shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I am in love with the Cartier rolling rings (as is everyone else)! I have found an estate jeweler online who has a few and I think FI *may* order one for my wedding gift. I have some questions though...

Will Cartier charge me to polish it or will it be free?
If the size is just slightly off, are they possible to resize at all? (the ones without any diamonds)
I''ve heard their sizes are a bit strange... what size would you recommend for a regular size 5 or 5.5 finger?

Thanks everyone!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Very few jewelers will do this type of work free on a pre-owned piece.I would contact cartier and ask them directly.let us know what they say.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a Cartier rolling ring off eBay and I wear about a 5.25. The size I got was a 50. It fits, but I could have probably gone with a 51, too. If you lean more towards a size 5.5, I would go with a 51. The 50 fits me but if my finger is swollen at all because of the heat or whatever, it''s a bit tight. I wear it on my right hand, but my left ring finger is a bit smaller than my right and it fits better on the left hand. Once I get married I plan on wearing it as a stand in wedding band sometimes.

I called Cartier before it came because I was worried about the size and they said they can resize the rolling rings. Mine is plain-I''m sure the ones with diamonds can''t or shouldn''t be sized because there will be different amounts of space between them. I didn''t ask about repolishing, but mine could use it. And the white gold ring could really use a rhodium dipping...I''m not sure how they do that, though. So be prepared for that if you get a vintage one!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks jewelerman and thing2of2. I emailed the Dallas Cartier and they said there is normally a charge for polishing a rolling ring but that they would do mine for free if I brought it in. I don''t think that means they''ll do it free for everyone though.
My engagement ring is a 5 and my right ring finger is about the same size. Should I go up to a 5.25 or 5.5 due to the thickness of the ring? She has them listed on her site as american sizes... not the european ones or whatever Cartier uses.

Does anyone know how much the tricolor rolling rings go for on Signed Pieces?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Ok now I''m confused. I just recieved another reply from the same store in Dallas but from a different person. She stated that there will be a charge to polish it. Apparently someone wasn''t paying attention to which emails had already been replied to. Oh well... she said it will need to be sent off to be polished so I asked if they can ever do it in the store. I don''t live in Dallas so I would hate to leave it there until I was able to get to Dallas again.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Also, does anyone know if they will give me a Cartier box for it when I bring it to the store?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I heard that Cartier isn''t great with regard to being a "second" owner to a ring (a friend has one). I have a Tiffany ring (second owner) and have enjoyed GREAT service from Tiffany (including new boxes, free cleanings and sizing, paperwork transferred to our name, etc). So, perhaps if you "bother" Cartier a bit, they will do the same?

jellycat

Rough_Rock
not sure about the rolling rings, but when i asked (in-store) how much it would cost to polish my cartier love ring, they said they would need to send it to NY to be polished and that it would cost $150(!!). They said it would also take several weeks.

i could have sworn that when we purchased the ring in Paris, the SA said that polishings and such would be free. But that was a long time ago, so I don''t know if that is an accurate memory..

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
UCLABelle- Thanks for letting me know that they aren''t too "second hand friendly". I sent them another email asking about a box and they haven''t responded. *sigh* A part of me just wishes FI would buy a new rolling ring. I''d feel pretty guilty though if he did...

jellycat- $150!!?? If they won''t do it for free... can I just have my local jeweler do it?

Stupid rolling rings!... why must they be so cool!?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course you can have a local jeweler polish the ring. I don''t see that polishing by Cartier would be any more special. Is the ring that scratched that it needs polishing? If so, I''d probably just buy a new one.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
He hasn''t purchased it yet...I just mentioned that it would make a nice wedding gift. I emailed the owner a few times and got all the facts. The website and lady says it is in mint condition but the picture looks like it may be scratched a bit. It''s about 1/3 off the price that we would pay at Cartier. I know thats not a TON of money we would be saving but right now the wedding is just killing us. I also know that if I don''t get a second hand one then I won''t get a new one for a few years... I just don''t think I could bring myself to buy or ask for a ring that''s $1000 when he just bought my ering and 2 wedding bands.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Based on your description, it sounds like you might be looking at the same place where I got my vintage Trinity. If so, I do think the close up photos tend to magnify scratches. When it arrived, my ring was not mirror-perfect the way you would get it the day you purchased it at a store, but it wasn''t nearly as scratched as it appeared in the photo. More like a ring that you''d been wearing a couple of weeks - a few very tiny scratches, but not enough to need re-polishing.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Clio- Do you happen to remember the owner''s name that yours was purchased from? I don''t want to say the site yet in case someone purchases my size... but was the lady''s name Betty? Did you have yours authenticated or did you just trust that it was Cartier?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I spoke with her!!! LOL. I also emailed Cartier about polishing, etc. Let me dig out the email...

You can send the ring to our repair center in New York City at the
following address to be cleaned and polished:

C.I.S.
111 Eighth Avenue
Suite 500
New York, NY 10011
Tel: 1-888-929-2824

When sending your ring, please include in the box a sheet of paper with
your personal contact information and return address, so our technicians
can contact you with a cost estimate that needs to be either approved or
refused by you for them to proceed. Also, state that you just want the ring
cleaned and polished only, no repair needed. We advise that you use a
secure carrier such as UPS or FedEx, and that you obtain the individual
tracking number for your package. Finally, please refrain from writing
Cartier on the package in order to avoid tampering in transit; the address
above will suffice for delivery. This takes, on average, 6 -8 weeks to
complete, however, turn around time may vary due to other circumstances.

Sincerely,

Cartier Customer Service

The size thing did not work out, and now the prices have skyrocketed
39.gif
I hope you get one! I would love to hear what you think of her rings. Good luck!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Miscka- You spoke with Betty? Her rings are definitely authentic, right? I think FI purchased mine because my size has mysteriously vanished from the page.
31.gif
Were you pleased with what she had to say or did anything seem sketchy or off?

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
oobiecoo, yes, her name was Betty! I have not had the ring authenticated. I may at some point, but the ring is clearly of fine quality, so I''m pretty satisfied that it''s genuine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you share the site now that the ring is sold? Thanks!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I will definitely share the site once I recieve the ring and make sure it''s the right size, authentic, etc. (and that FI actually bought it!) She has 6 left, mostly in smaller sizes from 3.5 to 6.5 and I don''t think they''ll be going anywhere too soon. She also has some of the thicker ones and diamond ones.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you contact Cartier do you actually need to tell them that the ring is second hand? If they aren''t second hand friendly just leave that information out. You have a Cartier ring, you think it needs a bit of a polish, and the box was misplaced.

I hope that your SO bought you the ring!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 5:48:34 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Thanks jewelerman and thing2of2. I emailed the Dallas Cartier and they said there is normally a charge for polishing a rolling ring but that they would do mine for free if I brought it in. I don''t think that means they''ll do it free for everyone though.

My engagement ring is a 5 and my right ring finger is about the same size. Should I go up to a 5.25 or 5.5 due to the thickness of the ring? She has them listed on her site as american sizes... not the european ones or whatever Cartier uses.

Does anyone know how much the tricolor rolling rings go for on Signed Pieces?

Sorry, oobie, I forgot about this thread! It sounds like yours is already bought, though!
36.gif
For size, I don''t know...I think a whole half size bigger would probably be too much bigger, you know? Hmmm...maybe go for the 5.25?

As for the thickness, I don''t think the ring is really that thick. Even though it''s 3 bands (I think they''re around 3 mm each) they overlap so well that it really doesn''t seem more than maybe 5 or 6 mm total. I don''t have my measuring tape handy but I can hunt it down if you want an accurate measurement! I''ll try to check back this time so I''ll know if you reply!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 11:26:30 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Miscka- You spoke with Betty? Her rings are definitely authentic, right? I think FI purchased mine because my size has mysteriously vanished from the page.
31.gif
Were you pleased with what she had to say or did anything seem sketchy or off?

I definitely think they are authentic, but worth checking. She was very nice and accommodating, and I asked a million questions. My BF was going to buy me one for my bday last year, but my size never showed up. Sounds like your guy snatched yours up! Good for you. I cannot wait to see pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results