shape
carat
color
clarity

Cavities in a VS1 diamond?

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I was looking at a really pretty Old European Cut rated a VS1 by GIA. It has cavities and a bruise...for this level of clarity, is this something I should be concerned about? Thanks! Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 7.39.30 AM.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe most inclusions in VS1 stones should not present a problem, but the cavity being right next to the girdle might be an issue - I'd have to let other, far more knowledgeable people confirm!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The cavity is not an inclusion (its kinda an exclusion) and is not usually part of the VS1 grading - i.e. its extra.
It is very likely a chipping breakage risk - so should be sighted by an independant appraiser

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy a stone with any one of those words on" key to symbols". That just me.

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
The cavity is not an inclusion (its kinda an exclusion) and is not usually part of the VS1 grading - i.e. its extra.
It is very likely a chipping breakage risk - so should be sighted by an independant appraiser

Thank you--this was exactly what I was wondering!

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't buy a stone with any one of those words on" key to symbols". That just me.

Is a bruise concerning, too? I am still a novice. What makes you avoid these inclusions?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
A bruise is an area of impact with tiny feather-like fractures.
I agree with @Dancing Fire in that I won’t buy a stone with either of the above as well as knots, excessive clouds, and other things.

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
A bruise is an area of impact with tiny feather-like fractures.
I agree with @Dancing Fire in that I won’t buy a stone with either of the above as well as knots, excessive clouds, and other things.

Thank you for this! What about feathers in general? I am looking at a stone that is VS2 with feathers...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Feathers are very common. In a VS2 it shouldn’t be an issue, but by all means if you have a plot to post people can give their input.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
If this was an absolute steal I would consider it but would put it into a full bezel setting.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is a bruise concerning, too? I am still a novice. What makes you avoid these inclusions?
I just don't like the word 'bruise" on my diamonds. :lol-2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I would have to evaluate the stone taking everything into consideration. Does it have a lovely faceting pattern with nice light return,
is it at a good/fair price? Are the inclusions on the outside very visible from the top with the type of setting I plan?

If it was a round brilliant stone, then I would pass (because there are plenty of good ones without these inclusions) but its not. Its an old
cut and these kinds of things happen to old stones. I agree with @Garry H (Cut Nut) . An independent evaluation of the stone by someone
who knows old stones would be very helpful. You didn't post the thickness of the diamond girdle. That would be of interest. My concern would
be the possibility of more damage to the girdle.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
My current best stone has an indented natural on a crown facet. It will be hidden by a prong when it is eventually set.

GIA graded it a VS2, but it's very clean.

IMG_0715.jpeg

Just my opinion but with OECs, the appeal is less about perfection and more about character. If you love the stone, perhaps you could choose a setting that protects it. If the stone isn't love at first sight, perhaps there may be another one out there waiting for you?

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
For me, I would have to evaluate the stone taking everything into consideration. Does it have a lovely faceting pattern with nice light return,
is it at a good/fair price? Are the inclusions on the outside very visible from the top with the type of setting I plan?

If it was a round brilliant stone, then I would pass (because there are plenty of good ones without these inclusions) but its not. Its an old
cut and these kinds of things happen to old stones. I agree with @Garry H (Cut Nut) . An independent evaluation of the stone by someone
who knows old stones would be very helpful. You didn't post the thickness of the diamond girdle. That would be of interest. My concern would
be the possibility of more damage to the girdle.

Thanks for your reply! It is listed on the report as “thin to very thin.” I think I will have to pass because it isn’t particularly cheap and I want a solitaire size.

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
My current best stone has an indented natural on a crown facet. It will be hidden by a prong when it is eventually set.

GIA graded it a VS2, but it's very clean.

IMG_0715.jpeg

Just my opinion but with OECs, the appeal is less about perfection and more about character. If you love the stone, perhaps you could choose a setting that protects it. If the stone isn't love at first sight, perhaps there may be another one out there waiting for you?

I agree about the character! I do really want a solitaire, though, and this one might not be the best fit for that style. My jeweler (not the one who sold this stone) was concerned about further damage with the style I wanted and it sounds like maybe he is right!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It you want to set the stone in a solitaire, don't go below thin on the girdle. Thin, medium, and slightly thick are okay.

You are looking at stones with photos and not just grading reports, right?

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
It you want to set the stone in a solitaire, don't go below thin on the girdle. Thin, medium, and slightly thick are okay.

You are looking at stones with photos and not just grading reports, right?

Thanks, this is handy advice for me. Yes, I am actually looking ar stones in hand. My jeweler has a few he let me see a while ago and I had the one in question in this thread sent by Jewels by Grace. I was able to compare it to the one my jeweler had. I definitely am a "need to see in person" buyer. That's why I am not seeking a holy grail necessarily (I feel like that would constitute needing to buy and send back a lot) but I would like to get a nice OEC for a fair price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are choosing by sight and then looking at the reports! It doesn't have to be a holy grail, but don't settle for a stone you don't love! People end up selling the stone later and stones that aren't great are harder to sell.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results