. I was thinking purchase them separately and having a local jeweler to mount the stone. But I am concerned it may not fit as Jax mentioned.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I had a semi mount made by one of the other Chinese vendors for a loose moissanite. I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, you're saving money on the front end by getting a deal on the setting, but if the stone ends up not fitting you'll end up eating that cost in repair or worse, you'll have to get a new setting. Even with the stone measurements, the prongs were a little short so when it came time to set the stone the jeweler didn't have much to work with. Within a week, one of the prongs had bent. So while I paid very little for the setting, after getting it set locally and then fixed locally I could have just gotten a similar setting at the local jeweler for about the same price.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a semi mount made by one of the other Chinese vendors for a loose moissanite. I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, you're saving money on the front end by getting a deal on the setting, but if the stone ends up not fitting you'll end up eating that cost in repair or worse, you'll have to get a new setting. Even with the stone measurements, the prongs were a little short so when it came time to set the stone the jeweler didn't have much to work with. Within a week, one of the prongs had bent. So while I paid very little for the setting, after getting it set locally and then fixed locally I could have just gotten a similar setting at the local jeweler for about the same price.

We’re the prongs also prenotched?
I’d think asking for a bit longer prongs and not being prenotched would help.
Not always though - depends on the jeweler/bench how much they want to spend the time making the prongs actually fit your stone :eyeroll:

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
We’re the prongs also prenotched?
I’d think asking for a bit longer prongs and not being prenotched would help.
Not always though - depends on the jeweler/bench how much they want to spend the time making the prongs actually fit your stone :eyeroll:

They were prenotched. I didn't know I had to ask for them not to be; I assumed they'd come straight and unfinished so the jeweler who would do the mounting could finish them off.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a setting come in with plenty long and unnotched prongs. The setter still did a subpar job. I’m surprised the stone doesn’t rattle.
It wasn’t a diamond cut calibrated stone though.
Sometimes we do all we can do- and still get what we get. :shrug:

They were prenotched. I didn't know I had to ask for them not to be; I assumed they'd come straight and unfinished so the jeweler who would do the mounting could finish them off.

Seeworld

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am sorry that you had issues with the prongs. I am not going to risk it and purchase them separately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results