Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Cats like Advil....!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,847
DH has back pain, and usually sets out a few Advils on the kitchen table before bed, cause he is always up sometime during the night with pain.
This morning, he found one on the floor with the coating licked off.
Naturally, we know who the culprit was---Miso the curious cat.
I'm not surprised that the thing wasn't eaten, because I'm sure they are bitter tasting.
But, of course, I'm glad that Miso didn't consume the pill.
I am surprised he did this. I never thought that cats would be attracted to aspirin or pills.
I just wanted to let everyone know.
We want all our fur babies to stay safe!

1473431709291-165390740.jpg

img_20160909_083726373.jpg
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,383
I think Advil brand has a sugar coating, while generic ones usually don't. Miso probably licked off the sugar coating! Glad he didn't ingest the balance of the pill!
 

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
2,734
Thanks for the warning! Thats scary how close Miso came to eating the Advil. That would be a huge dose for a little body. Just last night, before going to bed I had a headache and took 2 advil. I dropped one in the dark kitchen and could not find it right away and just went to bed thinking I would find it in the morning. I thought that since my kids are not little anymore so no big deal. This morning I stepped on it and threw it out. I didn't occur to my that one of my kitties might find it!

The big thing in my house that I worry about with my kitties is that my 2 daughers and I having long hair is pony tail holders. My cats love them and put them in their mouths and play with them. I mentioned to their vet one time and she told me she has performed several emergency surgeries for intestinal blockages from pony tail holders! And the can get twisted and suffocate the bowels. Scary! So my rule with my daughters now is if I find a pony tail laying around, I confiscate it and they have to buy it back from me :) It definitely cuts down on them leaving them laying around.

Living with animals is like having a permanent toddler around that can choke on hazards!
 

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,847
asscherisme|1473433881|4074587 said:
Thanks for the warning! Thats scary how close Miso came to eating the Advil. That would be a huge dose for a little body. Just last night, before going to bed I had a headache and took 2 advil. I dropped one in the dark kitchen and could not find it right away and just went to bed thinking I would find it in the morning. I thought that since my kids are not little anymore so no big deal. This morning I stepped on it and threw it out. I didn't occur to my that one of my kitties might find it!

The big thing in my house that I worry about with my kitties is that my 2 daughers and I having long hair is pony tail holders. My cats love them and put them in their mouths and play with them. I mentioned to their vet one time and she told me she has performed several emergency surgeries for intestinal blockages from pony tail holders! And the can get twisted and suffocate the bowels. Scary! So my rule with my daughters now is if I find a pony tail laying around, I confiscate it and they have to buy it back from me :) It definitely cuts down on them leaving them laying around.

Living with animals is like having a permanent toddler around that can choke on hazards!
Along these same lines, Miso also loves rubber bands.
Everyday we get one with the newspaper, and have to get rid of it real quick, or else it ends up in the cat's mouth!
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
asscherisme|1473433881|4074587 said:
The big thing in my house that I worry about with my kitties is that my 2 daughers and I having long hair is pony tail holders. My cats love them and put them in their mouths and play with them. I mentioned to their vet one time and she told me she has performed several emergency surgeries for intestinal blockages from pony tail holders! And the can get twisted and suffocate the bowels. Scary! So my rule with my daughters now is if I find a pony tail laying around, I confiscate it and they have to buy it back from me :) It definitely cuts down on them leaving them laying around.

Living with animals is like having a permanent toddler around that can choke on hazards!
Yes to all of the above, asscherisme.

I absolutely cannot leave out any pony tail holders, elastics, etc. My boy kittie would swallow it whole.

I actually can't leave out ANY fabric, either. No socks, jackets, t-shirts, rags - he *will* eat them.

Lately, he eats paper towels and plastic bags, too.

We have baby locks on some of our cabinets, because he learned to open them.

I'm so glad Miso is OK stracci! Thanks for the warning.
 

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
2,734
stracci2000|1473436369|4074596 said:
asscherisme|1473433881|4074587 said:
Thanks for the warning! Thats scary how close Miso came to eating the Advil. That would be a huge dose for a little body. Just last night, before going to bed I had a headache and took 2 advil. I dropped one in the dark kitchen and could not find it right away and just went to bed thinking I would find it in the morning. I thought that since my kids are not little anymore so no big deal. This morning I stepped on it and threw it out. I didn't occur to my that one of my kitties might find it!

The big thing in my house that I worry about with my kitties is that my 2 daughers and I having long hair is pony tail holders. My cats love them and put them in their mouths and play with them. I mentioned to their vet one time and she told me she has performed several emergency surgeries for intestinal blockages from pony tail holders! And the can get twisted and suffocate the bowels. Scary! So my rule with my daughters now is if I find a pony tail laying around, I confiscate it and they have to buy it back from me :) It definitely cuts down on them leaving them laying around.

Living with animals is like having a permanent toddler around that can choke on hazards!
Along these same lines, Miso also loves rubber bands.
Everyday we get one with the newspaper, and have to get rid of it real quick, or else it ends up in the cat's mouth!
Yup, rubber bands are a problem too. And anything wrapped in plastic film. My cats like the plastic film.
 

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
2,734
CJ2008|1473436392|4074597 said:
asscherisme|1473433881|4074587 said:
The big thing in my house that I worry about with my kitties is that my 2 daughers and I having long hair is pony tail holders. My cats love them and put them in their mouths and play with them. I mentioned to their vet one time and she told me she has performed several emergency surgeries for intestinal blockages from pony tail holders! And the can get twisted and suffocate the bowels. Scary! So my rule with my daughters now is if I find a pony tail laying around, I confiscate it and they have to buy it back from me :) It definitely cuts down on them leaving them laying around.

Living with animals is like having a permanent toddler around that can choke on hazards!
Yes to all of the above, asscherisme.

I absolutely cannot leave out any pony tail holders, elastics, etc. My boy kittie would swallow it whole.

I actually can't leave out ANY fabric, either. No socks, jackets, t-shirts, rags - he *will* eat them.

Lately, he eats paper towels and plastic bags, too.

We have baby locks on some of our cabinets, because he learned to open them.

I'm so glad Miso is OK stracci! Thanks for the warning.
One of my cats has decided in the past year or so that kleenex makes a delicious snack. Along with post it notes and other paper. I can't leave kleenex out because she views it as a snack dispenser. And if I leave paper out there are often little bite marks of pieces missing. Its a problem with teenagers and homework! My kids have literally turned in homework with corners chewed off because the cat ate it.

I grew up with dogs. I got my cats as kittens 6 years ago and never realized that cats cause as much mischief or more than dogs! But I would not give them up for anything. They are family :)
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
34,068
asscherisme|1473480799|4074787 said:
stracci2000|1473436369|4074596 said:
asscherisme|1473433881|4074587 said:
Thanks for the warning! Thats scary how close Miso came to eating the Advil. That would be a huge dose for a little body. Just last night, before going to bed I had a headache and took 2 advil. I dropped one in the dark kitchen and could not find it right away and just went to bed thinking I would find it in the morning. I thought that since my kids are not little anymore so no big deal. This morning I stepped on it and threw it out. I didn't occur to my that one of my kitties might find it!

The big thing in my house that I worry about with my kitties is that my 2 daughers and I having long hair is pony tail holders. My cats love them and put them in their mouths and play with them. I mentioned to their vet one time and she told me she has performed several emergency surgeries for intestinal blockages from pony tail holders! And the can get twisted and suffocate the bowels. Scary! So my rule with my daughters now is if I find a pony tail laying around, I confiscate it and they have to buy it back from me :) It definitely cuts down on them leaving them laying around.

Living with animals is like having a permanent toddler around that can choke on hazards!
Along these same lines, Miso also loves rubber bands.
Everyday we get one with the newspaper, and have to get rid of it real quick, or else it ends up in the cat's mouth!
Yup, rubber bands are a problem too. And anything wrapped in plastic film. My cats like the plastic film.
Huge ditto with my 4 kitties too. And I have learned a lot having my kitties and sadly they have gone through some stuff because we were careless. The one major experience that comes to mind is when we thought Bobby had ingested some Christmas decoration with string and he had to have exploratory surgery New Year's Day. Poor baby and thank goodness he hadn't swallowed any string but still because of our carelessness we caused him to have an unnecessary surgery. :blackeye:

And Francesca well she just has to chew on everything and she broke one of her teeth a few years ago and needed dental surgery involving general anesthesia. I cannot break her of the habit of chewing on everything and anything so I just try to keep everything that is dangerous to her teeth out of her way but she manages to find things still. Sigh.

And then there's our Tommy who broke his tail in 2010 jumping from the top of the TV to the stereo speaker and it fell catching his tail. Yeah that was a very traumatic experience for him and for us. Thankfully we were able to get him the care he needed and his tail was saved but it was touch and go on if the tail would be able to be saved for a few months if memory serves me correctly because the veterinarians just didn't know for sure. He is A-OK now and none the worse for that experience thankfully. Sometimes I think thank goodness I don't have human children because goodness knows what would happen since I seem to mess up so often with our fur babies. :blackeye:

Yes we keep all rubber bands, hair ties, string, sewing material, any household chemicals, plastic, bags, etc out of the cats way. It is amazing how they can easily get into trouble the mischievous little stinkers. :errrr:

Though I do learn from each experience and appreciate you sharing this Stracci. And I am so relieved and glad Miso is OK! :appl:


Adding a photo of Tommy while his broken tail was mending. It was in a cast and the veterinarians had him wear this so he wouldn't play around with his tail and the cast. Poor sweet baby. After a few days I just couldn't take it anymore because he was so miserable with that cone on and I took it off and he left his tail alone. I was carefully watching him to make sure he would. LOVE all our furbabies so much!!!

tommy_s_cone_of_2.jpg
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    5 Diamond Misconceptions: Part 1
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top