shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier Diamond Ring Inquiry

lars888

Rough_Rock
I just came into possession of a Cartier Diamond Ring. I am having trouble determining the price. I was told by a friend to get an appraisal from local jeweler, however when I took it to a jewelry shop the jeweler took it to his desk looked at it with two maybe three different microscopes, then weighed it. All of which only took a couple minutes, then flashed a blue light on it. He confirmed it was real, and only offered me $300 for it.. Of course I declined.. Surely its worth much more? I don't have original box or any official documents pertaining to ring

Engraved inside the ring says

Cartier 750 (C) 53 QC**** <> AU750 .807ct

(C) is a copyright symbol I think
**** are four numbers (not sure if its okay to post it?)
<> is another symbol with some markings inside

Hope this makes sense, and any help is greatly appreciated.

r1.jpg r2.jpg r3.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics.

Larry

Last edited:

lars888

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the quick response

Yes my goal is to sell

That one looks extremely similar I would even go as far to say identical judging from the pics looking at bottom circle up into diamond, but it says 950 and .8 which I'm assuming is Diamond weight

Does that mean mine is less value?

What price should I look to get for it by going to local jeweler?

Sorry if my terminology is a little off, I have never dealt with diamond ring before

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lars888

Rough_Rock
So after I have it appraised for resell value I can take to jeweler with price in mind?

So its definitely worth more than 300$ right?

If you had to guess how much do you think I could get for mine?

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need an independent appraisal. If you just go into a jeweler like you did, they'll just give you a lowball offer. You need to go to an independent appraiser if there is one in your area and just say you want to determine value to insure or possibly sell. If the ring is authentic, the setting alone is worth more than $300. The diamond value obviously has to be determined through appraisal. You likely would get more for it selling to an individual over a jeweler, but you need some verification of it's authenticity and specs.

https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

(I just saw that someone else had also recommended an independent appraiser.)

We can't guess the value. It could be a fake stone worth 0. It could be a real diamond worth $500 or $5000+ depending on cut, color, and clarity.

lars888

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much for the help. I will make an appointment for appraisal and report back

lars888

Rough_Rock
@tyty33 Why in 1st dibs link it doesn't say anything about the diamond in terms of the 4 C's? Isn't that the info I would be looking to get from appraisal?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any of the original paperwork? Anything that shows provenance of the ring? That increases the value. Similar rings on eBay are selling for several thousand dollars, but it's all about proving that it's the genuine article and not some knockoff.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The center stone on the 1st Dibs website is a 0.81 ct GIA F VVS1 XXX.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it's a true Cartier, it's worth way more than $300. I would estimate the retail price around $15000 and the pre-loved around half that if it can be authenticated.

If not authentic, just go to blue Nike, pick a similar setting and rock with specs and then take 70% of that value for pre-loved

lars888

Rough_Rock
No I do not have any of the original paperwork but I know its Cartier and I know its 100% real diamond. If it really is $15000 I would be delighted.

I called Jewelry Judge appraiser and left a message. I'm going to have it checked out to see specifics like clarity and cut.

My friend who I trust told me I could take it to his co-workers dads shop to have it appraised but tyty33 said I need an independent appraiser. Whats your guys thoughts on this?

lars888

Rough_Rock
@Tophat1 What do you mean pre-loved to be half that? Don't understand the terminology

Surely after I get it appraised then its authenticated?

Again, I know my ring is 100% real Cartier I just don't have original box or paperwork. Ring was probably purchased at least couple years ago maybe more does that make it less in value?

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Pre-loved means pre-owned aka not buying it directly from a retailer (in your case, buying it from Cartier). So, yours would be pre-loved. You will not get retail value for it. However you'll get MUCH MUCH more than $300, lol.

I would resell it on ebay, loupetroop, diamondbistro, or do a consignment. You won't get much from a jeweler because they will want to make a profit on it as well. You also won't get much on Craigslist because most typical buyers don't know the actual value of it.

lars888

Rough_Rock
@lalala Thank you

So does getting it authenticated with friends co-workers dads jewelry shop work or go to independent appraiser?

I was thinking about selling to well known jewelry store nearby for fast cash. I've heard some terrible stories on ebay

lars888

Rough_Rock
So pre-loved means pre-owned but the ring was purchased out of Cartier store.. It's still pre-loved then because it was worn before?

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. It's pre-loved. Whoever buys it from YOU is not buying it from Cartier.

Personally, I wouldn't sell it to a jewelry store unless you're in dire need of money or just don't care to get full value for it.

For example, let's say it's worth $7K, a jewelry store will probably offer you $3.5K (more than likely less and if you're lucky a little bit more).

You don't have to list on eBay, I gave you other places to sell above.

As for the appraisal, just make sure they are unbiased.

lars888

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, lets say it is worth 7k then, is that how much I could list it on for ebay or any of the other sites?

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much, lets say it is worth 7k then, is that how much I could list it on for ebay or any of the other sites?

Yes but be willing to accept up to 10% less than the resell value. I'd also list it about 2-5% more than resell value and offer OBO (or best offer).

So, with our example of $7000, I'd list it for $7350 OBO and accept the best offer down to $6300.

That's what *I* would personally do. I'm not sure if that's the general consensus. @Niel is very familiar with eBay and may be able to provide some better advice.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is better to get an appraisal from an independent appraiser rather than a jewelry shop as an appraiser would be more likely to be viewed as an unbiased third party. Also, not every jewelry store has experts who are experienced at authenticating brand name pieces. What kind of jewelry does your contact's dad's store specialize in? Are they experienced and knowledgeable in buying and selling designer jewelry such as Cartier? There are some factors to consider before you decide where to have your ring appraised.
You can find a list of appraisers here: https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

I would also try contacting https://www.joganibh.com/ (jeweler who buys from consumers) or http://www.jewelsbygrace.com (popular PS jeweler who occasionally buys but is popular for consignment sales). At minimum they could give you more information and a better understanding of how your ring might be valued by trade buyers.

Last edited:

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had sold my diamond before (3 carat), and what was useful was to think of it from a potential buyer's perspective.

If it is retailing at e.g. 7k in the Cartier store, why would they pay full retail price for a second-hand ring, from an unknown individual, where the provenance is not a sure guarantee, AND they are likely going to have to pay for an independent appraiser themselves to make sure it is indeed said ring? It is MUCH safer for the buyer to just buy it direct from Cartier.

The offer price has to be attractive enough + the provenance (e.g. paperwork from independent appraiser stating this is a Cartier piece) in order for people to be willing to take the risk. If you sell it through consignment via a jeweler it might help give buyers peace of mind as well.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you find the right appraiser, they will not authenticate it. They will give you the specs of the setting and diamonds and state that the ring is engraved with cartier. Authentication of a ring requires that they know a lot of details about the stamps used Cartier. It is typically something an antique jewelry appraiser would know, so you may ask if the appraiser has such experience.

Cartier won't authenticate, but a previous PS post stated, "However, what I have read is that if you pay to have them polish or engrave it, they will send it away to be polished or engraved, then if they find it to be fake they will refuse to polish it. If they find it real then they will give you a service receipt for the polish and that can kind of act as your authentication. They will not work on non-genuine Cartier."

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, take it into Cartier, say you inherited it from a deceased aunt and see if they’ll polish it for you. They won’t polish anything that not authentic Cartier. Not an authentication as such, but suitable “proof” for a purchaser. You really do need the specs of the diamond because there is a substantial price difference between F / G VVS1 and I/J VS2. As a “name” piece you can expect a better price, but all “pre loved” diamond rings are worth at least 30% less than new from the retail shop. I wouldn’t sell on eBay, the fees are about 13% and there can be scam buyers out there. I would try Loupe Troop or even an auction house (higher selling fees but you can set a reserve and not worry some buyer trying to scam you). Don’t sell to any jewelers or pawnbrokers, they will only give you low low dollars.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lalala Thank you

So does getting it authenticated with friends co-workers dads jewelry shop work or go to independent appraiser?
No...use an independent appraiser. One that works with name brand pieces would be great if you
can find one near by.

I was thinking about selling to well known jewelry store nearby for fast cash. I've heard some terrible stories on ebay
As others have stated you will probably not get a very good offer (you can always refuse it though).

YOU may know its Cartier but you have to convince buyers that its a true Cartier and you are missing all the paperwork. At $7k it will
probably take a little while to sell (most people dont part with that kind of money easily)...you have to wait and find the right buyer.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that you could replicate the ring with an ideal cut certified stone for less than $7000 from one of the online vendors you would need as much info as possible to persuade your buyer!

lars888

Rough_Rock
This is much harder than I thought. Last night left message for independent appraiser and am still waiting on call back for appointment to have ring checked out.

Will report back after that to continue. Set my mind on selling

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember that it is thanksgiving week. Be patient. May I inquire how you came into possession of this ring that you need to liquidate it so quickly?

lars888

Rough_Rock
I do not need to liquidate it so quickly at all but the extra money would be very nice in time for the holidays. It's my deceased aunts ring that I am now the owner of. It's been sitting in upstairs jewelry box for a while, found it couple nights ago digging around.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did your aunt have it insured? A rider on her Homeowner's policy? That might help you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results