shape
carat
color
clarity

Carre cut diamonds? Many questions

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
I am working on having a band built and getting pricing for stones from LM. Can anyone tell me what exactly a carre cut diamond is by defintion and how it differes aesthetically from a square step cut seen in most channel set bands? I have been told that they are deep and have high crowns. I guess I am a little nervous because when I search for information everything seems to be "modern" squares which are essentially flat on top.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This cut is a step cut and really looks like a square stone with facets like a straight baguette or an emerald cut with 90 degree corners rather than cut corners. It does not define the height or proportions of the stone so modern or old cut could all be called the same name. Old cuts may well be deeper and have more crown height and smaller tables. These are not lively like princess or broad flashy like Fench cuts of similar size. These cuts are subtle and reserved like emerald cut center stones.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
David: the stones i was quoted are 3.8mm square , DEF, VS and priced at 2500 per carat for a total of 6.5 approx carats. the price is higher per carat but somewhat comparable to .33 round stones but with alot less face up 3.8 verses 4.4 for a round. These are supposedly cut to order and are deep as they were "originally" but its a lot of money. Rounds seem like a better "buy" for the money. does this sound right?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rounds are an entirely different look...it depends on what look you are going for.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
yes--i wanted a vintage looking ring substantial and slightly unique but my husband thinks for the same money I could get a much more impressive ring of rounds

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
like this...............or

squareband2.jpg

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
or bezel set rounds like this but full eternity with milgrained edges. (stones in either band would be about .30 each)

bezelrounds.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
is this for a wedding band? do you have an ering that you would wear it with?

what look appeals more to you?

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
I have an EC e-ring but want this as a stand alone ring to wear instead of e-ring and wedding band. i prefer step cuts --my main doubt is that for the money the carre band is much smaller looking

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
I believe Lauren (LTP) has one of these bands. She may be able to offer information on hers. Try posting "calling LTP" in the colored stones forum

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If you want a stand alone band, go with the carre cut band .. I find it way more impressive than the bezeled rounds. Don't get me wrong .. I have a band with bezel rounds and love it but it is a just for fun ring for me.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Custom cut diamonds or ones finely selected to fit exactly always cost considerably more than miost any other diamond for a given weight or size. You can't get around that with new products. A person dedicated to the shopping process can find second hand diamond bands with an infinite variety of diamonds already matched and ready. Just use them in a newly made band and the price of the diamonds will be far less than newly picked. You may need to do a lot of shopping, but Pricescoper's are some of the world's best shoppers.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased a pair of appx. 3x3's for a ring in February. I believe that is slightly smaller than what you are looking for. I paid a bit less than what you are quoting, but some posters have noted diamonds have gone up in price. Also, I only had to match a pair, not a whole ring.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Oldminer said:
Custom cut diamonds or ones finely selected to fit exactly always cost considerably more than miost any other diamond for a given weight or size. You can't get around that with new products. A person dedicated to the shopping process can find second hand diamond bands with an infinite variety of diamonds already matched and ready. Just use them in a newly made band and the price of the diamonds will be far less than newly picked. You may need to do a lot of shopping, but Pricescoper's are some of the world's best shoppers.

David: I was trying to do that but wasnt having much luck--but your point is a good one. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results