shape
carat
color
clarity

Carolina Hererra Shirtdress Gown??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey guys,
Have any of you come across pictures of that Carolina Herrera pink & white striped shirtdress wedding gown? I was thinking of wearing something like that for our Barn Hoe-down & Hitchin''. And I wanna rip it off ''cause

a) can''t afford the designer one
b) want to do it in some kinda cotton or linen rather than the tafetta original

Either that or something like the Vivien Leigh Siri bridesmaid dress -- in cotton or linen also.

Pix divas ... anything? anything?

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i don''t think this is it, but it''s a carolina herrera and has pink stripes...

carolina herrera gown with pink stripes.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, Deco, I know exactly what kind of dress you're talking about but haven't seen or been able to pull up the C. Herrara tonight... I think the dress you've got in mind would be absolutely perfect for what you've got planned...I can see it now: very "couture," very "Town & Country," and just gorgeous for your type of wedding! I don't know, could you have it made from a sketch somewhere?

I adore the thought of it and hope you find something, sorry I'm of no help whatsoever!
1.gif
35.gif
Just wanted to say I totally support the idea you're after!
35.gif

ETA: I love a great shirtwaist dress. TG they've been somewhat "revived."

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i think this might be it, but it''s not a great view...

carolina herrera wedding shirtdress.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOoOh I think that''s IT!!!! I googled all over the place so KUDOS to you for finding it!!!

Gotta find a front view somewhere -- I know I saw it in a wedding mag a while back, but can''t find it online anywhere ... hmmmm hmmmm.

THANKSS!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is so neat! It has a bit of a retro feel which is cool (and the model''s hairdo contributes to that feel as well) and I think it could be great for your setting. Would you have a lot of train or pooling fabric down on the ground? I am trying to envision it all...I recall you are getting married in a barn I think but do not know all of the details...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 1:04:00 AM
Author: monarch64
I think the dress you've got in mind would be absolutely perfect for what you've got planned...I can see it now:
It's SO CLOSE ... I was also thinking about recreating it in White Eyelet with a black slipdress underneath.

One of my best friends is a fashion designer who might, might, might help me put something together if I can show her exactly what I have in mind. Then again, she might be too busy. Aiigh. I haven't sewed in years -- and the last thing I made was a velour track suit in like the eighties. I think I need prof. help!

ETA: I go back & forth between SHIRTDRESS or tea-length flirty 50's style cotton sundress & cardigan shrugishness. Hmmm.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i don''t know if this is the same one, but here are a couple more views...

shirtdress front.jpg

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
here''s the second one. (i don''t know how to post more than one at a time)

shirtdress closer up.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2006 1:36:10 AM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 5/13/2006 1:04:00 AM
Author: monarch64
I think the dress you've got in mind would be absolutely perfect for what you've got planned...I can see it now:
It's SO CLOSE ... I was also thinking about recreating it in White Eyelet with a black slipdress underneath.

One of my best friends is a fashion designer who might, might, might help me put something together if I can show her exactly what I have in mind. Then again, she might be too busy. Aiigh. I haven't sewed in years -- and the last thing I made was a velour track suit in like the eighties. I think I need prof. help!

ETA: I go back & forth between SHIRTDRESS or tea-length flirty 50's style cotton sundress & cardigan shrugishness. Hmmm.
OK, first of all DAMN you for intriguing me to the point that I'm staying up this late when I have to be up at 5 a.m. to "train" walk 20 miles for my upcoming marathon, and second of all you are a gal after my own heart with this dress which explains why I'm just crazy enough to take an interest! And I don't even know you, lol! I have a 4 yr. degree in fashion, so that just might attempt to explain it.

Anyway, enough with my rant and onto the point: not only have you chosen an absolutely classic style of dress (albeit not a wedding gown style), you have thought outside of any box from PS clear to the Knot, and I love it. Most certainly everyone else who attends your wedding will love it too...because I have a definite feeling you're the type who can carry it off without question.
9.gif
IMO, if you're going to go for this style, do it up, as in no tea-length, no sundressy BS, just the whole she-bang, get my picture? God you will be phe-freakin-nomenal in a full out shirtdress gown, I'm sure.

OK, I'm done. Show me some sketches or pics of you in this dream dress and I can die happy. LOL! You're the best Deco, Oh, and btw, I
30.gif
Tay!!!

ETA: one last thing, I haven't been this excited about a dress since my first glimpse of Vogue magazine at 11 years old, jeez. I am starting to disgust myself! I love it!
36.gif

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
here''s a sketch...
sorry it''s so small.

carolina herrera sketch.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
HOOORAY
36.gif
36.gif

You guys are AWESOME!! I got dragged to bed by the Sweetie but you gals had my back!!

This is EXACTLY what I need to show my friend. I'm so PSYCHED! It's one of those things that I saw & it took my breath away and I was like "PERFECT" but then, it's Carolina Herrera so - heh- never gonna happen (especially when we figured out the WHOLE wedding budget).

Now, I just gotta get crafty!

Oh & Monarch ... I dunno if I can pull it off, but I've got height on my side! (5 9 1/2 ish) and a small waist compared to my ginormous hips, so it's a pretty good shape for me, which must be why I
30.gif
it.

Can you imagine the pictures?
31.gif

ETA: now I know where that Celeb chick got her idea for a giant bouquet -- this model looks like she's carrying A SHRUB!!!
3.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
That shirt dress is gorgeous! AHHH carolina herrera. I found something similar in tea length. It is actually a two piece made by the company that made my bridesmaid dresses. I think it is beautiful and somewhat similar, but much less expensive than the carolina one. The fabric is an awesome silk shantung... thought you might be interested. Also, here is the bio on the knot of a girl who used it for a very vintage style wedding in the pale pink...
http://talk.theknot.com/boards/User/Profile.aspx?bioname=hisdollface

aria shirt.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks Ms. Flutter ... that gal''s Knot Profile & pix were SO FUN!!! She''s got MOXIE! Love it!

That''s kind of a combo of the two looks I was thinking of (shirtdress & 50''s cocktail)!!

Did you say you know the Dress company''s name? Curious, curious --- especially if this "sewing" thing doesn''t work out!
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I wanted to steal the pix of the Vivian Leigh dress from Siri but it wouldn''t let me ... here''s the link in case anyone wants a peep.

That''s another style I was thinking about "remaking" -- longer (tealength rather than calf length) and in a less bridal/bridesmaid fabric -- maybe eyelet or gingham or pale violet linen or something.

But hmmmm. SHIRTDRESSES are on the forefront of my mind right now!
31.gif
30.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Deco,

I LOVE the shirt dress idea, especially in a white eyelet. I also like the one by Siri, but more for a spring wedding...for a Fall wedding, the shirt dress would be breathtaking!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, that dress is by Aria. Their website is www.ariadress.com It is such a great company. I ordered my BM dressed from them. For $18 they will send you a dress in your size to see how it looks (they wont guarantee the color).

Your ideas so far are fantastic, you will find something perfect!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
That gal on the knot''s dress is precious....and of course I HEART the Carolina!!

Deco, you should totally go for it--it would be so dreamy in an eyelet or a REALLY crisp cotton or linen. YUM!

Here''s that vivian leigh dress. Some crafty PSer taught me how to circumvent the "flash" thing with copying pics online!

(Hit printscreen, open a new MS paint doc, hit paste, then copy and crop to your heart''s content!)

Here ''tis :)

vivleighdecod.JPG

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 7:58:18 PM
Author: blueroses
Here''s that vivian leigh dress. Some crafty PSer taught me how to circumvent the ''flash'' thing with copying pics online! (Hit printscreen, open a new MS paint doc, hit paste, then copy and crop to your heart''s content!)

THANKS Lady!! Sadly my IMac doesn''t like your cool trick. I know I''ve lifted stuff sneakily before - but it''s hit or miss for me. My Mac''s cute & white, that''s SOMETHING!
3.gif

I floated the idea of re-conceiving the shirtdress gown with my fashion-y friend today. She seemed open to it but can''t say more ''til she gets her Road Runner working again and can really check out all the awesome photos & sketches San Diego Lady unearthed (THANKS AGAIN SDL!!)

I also checked out the ARIA site Ms. Flutter suggested --and-- get this ... the shirtdress two-piece cocktailly number also comes in Black & White GINGHAM shantung. AND is available with longer skirts that I could hem to tea-length.
12.gif
12.gif
That could be a nearly sew-free, budget-friendly, quirkily retro, barn-BBQ-hoedown friendly option.

Whaddya think?

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Oops! I''m too pc-centric!!!

GINGHAM SHANTUNG!!??? As Stacy London would say, Shut UP!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE the sketches and pics of the Carolina and I also think the Aria stuff is divine. I''ve got to go check out that site!

GINGHAM!!! in SILK!!!!! Seriously!!! It''s barn-tastic!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Here are the swatches. Yeah, I kind of love it! With a little '60s veil-y poof on your head? Is that too much?

missdecod.JPG

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 9:24:27 PM
Author: decodelighted
THANKS Lady!! Sadly my IMac doesn''t like your cool trick. I know I''ve lifted stuff sneakily before - but it''s hit or miss for me. My Mac''s cute & white, that''s SOMETHING!
3.gif

ah a mac? hit shift/command/4 and it gives you a little icon that using the mouse, you drag it over the area you wanted copied. it turns it into a pdf picture on your desktop. convert that pdf to a jpeg for posting.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the mac tip, jcrow. you just made me love my little mac even more!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Black and white gingham would be something I'd have to actually see (as a dress) before I could make a love/hate decision, to be completely honest...but if you love it, that's all that matters! Whatever you use, the dress will be stunning and go wonderfully with your theme.

If you decide to go the eyelet route, this website has ivory eyelet fabric for $5.75/yd. I have absolutely *no* idea how much fabric it takes to make a wedding gown, but I *believe* I heard most any wedding gown can be made with 15 yards...so for a tea-length shirtdress (which would take at least 5 yards less, don't you think?), you might be able to get your fabric for under $60.00. That's quite a deal, compared to what I'm looking at for silk satin...around $400 for fabric alone, if I'm lucky!
38.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2006 1:40:52 AM
Author: San Diego Bride

i don''t know if this is the same one, but here are a couple more views...
HI:

That CH shirtdress is absolutely stunning.

cheers--Sharon

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, I have no pix but I just wanted to say that I LOVE this dress! It is retro-cool and sooo elegant!

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
ebree,

in my experience you actually need a lot less material for a wedding gown. i bought 4 yards for mine and will have a lot left over. it will be a sleeveless, v neck with slim a line skirt and short train for a short bride. (i''m 5''3"). you actually need twice as much material since the dress needs to be lined as well... three times as much if you''re using lace (you line the lace then line the dress), but the lining should be less expensive. so hopefully the material for your dress will be less than you''re expecting. hope this helps!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2006 2:42:27 PM
Author: San Diego Bride

ebree,

in my experience you actually need a lot less material for a wedding gown. i bought 4 yards for mine and will have a lot left over. it will be a sleeveless, v neck with slim a line skirt and short train for a short bride. (i'm 5'3'). you actually need twice as much material since the dress needs to be lined as well... three times as much if you're using lace (you line the lace then line the dress), but the lining should be less expensive. so hopefully the material for your dress will be less than you're expecting. hope this helps!

SDBride, that is WONDERFUL to hear! I thought 15 yards seemed excessive (10 yards, even!), but I know absolutely nothing about dressmaking. Was 4 yards enough to make the dress AND line it? I'm pretty sure I'll be buying dutchess silk satin (for a seamstress) and it is PRICEY! Around $50/yard from what I've seen online. I doubt I'd need to line the gown in silk satin, though.

Sorry for the hijack, Deco! We now return to talking about your amazing shirtdress.
9.gif

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
no, it''s not enough for the lining, ebree. i bought 4 yards of alcenon lace for $60/yard (it will actually take a little less, but it seemed a good idea to have extra) and then 7 yards of podesua (?spelling) for $7/yard to line the lace itself and then line the dress. the fabric came in at just under $300 which seems a little pricey, but is absolutely gorgeous. (think monique lhuillier). and lucky for me the seamstress is amazing and free... my mom!

sorry to continue the hijack...

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have anything useful to contribute, but I have to say I LOVE the idea of a shirt dress in eyelet or gingham for your barn wedding! How fantastic! You rock, deco!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results