shape
carat
color
clarity

Center Gem shape and possible Setting ideas for oval side stones

Curby311

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I'm hoping someone can assist me with determining what settings may complement oval side stones. I am completely stuck and figured I had better reach out to the experts ;)2

I have 2 sapphire side stones which measure about 5.8 x 4.8 mm face up and weigh in at about 0.75 ct weight per stone. I will have to track down a center stone but am first trying to figure out what types of settings may be available with oval side stones. I need to figure out what gem shape would complement the side stones. I'm not sure if cushion, oval or round would be better.

To get a visual, here is what the side stones look like:
upload_2019-2-15_9-46-41.png

I am open to having something made but am having a hard time finding many settings that use oval side stones. This has me a bit stuck on what to do for the shape of the center stone. This is for an engagement ring for myself and I am dealing with a tight budget of 6-7K max for the center stone and setting. I'm thinking I may have to go with pre-loved for the center stone to make the budget work. Can anyone offer any advice or examples of settings?

Many thanks =)2

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pink sapphire ring that has an oval center with oval side stones. It's a Parade Lace setting but I don't know if it is still being made. I love the color of your blue sapphires!

DSC_1031.JPG
IMG_0748.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a bypass design. Or go for a three stone ring with the same or bigger oval shape and size. An oval diamond would be ideal.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Catmom's 3-stone ring is lovely, but if you're using your sapphires as sidestones set N-S, your center stone would have to be pretty large, and if you're thinking a diamond, I think you would have to make comprises on quality if you want the center stone to be larger than the sidestones.

If you definitely want to use those sapphires as sidestones, I think apart from the suggestions above, you could use a design similar to WWW where the side sapphires are set E-W. If you don't like the hexagon, then just use simple prongs instead of bezels. In this kind of style, a round center would work better than an oval center.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that an oval diamond would look amazing in the center of a three stone with the sapphires. How about using a Moissanite temporarily while you save a little more, and a custom setting? Then you could just switch the center stones and no one would know the wiser!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results