shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier 1895

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nick1918

Rough_Rock
Has anyone seen a setting similar to the Cartier 1895 shown on their website? I tried to save the picture but its a flash file and won''t save. Basically its a e-ring with diamonds all the way around it. If you go to Cartier.com and click jewelry and go to the ceremony collection its the second ring they show (1895 solitare platinum, brilliant cut diamonds). I love settings with diamonds going all the way around but haven''t really seen many.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
You mean like this?

CTRL ALT Print-Screen is your friend
1.gif

cartier_1895.jpg

Nick1918

Rough_Rock
That's it!!

Thanks

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Mara's ring is similar in idea. And betterthandiamond.com makes one with genuine diamonds not sims., I don't know that they are reasonable though since I've never priced this setting. Look around for pave set eternity e-rings if you want stones all the way around. I think that's what this style is. If you don't-look for pave set

Nick1918

Rough_Rock
Lenee,

Thanks! The one on betterthandiamond.com is really nice. I was thinking about going with the Ascher cut and that's what their picture is of! Although the diamonds don't go all the way around the stone, I might have to settle since I haven't seen any with diamonds completely around the setting. Has anyone else? But that's very close to what i'm looking for
appl.gif

cartierprofile1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamonds all the way around the ring weaken the setting depending on what type of metal you have. My ring has this..but the ring itself was made slightly thicker (on the side..the metal part that rests against my skin) in order to support the stones safely. Otherwise you have a very thin, weak setting and the diamonds will pop out and you will lose them. Or it will crack under pressure (e.g. you slam your hand down or get it caught somewhere). We had ours custom made because we couldn't find many rings like what you describe.

Michael B has a similar setting...pave all the way around .43c I believe on a 1.5mm band (very thin) which sets off the center stone quite nicely, but the setting is not that thick. Also it's pricey, $2700 for most retail stores, though I found an online retailer who would sell it to us for $2300. We had our ring custom for $2k and its similar AND has .35c more stones, always fun.

Here is a pic of the Michael B pave eternity setting. You can surf around the 'show me the ring' section of the forum to see pictures of my ring, and also other people's...I think there are a few others who have diamonds all the way around on the forum. It's kind of fun, but IMO you have to do it right. Don't overpay for a designer name and not the best quality.

Good luck!!
1.gif
Next post will also have a closeup of the MB ring..so you can see the detail in the pave. Pretty.

Michael B Princess Set Small1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

princess michael b thin1.jpeg

Nick1918

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara!

I took your advice and looked around but it seems you have the only ring with diamonds all the way around. I'm a little concerned about the diamonds weakening the setting. What should I look for to correct this problem and does it take away from the look at all?

Also if I want to get a setting similar to yours what do you recommend I inquire about? What should i ask for exactly? Would you recommend a setting similar to this for a modified squre diamond (ascher cut possibly?)

Thanks for all the help
read.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nick I love the pave look whether its all the way around or just partly...so I love the look regardless, with any stone! I am posting a few pix of other cuts of stones that I gathered while thinking about my setting, so look below.

I actually have not seen my setting anywhere else yet...either online or on anyone's hand...so I'm pretty happy with the uniqueness. Part of the reason we got it made was because we couldn't find eternity engagement rings anywhere!! All we found were the wedding rings...not the engagement rings with a head for a stone. Plus my jeweler's wife's ring cinched the deal.

I would suggest if you are interested, you give our jeweler a call. If you decide you want the same ring or even a slight variation (e.g. different head, different sized side side stones (ours are .03) etc), they can do it for you being that they just did mine in Jan of this year. I am sure their designer still has the mold for the general piece to work from or at least get ideas from. Our cost was $2k...if you get something similar they will most likely charge you the same. Even though our jeweler is local to us, I am sure they would commission it for you from discussions over the phone, which is similar to doing business online.

Anyhow, the information is Garrett Jewelers in Aptos, California. The number is (831) 662-0905 . Jeff Garrett will most likely answer the phone. Tell him that Mara sent you! It's a very small shop, run by him and his wife Yvonne. They work with the local designer and he is very good. Our ring is amazingly well put together and top quality.

The plat is nice and heavy...they made the piece specifically to protect the small stones going all the way around, hence the slight thickness of the ring (2.5mm thick). Also they decided to do the stones set into 4 prong settings as opposed to pave. This also helps protect the stones. Jeff worked tirelessly with me while we figured out what we wanted to do...how thick I wanted the ring to be, what the side stones would be like. I specified that I wanted the side stones to match my center stone (G VS) and they did it (maybe one SI baby stone snuck in..heehee).

Oh and one last thing...when we first started taking pictures to Jeff for what we wanted to do..he commented that the style I wanted was similar to the Cartier ring, which at that point I had not really seen. So you're on a similar track!
1.gif

So check out the attached pics...but I think this setting would look great with any stone. Good luck!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
woops this wasnt the one i wanted to post but now i cant delete it. ignore this pic!!

5carat oval cushion cut diamond.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
cushion cut pave setting with 8 prong (split prong) setting...beautiful!

cushion cut pave setting wfishtail prongs.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.27c (WOW) round stone with pave shank and pave basket setting

7.27c round pave shank prongs bezel.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smaller similar ctw style round pave shank..

antique pave engagement ring1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and view this webpage, the stones are fakies...but it gives you some ideas on settings for Asschers using pave...even if it is not all the way around you get the general idea were you to have something made.

http://www.ziamond.com/asinrin.html

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Mara you are too cool.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lanee--thanks sweetie!
1.gif
Too bad I am not this applied at work!! HA HA

SwanSong

Rough_Rock
here is a great site to check out some beautiful pave - original and estate work.

www.artofplatinum.com

Enjoy!

Nick1918

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help Mara! I think you got me off to a good start. I just found a super cool setting on the site swansong posted that I wanted too share. I wish I was rich because I'm sure this one is way out of my budget.
8.gif

Nick1918

Rough_Rock
here it is

artofplatinum.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Nick that is AMAZING!! I am saving that picture for the future, definitely.

You'd be surprised that settings don't cost TOO much to make (well compared to the stone that is I guess). So get some $$ figures before you rule anything out.
www.tradeshop.com also does custom work and they are pretty reasonable and people have been pleased with the results. They post picture galleries of their projects and finished items so that you can see the process and someone who bought knows where their piece is at. Pretty cool.

Good luck! You have a good eye so I am sure you will be fine!

calgary

Rough_Rock
hello mara or anyone else

ther were 2 rings in this string which i would love to find online. 1)the pave eternity (michael b style?) and the cartier style cathedral with pave diamonds. any thoughts?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michael B rings are carried all over, I think he has a website where you can find his vendors who sell his items. I do know that Joe Escobar (www.escobardiamonds.com) and Solomon Brothers (www.solomonbrothers.com) sell the settings. I also found another one but don't recall off the top of my head who it was (online)...and while most retailers sell the setting for around $2700, this woman offered it to me for $2200. So there are savings out there if you find a retailer who sells it, you can negotiate, thanks to the internet there is some leeway on what they can sell the settings for before really cutting into their profit. The wedding band pictured with the e-ring in my 'hand' pic above is one of the matching wedding bands, they have slightly thicker ones as well (to match e-ring width), and have a few in different ranges so depending on your budget, you can match it up.

I really love the Michael B lineup but they are very pricey. We got a similar setting to the MB custom made for $2000 in platinum and it has almost double the amount of carats in the eternity band as the MB rings do (theirs have around .43c and ours was .72c). So you may want to consider that route too if you are looking to maximize your budget. Also, if you do something like a custom job and like the cathedral 'shoulder' style band, you can have the pave look done with cathedral shoulders, I have seen that and its breathtaking because the pave is like a little road leading up to the stone! Custom can be really fun if you have a few different ring characteristics you would like to combine. You may be able to find a custom made job less than $2k...we didn't shop around or anything because we wanted to use the jeweler who we bought our stone from and his designer for the setting business. www.tradeshop.com does custom work and they have a great gallery online so you can see the piece as it comes along (and view other people's pieces as well). You can use their online pricing estimate form to get a response. They are pretty prompt and friendly.

Hope that helps!
1.gif
I don't know anything about the Cartier setting, but figure you can only get a Cartier setting with a Cartier stone, so again unless you go custom, you'd be plunking down alot of extra $$ for the Cartier branding just to get the setting you want.

2.gif

imdawnweiner

Rough_Rock
is a cartier diamond better than a tiffany's????????
rolleyes.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/6/2003 11:35:58 AM imdawnweiner wrote:

is a cartier diamond better than a tiffany's????????

rolleyes.gif

----------------
Neither Cartier nor Tiffany cut their own diamonds. They buy them on the wholesale market from the same suppliers everyone else does. The only distinctions are in the characteristics of the individual stones.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Mara,

Doesn't your band get banged up from everyday use with the diamonds all the way around? I know it is beautiful, but I always assumed it wouldn't be very practical, and a plain, squared shank that kept the diamond part on the top would be the better way to go (even if it isn't as glamorous
twirl.gif
.) Do you end up having to be extra careful, or catching it non things?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it doesnt get banged up at all..surprisingly. We were not sure what to expect but I guess I know just to be a little more careful with that hand. However, I dont really go banging my hand around on things so maybe that helps.
1.gif
Plus we have the jeweler check the prongs and stones every 6 months, so that keeps things fresh.

I suppose since diamonds are so hard, really its not that I should worry about the stones being damaged by wear and tear, but the other things I strike WITH the ring.
2.gif

We're very happy with the result and I love that it looks so pretty but ends up being very durable!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results