shape
carat
color
clarity

Caution - Shane Co. won''t set diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gonier

Rough_Rock
Just so people are aware, the Shane Co will not set loose diamonds into settings purchased from their store if the diamonds were purchased elsewhere.

Very early on in my ring shopping I decided that I would buy my setting from their company due to the company's reputation and lifetime guarantees. As a result, I shopped for a setting for approximately three months and brought my loose diamond each time I visited the store (which I highly recommend btw). While the sales personal assured me several times that setting the diamond wouldn't be a problem (not to mention free), after purchasing the setting the store manager said that they wouldn't do it as the store doesn't carry its own insurance. Even after I showed proof of insurance to the manager, they still wouldn't do the work as they "didn't feel comfortable" working with an outside diamond. The Shane Co. later explained that their employees were mis-trained and the topic would be addressed in the future. Regardless, the end result is that all of the guarantees they advertise no longer apply and I had to pay $80 for an outside source to set the diamond.

I know a lot of people here are purchasing loose diamonds, so I'd highly recommend a bit of extra caution when you're shopping for the setting.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your experience is unusual. Most retailers jump at the chance to profit from setting a diamond into a mounting they have sold to you. There is so little chance of damaging most diamonds that stores normally accept this responsibility. Your insurance will not generally cover this type of damage done by a tradeshop. Howver, the tradeshop usually accepts responsibility for diamonds, not for colored gems.

I think Chubb might be the exception to this as they are a very fine and uniques insurance company. They may cover all hazards, but believe me, you'll pay for it in premium costs.

We set people's diamonds into mountings all the time and don't lose any sleep over it. Once in a while some little problem arises, but we have never had any serious problem with setting any diamond.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
You could have returned the setting, then bought the same one online for much less and then paid someone $80 to set it and still have been ahead. And tell the store that 1/2 of the purpose of buying a setting from them at full price was their service, such as their service of setting a diamond.

I am signed up for a jewelry making class and plan to set my diamond in the class with the instructor's guidance.

Gonier

Rough_Rock
Thanks Oldminer for the comments! The local jeweler which I took the setting and diamond to jumped at the chance to do the work and, to my untrained eye at least, did a beautiful job. I wasn’t aware that the insurance might not cover damage done by a tradeshop. In a nut shell, the insurance states that they’ll replace the diamond if it’s stolen or broken, except in cases of war or a nuclear explosion (no joke, a flyer went out soon after Sept 11th, 2001 mentioning this). Right not the ring is attached as a rider onto my renter’s insurance, but it sounds like I should seriously consider independent insurance. I’ll have to throw out a few scenarios to the agent to see exactly what is and is not covered. I’ll be sure to check Chubb out. Thanks!

Rsilvers> I seriously considered returning the ring, but in all honesty it took me three months to finally find the ‘perfect setting’ and I wasn’t too keen on starting the whole process over again. I always knew what my fiancée wanted – it was simply a matter of finding it in physical form. I wish you the best of luck with your ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results