shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat hanging around my house...d/k what to do

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, what a cutie kitty!
You are wonderful to take her in...at least she is safe.
I hope that she finds her way home or to a new family that will love her.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 10:28:12 PM
Author: lulu
I think her priority is bonding with you so you''ll take care of her. That''s what her behavior means to me.
I quite agree!
face23.gif
Poor little soul has found some love and protection and she is basking in it!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Awe...poor little girl
7.gif
. It breaks my heart when an animal is just running loose...all the sad, horrible things that could happen to it just break my heart.

You absolutely, 100% did the right thing by bringing her in and keeping her safe. That''s all she wanted, which is why she let you--a stranger--pick her up...she was tired of being scared, hungry and thirsty. Bless your heart, seriously.

I hope you can find her proper home (if her getting out was an accident) or find her a new forever-home.

Please keep us updated.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the encouragement.

I just came back from the vet...she's microchipped. Two contact #s, first # disconnected...the vet's office left a message at the 2nd #.

(as a side note, I forgot to ask them to check if it's a boy or a girl aaarggggghhh)

I am happy, but I'm actually more scared than happy. What if they're not good people? What if they let her out routinely, even though she has no front claws?

I know if it's their animal and they want her back there's nothing I can do about it, but I'm scared...

For some reason I was really hesitant to ask the vet's office for the contact information/name - do I have a right to or is that like breaching some kind of privacy? The girl had taken down the info. and left it on the counter, I wanted to take it down when she walked away but I am so chicken. I don't know what I plan on doing with the information - maybe some "investigative" work although I'm not sure what I could find out...is this crazy?

ETA: the owner just called me...I'm sorry, but he sounds like an idiot. Didn't seem worried at all, he said she a "escape artist." Said she gets out often but comes back right away this time she got out at night...my mind starting racing at this point so I don't know the whole deal but he said they've been on vacation FOR A WEEK. I am really, really upset at the thought of this sweet cat going back to these idiots.
15.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t say this before, but once I heard the owner something told me not to let them come by and pick her up right away...so I made an excuse that I was going out and told him I would call him later.

Then I called the girl from the vet''s office...

She said before that when she spoke to the owner, she spoke to a woman, who told her it was really hard to keep the cat in the house because the kids keep opening the door, etc.

She told me that she got the feeling they did not want the cat any more - she said she did tell the woman that if they no longer wanted the cat that the person who found her was willing to find her a home/keep it...that she would call me and let me know. But the woman said something to the effect that they''ll just to me themselves...

I was thinking of calling them and asking them if they really do want the cat back...but I feel like I gotta walk a fine line because if they get offended they may want to take her just because they feel I should mind my own business or something...but I''ve gotta try to do something...any ideas/advice on what to say?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Two words:
1.) cayenne
2.) pepper...
6.gif
3.gif

Kidding of course.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 4:53:43 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Two words:
1.) cayenne
2.) pepper...
6.gif
3.gif

Kidding of course.
?

I don''t get it?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*bump* (totally obnoxious bump since I only posted this like an hour ago, but I would really love some support/ideas what to say to this guy)

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
CJ, it was so wonderful of you to take in that sweet kitty, bless your heart!!!
1.gif

As far as returning her to the owner, I would be hesitant as well... my idea would be to have the vet''s office try to talk to the owner instead of you directly telling them that you are willing to keep the kitty and find it a good home.
I know the vets office already did that the first time, however you can say you lost the owners contact info and try to get them to call the owners again.

What a sticky situation... keep us updated.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 5:02:17 PM
Author: CJ2008
?

I don't get it?
Oh, when cats come prowling around a home and use your garden as a litter box, its good to put down cayenne pepper because then they wont come around and use the garden as a litter box anymore. As I said, I was joking of course...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just talked to him...

It went well in the sense that he didn''t get pissed off...and I really tried to plead to his sense of doing the right thing for the cat (her name is Lola, by the way). I told him several times during the conversation that she''s defenseless without her claws...and that I understand it''s hard to keep her from escaping with kids at home but that one day she''s not going to come back...I also told him how she''s extremely friendly and she was lucky that it was me she ran into...

He said they had not considered giving her up for adoption and that Lola really gets along with their son and with their other cat...and how she''s an indoor cat 99% of the time...so I don''t know what they''re going to decide...but hopefully at least I''ve planted some seeds. I told them to think about it overnight so hopefully it''ll buy me some time for another plan if there can be another plan...

It took all I had to not yell at him and say HOW DO YOU LEAVE HER ALONE FOR A WEEK??? SHE''S GOING TO GET KILLED ONE DAY.

Have I done all I can, guys? My heart is beating so fast...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you''ve done good!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You absolutely have done all you can honey. Absolutely. And so much more than many other''s would have, especially once the owner of Lola (cute name, it fits her) was found. I''m so proud of how you handled this, and so impressed by you. You are just wonderful. And you''ve given them an option to think about if she isn''t wanted.

Some cats are escape artists. Of course, some basic precautions can minimize their success greatly (like telling your kids that the cat is declawed and what that means exactly and making sure they are responsible about her).

Please keep us updated and let us know if anything else develops and honey....

(((HUGE HUGS))) for being so wonderful.
biggyhug.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I'm evil this way, but my vote is that if they really are as irresponsible as they seem, and you honestly feel she is in danger there (I would agree with you if you did), then I'd just tell them she "escaped" again - after all, she is an escape artist, and how would they ever know? Like I said though, I'm evil like that
11.gif

Either way though, ditto Gypsy - thank you so much for being such a wonderful and compassionate person about this, its already so much more than most people would have ever done.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are sweet - but I know each and every one of you would have done the exact same thing.

AG, so you''re as evil as my husband - that is EXACTLY what he said I should do.

Anyway - they left a message...the want Lola back...so I''m giving her back to them - I wanted to do it tonight just to get it overwith but DH says I should just do it tomorrow since I don''t know what them coming over might bring as far as their demeanor/stress, etc...

Hopefully I have made them think long and hard about her getting out...

I will miss her.
7.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 6:49:40 PM

?

I don't get it?
Oh, when cats come prowling around a home and use your garden as a litter box, its good to put down cayenne pepper because then they wont come around and use the garden as a litter box anymore. As I said, I was joking of course...
DG, I know you said you were joking but... for anyone who reads this in passing and thinks its a viable solution...

Chili powder, red crushed pepper, cayenne pepper gets on the cat's paws then they wash themselves and they get it in their eyes, cats have literally scratched their eyes out because of this. Even if it's one cat out of 500 infected in this way, that's one too many for me.

It's actually a very cruel practice and definitely not funny, even as a joke.
38.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:22:22 PM
You guys are sweet - but I know each and every one of you would have done the exact same thing.

AG, so you''re as evil as my husband - that is EXACTLY what he said I should do.

Anyway - they left a message...the want Lola back...so I''m giving her back to them - I wanted to do it tonight just to get it overwith but DH says I should just do it tomorrow since I don''t know what them coming over might bring as far as their demeanor/stress, etc...

I will miss her.
7.gif
It''s so easy to lose your heart to them isn''t it?

If she ever does find her way back. I''d keep her. Seriously.

((MORE HUGS)).

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
CJ you were good to to take her in...

Some cats are little Houdini''s...and will escape...one of my little furballs scaled the wallpaper (bamboo) and got into the ceiling once...we were having ductwork done...it was fun getting him out

The owners did go to the trouble to have her microchipped...which is a good thing

I am sure the cat and the owners appreciate what you did

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 8:23:49 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 3/16/2009 6:49:40 PM

?

I don''t get it?
DG, I know you said you were joking but... for anyone who reads this in passing and thinks its a viable solution...

Chili powder, red crushed pepper, cayenne pepper gets on the cat''s paws then they wash themselves and they get it in their eyes, cats have literally scratched their eyes out because of this. Even if it''s one cat out of 500 infected in this way, that''s one too many for me.

It''s actually a very cruel practice and definitely not funny, even as a joke.
38.gif
Thank you for taking the time to address this...I didn''t know what it meant or what it actually does to cat. And you''re right, someone might read this and think "oh, I can do that" because a cat has been hanging around and they want to get rid of it. It''s never a waste of time to educate because sometimes people really don''t realize what the consequences are...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 8:25:08 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 3/16/2009 8:22:22 PM

I will miss her.
7.gif
It''s so easy to lose your heart to them isn''t it?

If she ever does find her way back. I''d keep her. Seriously.

((MORE HUGS)).
I wouldn''t think twice about it - DH and I were just talking about that earlier.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2009 8:34:34 PM
Author: diane5006
CJ you were good to to take her in...

Some cats are little Houdini's...and will escape...one of my little furballs scaled the wallpaper (bamboo) and got into the ceiling once...we were having ductwork done...it was fun getting him out

The owners did go to the trouble to have her microchipped...which is a good thing

I am sure the cat and the owners appreciate what you did
Diane, absolutely...I DO think it's a fairly good sign that they had her microchipped. But when I took her in I asked the girl at the vet and she said she's had situations where she's located the person that is listed for the microchip and they'll actually hang up on her...she said a lot of pets are simply abandoned.

And I think it's totally different to lose a cat like you did. Not to say we don't all make mistakes. I lost my cat once too, many, many years ago - I was talking to a friend of mine at the door, with the door barely ajar and he got out without either one of us noticing. We found him two days later inside a neighbor's garage. So I know things happen even to the most loving cat owners - but since then I have been so extremely careful - I take no chances. Could it still happen? Sure. Would I leave on vacation for a week if I knew my cat was lost/gone? NO WAY. And that's with claws front and back (which mine has)...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Give them a note card with your name, multiple numbers and address...let them know that if, for whatever reason, they feel that they can no longer care for or want the cat that you''d be willing to take her--no questions asked, and that you''d come at any time day or night to collect her.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 10:11:08 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Give them a note card with your name, multiple numbers and address...let them know that if, for whatever reason, they feel that they can no longer care for or want the cat that you''d be willing to take her--no questions asked, and that you''d come at any time day or night to collect her.

Ditto - you never know, and it would be better than worrying that they might get lazy and drop her at a shelter if they change their minds someday.

I''m with you though - my kitties are like my kids, I could NEVER go on vacation if there was anything wrong/to worry about with any of them...I''m so sorry they are taking Lola back - I''m sure she appreciates the shelter and food you so generously gave her though - you may have saved her!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Last year we came back from vacation two days early because the housesitter accidentally let one of the cats out and couldn''t find her. I could never leave if one of the kids was missing.
Years ago our neighbors had a barn kitten who broke its leg. They didn''t want to pay a vet so they "set" the bone themselves.
I went to the barn that night, took him, had him doctored and found him a new home. I felt no guilt whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results