shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier ring sizing, one last question

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
So, I'm getting my Cartier ring in early January! Yeah!

I have to choose a size. I'm interested in any advice. I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm just kind of winging it. I live on an island without a Cartier boutique.

So, I found this website conversion chart.

http://www.soldering-on.co.uk/site/pages/other/ring_size_information.htm

This is a little hard to read because the numbers running across the page left to right transpose as top to bottom when you cut and paste (sorry).

17.75-----------------diameter in mm

P

56 1/2---------------------- French size

17 3/4

16 1/2

7 1/2 ---------------------- US size

Ok, so when you go to Cartier's website, you get this:

There is a size 55, 56, and 57. There's no mention of a size 56 1/2.

Size 56 is listed at 17.83 diameter in mm
Size 55 is listed at 17.52 diameter in mm

I ordered the eweddingbands ring sizers and chose US 7.5. I don't know if it was the perfect size. But 8 fell off my finger and 7 was too tight.

Ok, so putting all of this information together, I'm guessing that I should order size 56.

Does anyone agree? Disagree? Have any other suggestion?

Thanks!!

luxist

Rough_Rock
I take it that you're ordering over the phone and not in person? I think you should order your ring size and let them convert it for you, just to make sure. In the store, they measure your ring size with one of those things with all the different rings and then just convert it to the metric.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
There isn't going to be an exact conversion though, is there?

I talked to an SA a few months ago who wasn't helpful about sizing. I don't remember what she said but she wasn't willing to offer a conversion from a US size. I remember that much.

I don't think it matter much because if the size doesn't work it can be exchanged.

luxist

Rough_Rock
I don't know if there's an exact conversion but I'm sure it's close. My SA sized me and we had to have my engagement ring custom made. My wedding band is also from there and I decided to keep it a 4.5 (I'm about a 4.25). I guess that's a 48 in the French sizing from the inscriptions. You're right though, you can always exchange it or get it resized! And they will always size you before you make your purchase. Congrats on your ring and cant wait to see photos!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Is it the same width as your other rings? That could change the fit. I always wondered about their rolling rings, I've read the nature of the design makes it tough to get the fit feeling right. What design are you getting?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
luxist|1293424186|2806734 said:
I don't know if there's an exact conversion but I'm sure it's close. My SA sized me and we had to have my engagement ring custom made. My wedding band is also from there and I decided to keep it a 4.5 (I'm about a 4.25). I guess that's a 48 in the French sizing from the inscriptions. You're right though, you can always exchange it or get it resized! And they will always size you before you make your purchase. Congrats on your ring and cant wait to see photos!

Thanks!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so my thinking on this was off. If the ring conversion chart I printed is correct and Cartier doesn't have a size 56 1/2, it makes sense (to get a US size 7.5) to go up, not down, and that gets me to 57.

I printed the Cartier ring sizer (although I don't know how accurate a cut out piece of paper is- it was kind of a mess) and measured my size as 58.

So I have to order 57 or 58.

But which one?

:confused:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Ok, scratch that. US 7 1/2 is 17.75 and Cartier size 56 is .08 more. The other choice is Cartier size 55 and that is - .23.

So the right choice has to be 56.

Thanks, everyone.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Nice and quiet over here, huh?

So did you get the ring? Like it?

i think it's a beauty. :appl:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, I decided not to get it now because I have to move (and it's going to cost me almost $3,000).

Sigh.

At least now I know the size.

Thanks! It's nice, classic, etc., it should be on my finger!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think it will come around to you in the future. Something with a Cartier logo, something even nicer! :appl:

I have a little sterling silver basket, made of woven strips of silver, it's Cartier. I have no idea what it was for, but I suspect a really expensive easter treat or for nuts? I got it in an antique store years ago, it was expensive for the time, about $150 in the early '80's. But I couldn't resist that little script logo. :rolleyes:

Did you end up getting something for your mom's retirement?

If it were me, I'd love flowers each month, that would be awesome. But not a club, since they tend to chintz on a couple of the months. Maybe six months of $30 bouquets? She'd talk about that for years. Or have Costco.com send her one of their bulk pack of roses. I ordered six dozen red roses once, for my MIL when she was alive. She loved it. I think it was $100 from Sam's Club website (back when Sam's was decent). But that's me, not everybody likes flowers.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No, her retirement is coming up. I don't exactly when. I can't wait. She's worked so hard for so long. She has a broken hip and she has to push wheelchair up ramps. She's got to get the right number of years, but I think it's soon.

I'd rather move than spend money on a ring (it's not an expensive ring, he'll get it soon!). I can't stand being away from him much longer. We've had two days together in six months. It was great and it made me realize I don't care about anything else more than being reunited.

He misses our cat and she misses him too.

The flowers are a nice idea. I'll keep that in mind!

(And I am grateful that I know the size of the ring now. It took some research. French sizes don't equate exactly to US sizes and it can be confusing, so at least I learned that).

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1294207103|2814716 said:
No, her retirement is coming up. I don't exactly when. I can't wait. She's worked so hard for so long. She has a broken hip and she has to push wheelchair up ramps. She's got to get the right number of years, but I think it's soon.

I'd rather move than spend money on a ring (it's not an expensive ring, he'll get it soon!). I can't stand being away from him much longer. We've had two days together in six months. It was great and it made me realize I don't care about anything else more than being reunited.

He misses our cat and she misses him too.

The flowers are a nice idea. I'll keep that in mind!

(And I am grateful that I know the size of the ring now. It took some research. French sizes don't equate exactly to US sizes and it can be confusing, so at least I learned that).

Your mom sounds like a great lady, and she loves you a lot, I know. She is VERY lucky to have a son like you! Tell her I said so! :praise:

Yes, jewelry is pretty secondary to being with the one you love, totally agree. This must be really hard for you . . . :((

I went through a battle with foreign sizing when I ordered some shoes, for DH, from New & Lingwood in London. I wasn't as persistent as you, I finally had to just call them.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander, it is difficult for us, but we know why we are making this sacrifice, because it was necessary, and the best thing for our lives, so, other than some, I'll admit, relatively minor bouts of depression, in the beginning, and lasting no longer than a day, I've been able to hold down the fort here, and take care of myself and the cat, and withstand the loneliness.

I wouldn't say it's been easy, but when you're a little older as I am, you definitely look at things more maturely, and this makes everything easier.

I'll tell my mother you said that! You're too kind! My mother is a beautiful woman who has worked very hard for a very long time. I love her and miss her very much.

You know what she sent me and my SO for Christmas? Two Peanuts cards, Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, and a Snoopy book that has pictures of all the peanuts characters that you press and they talk. It was something about the story and true meaning of Christmas. I haven't read it yet, because by the time it arrived, SO had left, and when I opened my mother's package and saw what it was, I just started crying. I wanted SO to be there to see it so badly. He loves Peanuts. He and I both do. I called her right then and told her how much it meant to me.

I've already told her about you, actually. I told her about your thread about the funniest gifts and how I posted about the Murky Dismal doll.

This moving thing after six years isn't easy for me. It isn't ever easy, moving. I don't like it. She's very understanding. I think she knows it hasn't been easy for either of us. I'll tell her about the good word you put in for me. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Happy New Year! :wavey:

Danny

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Danny, good wishes for the move. I agree with you, moving is a stress level right up there with death & divorce. The very ickiest pits. Does SO have a place you are moving into, or are you going somewhere new together? At least once it's done, it's done & you'll be so glad you did it. But you know that! DH & I had a commuter marriage for a year, with me on one coast & him on the other. Saw each other about 3 times for no more than a day each. It's no fun. Congratulations to you on making the decision & going for it!

And I second iLander about you as a son. You got one lucky mom!

Keep us up on your move & how it's going. Will be thinking of you.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Laurie, thanks so much for your kind words! SO is getting place and then I have to move myself, the cat, my and the stuff, once I have a place to go to. At least that's the plan! I'm definitely sticking around, although there will probably be a month during which I won't have internet access. I'll be sure to let you all know about the move and my ring. I guess good things come to those who wait. :))

Hugs,
Danny

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hugs back at ya, Danny. A whole month??? We'll miss you! I can't get along w/out at least one Danny joke per week -- you'll have to come up with a lot to make up for lost time. I have faith you'll survive the sweat, toil & discombobulation just fine & we'll hear from a happy Danny.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your vote of confidence! Moving really is a daunting and disorienting task for me.

But I won't be leaving for about a month.

It's just when I have to pack up the computer it'll take a few weeks to ship it (it goes in the car believe it or not) and then I'll have
to set up an internet connection at the new place.

But I'll be around for awhile longer still.

You're a sweetheart, Laurie.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1294559234|2818018 said:
You know what she sent me and my SO for Christmas? Two Peanuts cards, Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, and a Snoopy book that has pictures of all the peanuts characters that you press and they talk. It was something about the story and true meaning of Christmas. I haven't read it yet, because by the time it arrived, SO had left, and when I opened my mother's package and saw what it was, I just started crying. I wanted SO to be there to see it so badly. He loves Peanuts. He and I both do. I called her right then and told her how much it meant to me.
Awww. .. hugs!

I LOVE the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree! It's awesome. I read all the peanuts books when I was a kid! :appl: Did you know Linus has a little brother named Rerun? That's how you separate the Charlie Brown lovers, from the likers; ask them if they know Rerun. Or if they can name Snoopy's Birthplace. Or where Spike, Snoopy's brother, lives.

Where is this awesome book? I need an Amazon link! I like to put a seasonal book on the book stand in my library and usually use one of Robert Sabuda's pop-ups (here's a link, on amazon, to the one I used this year http://www.amazon.com/Night-Before-Christmas-Pop-up/dp/0689838999/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294629413&sr=8-2) but I would love to hear the Peanuts talk!

When I was first married, between moving our office, and moving our apartments, we moved 11 times in 5 years. We were young and could travel light. We moved out of our last house after we had lived there for 10+ years. It took 2 semi's and a mid-sized truck to move our junk. There is nothing like moving to make you realize how much cr@p you really have. :rolleyes: At least I do, anyway. :lol:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1294609892|2818369 said:
there will probably be a month during which I won't have internet access.

:shock:

Oh, boy . . .

I will probably be parsed to death while you are gone. :rolleyes:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No one better mess with iLander in my absence. Let's get that straight right now. :bigsmile:

iLander, tomorrow I will post the Amazon link in this thread.

Hugs,
Danny

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LOL :lol: I'll tell them you said so! :bigsmile:

Well, I'm plain freezing! Are you guys really getting snow? Does that happen often there? What's the temps?

Brrrr! :knockout: Hate it!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
No snow here on the mountain, but cold and raining all the time. Not fun! :???:

I told my mom two ladies on the jewelry forum said you're lucky to have me as a son. :saint:

She thought that was very charming.

Ok, here's the book (but my mom did NOT pay $79 for it).

I know this is the one she sent because the characters going down the side (that you press to talk) are the same: Lucy, then Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Sally, Scroder (sp?), a Christmas ornament, Linus, and the star on top of a Christmas tree. :appl:

On different pages in the book it tells you when to press each character.

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Interactive-Sound/dp/1595302417/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294989662&sr=1-1

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Love that Snoopy book! It's so cool that it makes noises. I have one like that for a Muppets book.

I'm a huge Muppets fan, I have all the muppet shows on DVD and all the movies, too. The Muppet Movie is my favorite movie of all time.

Kid's books are a guilty pleasure of mine, I have a lot of them, bought specifically for myself :appl: , and some for the kids.

This Richard Scarry is my absolute favorite, it has little houses and cars that you can color and cut out and assemble, it's plain awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarrys-Best-Rainy-Book/dp/037582927X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295318579&sr=8-1

I'm on my third copy, since the first 2 were used up by my 2 kids. I only paid regular retail for mine, too.

When the grandkids use it (if I ever get to see the future grandkids :rolleyes: ) I will obviously have to make copies of the pages before they are colored.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results