shape
carat
color
clarity

Caught smuggling 11000 carats into U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone see these crooks at the Tucson Gem show? Conflict diamonds?

TUCSON, Ariz. - Federal agents have arrested two men on charges they smuggled diamonds into the country in violation of a law intended to prevent cash from being funneled to warring areas in Africa, officials said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17053202/

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t hear anything about it, but I was so busy, I could have missed it easily.

During the meeting, he told the agents the diamonds were brought into the U.S. illegally and that he was expecting another shipment.
Not the brightest thing to be doing, if you ask me...
20.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2007 12:52:49 AM
Author:whatmeworry

Anyone see these crooks at the Tucson Gem show? Conflict diamonds?

TUCSON, Ariz. - Federal agents have arrested two men on charges they smuggled diamonds into the country in violation of a law intended to prevent cash from being funneled to warring areas in Africa, officials said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17053202/
It clearly shows and is evidence to a fact that Industry members care about the fact that "conflict Diamonds" should stay away from reaching jewels that is aimed towards the consumers.

I understand that if it was not for some HONEST dealers..., these Diamonds would have mixed in with all the rest of the diamonds that go towards the jewelry!!!!

fatkid

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:04:12 AM
Author: DiaGem
It clearly shows and is evidence to a fact that Industry members care about the fact that 'conflict Diamonds' should stay away from reaching jewels that is aimed towards the consumers.

I understand that if it was not for some HONEST dealers..., these Diamonds would have mixed in with all the rest of the diamonds that go towards the jewelry!!!!

How does it _clearly_ show that in the article?

The smugglers were caught by "undercover Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents posing as gem buyers."

-r.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Going out - have not read it yet - but cash dealings and smuggling were the norm to avoid taxes etc before 2 things:

1. Sept 11
2. the Kimberely Process for conflict diamonds.

Now ''hot'' diamonds are worth less than the taxes (which as import duties have fallen to Zero in most nations) that smuggelrs are avoiding.

One can only assume anyone doing this is trading in black under the table money.
And they desrve to be locked up because of all the other nasty stuff that is usually associated with such $$$''s

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:37:21 AM
Author: fatkid

The smugglers were caught by ''undercover Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents posing as gem buyers.''

-r.
It''s clear, because it''s obvious someone tipped off the feds. In all likelihood, these guys went to Tucson hoping to unload the diamonds, and in attempting to trade them under the table, raised enough suspicions that one of their prospective customers called the FBI. Otherwise, the agents would never have known about it in the first place.

fatkid

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 11:23:17 AM
Author: CaptAubrey
Date: 2/9/2007 2:37:21 AM

The smugglers were caught by 'undercover Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents posing as gem buyers.'

-r.

It's clear, because it's obvious someone tipped off the feds. In all likelihood, these guys went to Tucson hoping to unload the diamonds, and in attempting to trade them under the table, raised enough suspicions that one of their prospective customers called the FBI. Otherwise, the agents would never have known about it in the first place.

That could perfectly be true, but your suggestion stills involve a bit of leap/assumption that is never stated in that article. And reading from the ICE news release it's more plausible they were caught under an ongoing sting of gem shows/venues...

From the ICE gov news release:

"Saoud came under suspicion after he told ICE undercover agents who approached him at one of the venues of the Tucson Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Showcase that he had uncut diamonds for sale"
- http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/070208tucson.htm

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:36:32 PM

That could perfectly be true, but your suggestion stills involve a bit of leap/assumption that is never stated in that article. And reading from the ICE news release it''s more plausible they were caught under an ongoing sting of gem shows/venues...

From the ICE gov news release:

''Saoud came under suspicion after he told ICE undercover agents who approached him at one of the venues of the Tucson Gem, Mineral, and Fossil Showcase that he had uncut diamonds for sale''
- http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/070208tucson.htm
If you''ve ever been to the Tucson shows, you would understand that the likelihood of these agents just happening upon him is nil. There are so many buyers and vendors in town during February that he could never have been caught, sting or no sting, unless someone who had previously dealt with him pointed the agents in his direction.

fatkid

Rough_Rock
that falls against the logic of having a show for sellers and buyers/vendors.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
I assumed this was the culmination of a substantial, ongoing investigation. Federal law enforcement usually takes its time to make a case after learning of some criminal enterprise going on. Often they''ll sit back for years and watch people smuggle, deal dope, kill people, whatever, until they have what they believe to be an air-tight case.

If you look at the article, they had a U.S. customs guy making an undercover purchase. That''s not something you come up with and execute on the fly. My guess is the following quote, from the article, incorrectly conflates the timeline...

"Saoud came under suspicion after he told undercover agents at a gem show in Tucson that he had uncut diamonds for sale, according to an ICE statement. They met with him at his motel and bought a stone on Saturday. During the meeting, he told the agents the diamonds were brought into the U.S. illegally and that he was expecting another shipment."

fatkid

Rough_Rock
i''m totally with you on that. it could have been a long drawn out and thorough investigation rather than a fortunate coincidence.

what originally striked me into posting on this discussion was the _assumption_ that it was an _honest_ player in the diamond industry who cares about conflict diamonds that led to the capture...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results