shape
carat
color
clarity

Cavity in a diamond..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond326

Rough_Rock
Guys I found this diamond and i like the price of it...it is a SI1 diamond with a lot of inclusions(at least it looks like there is a lot of them from GIA report). This diamond looks great under an idealscope and the only issue i have with it are the inclusions...Can you guys look at the GIA report of this diamond and tell me if it is worth buying? I`m mainly concerned with all the feathers and especially the CAVITY..I can`t spot the cavity on the GIA report , i mean it is listed but i can`t see it on the picture.. What do you guys think? Will the cavity give me problems in the furure?
here is the link to the diamond, just click on the GIA to see the report..

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=7093574

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I think you''ll be OK if you remember to floss....

Actually, someone else should check me, but since it says none for comments, I wonder if you''re just seeing the legend notes, telling you that in the case that there were a cavity, it would be marked with the symbol as noted.

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
I do think there is a cavity there just not visible on the scanned in copy of the GIA certificate. I have a GIA certificate that only lists, feather and cloud since that''s what my diamond has. I''ve seen them that only list pinpoint as well.

I would call up Dirt Cheap Diamonds and ask about it specifically. I am pretty sure you''ll get a straight forward answer.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I''m certainly no pro, but if I had to guess, I think the cloud is bottom right on the crown view on the GIA cert, and the cavity is probably one of the little tiny circles on the upper left edge. Hard to tell with a scanned cert though. You''d probably need an independent appraiser to check out the stone to see if any of the feathers or the cavity would have any effect on its durability.

hardness10

Rough_Rock
FYI- i think the cavity is along the girdle about two-thirds of the way across the top of the plot--tiny. it looks like a lot of featghers for a SI1, are they really shallow?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, lots of inlcusions on an SI plot is better than just one - if there was just one that should be rather large for the SI1 grade and probably visible. The many small ones have better chances to be invisible. Those feathers ahould be really thin and wispy for that plot to be compatible with the Si1 grade. The red marks on paper always looks much worse than transparent thinghies lost inside a brilliant diamond.

That most of those inclusions appean on the face-down image of the plot should mena they were harder to locate looking through the table than through the bottom. And that at 10X.

I am notsurprised that the diamond looks totally clean in that picture. It should look clean in person as well - at the very least when mounted, and that''s what matters after all.

You may want to ask the seller whether this is "eye clean" in their view. I doubt DCD wants to keep shipping diamonds back and forth... so their account is relaible. IMO at least.

Hope some of the 0.2 worth helps. The diamond looks awfully tempting !
1.gif

diamond326

Rough_Rock
thank you guys for help, I have ordered the diamond and i will see it soon.. Then I`ll decide to keep it or not..I`m not even that much concerned about the feathers as much as about the CAVITY..Do they enlaege with time? Do they get dirty? Are they easy to clean? Do they chip in that spot later on if hit by an accident?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2005 1:16:46 AM
Author: diamond326

I`m not even that much concerned about the feathers ...
Feathers are contained in the diamond and stay as they are. You can probably find one exception to every rule, but diamond feathers that expand and crach further are definitely not the rule. In low clarity grades (thing I2 and lower) these things are large relative to the stone and may become a problem... but your stone is far, far from there.

I don''t think those inclusions are anything to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results