shape
carat
color
clarity

cartier ballerine estate rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

britt

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have been lurking on PS for quite some time, but this is my first post. I am in the market for an EG. my girlfriend and I both fell in love with the cartier ballerine (round cut). we actually found it to be our favorite during separate visits that didn''t involve the other.

I could afford it, but I think of myself as a savvy shopper and they thought of waltzing into cartier and plunking down their asking price makes me feel like a dupe. She would be happier to know I spent less, and I would be happier knowing I stayed out of the DeBeers monopoly (if only marginally).

1. does anyone know when cartier started making the ballerine engagement rings?
2. Is there any kind of secondary (estate) market for them? and if so, what is the best way to locate one?

I don''t really want to try to do a knock-off (unethical, and I think most of the beauty in the ring is in its balance and detail).

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ballerine.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Good luck! You can try Signed Pieces or ebay, or google around, but I wouldn''t count on running across a used one quickly. I''ve never seen one, that I recall.

I HAVE seen many lovely rings with similar designs. If you were to work with a good jeweler, you might be able to design something that pleases you as much, but is different enough--let''s say, better enough--that it doesn''t violate either the word or the spirit of the copyright law.

If you must have that exact ring and you want it soon, though, you''re probably better off buying it from Cartier.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 5:58:30 PM
Author: glitterata
Good luck! You can try Signed Pieces or ebay, or google around, but I wouldn''t count on running across a used one quickly. I''ve never seen one, that I recall.

I HAVE seen many lovely rings with similar designs. If you were to work with a good jeweler, you might be able to design something that pleases you as much, but is different enough--let''s say, better enough--that it doesn''t violate either the word or the spirit of the copyright law.

If you must have that exact ring and you want it soon, though, you''re probably better off buying it from Cartier.
Ditto everything Glitter has said - why you don''t have a look at single stone.com.
They have the most incredible vintage rings - and many in similiar styles to the one you like.
Maybe you can find something equally nice, or some other inspiration.
5.gif

britt

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much to both of you for your replies! I had been looking at estate rings on the internet, but hadn''t seen anything I liked. but your suggestions of sites have been very helpful.

1. any other suggestions for estate jewelry sites or stores (I can get to NY and will be in SF this weekend)
2. what is a reasonable discount to pay for an estate ring vs. a new one (80% of equivalent new cost? higher? lower?)

Sincerely,
Britt

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
There are several booths and shops on 47th St. in NYC that sell antique jewelry. There are several shops on the Upper East side that I remember passing, but I don''t remember exactly where. There''s a shop on Greenwich Avenue in Soho, and one on I think Orchard St on the Lower East Side. I don''t remember any names, though, so I guess all that is super unhelpful!

There''s Fred Leighton on Madison Avenue--some heartbreakingly beautiful stuff, with heartbreakingly high prices.

Have you looked at auction houses? I''ve never done that, but you could luck out.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 5:58:30 PM
Author: glitterata

Another ditto!

That is a gorgeous setting, though. I hope you find one!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that setting and frequent many used/estate websites and haven''t seen one yet sadly.

Another estate company is Israel Rose, although their return policy is very short if you can''t see it in person, but another site to check out. They seem to get a lot of Cartier.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 10:34:02 AM
Author: britt
Thanks very much to both of you for your replies! I had been looking at estate rings on the internet, but hadn''t seen anything I liked. but your suggestions of sites have been very helpful.

1. any other suggestions for estate jewelry sites or stores (I can get to NY and will be in SF this weekend)
2. what is a reasonable discount to pay for an estate ring vs. a new one (80% of equivalent new cost? higher? lower?)

Sincerely,
Britt
You''re welcome.
I''m not in the US, but I believe van craeynest is in SF.
They do antique-style rings that are still made with the same methods and tools as they once were, so they look very authentic and extremely pretty.
They also do custom work.
I don''t *think* there is really a standard to vintage pricing - like everything, I guess it depends on quality of diamond, workmanship etc. But I''m no pro.

Here is a thread from all the VC lovers around here show me some VC !

good luck!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
VC is lovely, but their pieces look nothing like the ballerine.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMHO ... save yourself the trouble & heartache. Buy the original. The reasons for searching for an estate (used) piece will seem insignificant in the long run. Its a relatively new design -- do you truly think they''re turning over that fast? Needle. Haystack.

Are you sure Cartier gets their diamonds from Debeers anyway?

If there''s one thing to splurge on ... one thing to get exactly what you want (especially if you both agree) ... its a romantic, keep forever piece like an engagement ring. Would be a shame to let ego (i.e. beating the system) get in the way of simple enjoyment.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with deco. It''s a beautiful design and since you both love it and can afford just enjoy the cartier experience and buy the real deal. It will be a time tested heirloom for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results