shape
carat
color
clarity

Cathedral vs. Tiffany setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curlsdc

Rough_Rock
I am trying to decide between a cathedral vs. a tiffany(blue nile version) setting for a 1 ct princess solitaire. Which one makes the diamond look bigger? WHich one is higher up? Any advice? Thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you link the settings please?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I know both settings - I would do the Tiffany style - not the cathedral. The tiffany prong style will make your stone look bigger.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need a link to the cathedral you are looking at. You are on the right track with the idea that the one that sticks up the furthest
will look bigger. I went through this same thing with a 5 stone ring (I''ll include a pick). They were basically the same size (.81 and .82 ctw)
but the one setting was really low to my finger and the stones didnt have as much of an impact as the other setting where the stones
set up a little from my finger. See the pic...by the way...I have a cathedral setting (with a pear). I''ll include a side shot of that too.

So get us a link to the other setting so we can see a difference. I''ve also included a top view of my ring so you can see what the
cathedral looks like from that view. The pear is 1.08. Ok...TMI
3.gif
but I just wanted to say that I think you are on the right track.
The higher up it is the bigger it will look IMO.

smller3932.jpg

sml3951.jpg

sml3984.jpg

swl

Shiny_Rock
Hi tyty, do you mind to share the height of the higher 5 stone band? do you think there is a difference in diamond appearance when the band is thinner in case of a 5 stone ring (if most of the ring will be inside the hand)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi swl,
The height on the higher 5 stone is about 4.7mm. The lower one is about 2.4mm. I think the thickness of the bands (of both 5 stones) was
dictated by the diamerter of the diamonds (for the widest part of the ring). I dont think the other part really matters because it is not visible
from the top (or sides either for that matter). I hope I answered your question.

tyty

3Rocks

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/14/2009 2:48:08 PM
Author: tyty333
Hi swl,
The height on the higher 5 stone is about 4.7mm. The lower one is about 2.4mm. I think the thickness of the bands (of both 5 stones) was
dictated by the diamerter of the diamonds (for the widest part of the ring). I dont think the other part really matters because it is not visible
from the top (or sides either for that matter). I hope I answered your question.

tyty
Oh my!!!! How could you be so lucky with all those bling???
3.gif

swl

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the reply tyty! do you think 1 mm of difference in height will make a difference? on the bluenile site, they offer a 2mm and a 3mm setting. i am thinking of a 1.8- 2 ctw 5 stone ring, not sure which setting will the diamonds look bigger or not...

curlsdc

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone:

Thanks for the replies...very helpful. Below are the links to the settings on blue nile. Although I was really set on the tiffany I am really now leaning towards the cathedral, it seems to hold ring higher...would like to know your thoughts. I just wish they had the cathedral in the 2mm setting, I like think settings. Here are the links:

cathedral: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-white-gold_4122?filter_id=1&collection_id=234

tiffany style: http://www.bluenile.com/solitaire-diamond-engagement-ring-setting_3074?filter_id=1&collection_id=234

swl

Shiny_Rock
i like the cathedral more, it''s more delicate and more unified. The tiffany style is just a head and a ring, doesn''t look as unified and the lines seem harsh.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi swl,
Are you sure you are talking height from your finger to top of the diamonds or are you talking about the width of the band? Can you
provide me with links to the bluenile settings so I can make sure we are talking about the same thing.

tyty

Hi 3Rocks,
I dont own the 5 stone with the lower setting. I had ordered it thinking it was what I wanted and then when I got it I was some what
underwhelmed by it (the setting - not the stones). I found the other 5 stone ring at a local family jeweler and knew it was what I wanted.
(so I had 2 rings until I sent the one back the next day). I got the 5 stone for my 10 year anniversary so I wont be seeing anymore
bling for atleast 5 more years!
39.gif
(maybe I''ll be able to get some baby bling in the mean time though - a girl can only hope)
36.gif

tyty

swl

Shiny_Rock
Hi tyty, I am sorry I wasn't clear. I mean the height from the top of the ring to your finger :)

swl

Shiny_Rock
this is the 3mm in height with a 2.2mm band width

DR90400200_prof.jpg

swl

Shiny_Rock
this is the 2 mm in height with a 3mm band

DR15400100_prof.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results